Pajero 2004

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 11:10
ThreadID: 8697 Views:2083 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I currentley own a 98 Prado and am looking at upgrading to a new Pajero. I have done a search of the archives and haven't found any real life experiences of the Pajeros traction control system. The 2004 models now have it standard across the range and this is one of the reasons I am looking seriously at the Pajero. Any info wopuld be greatly appreciatted.

A lot of people seem to bash the Paj for its monocoque construction and Indpendent suspension. Follow this link and click on the Bushmaster video link if you want to see what a 4wd with independent suspension and a monocoque hull can be made to do. By the way its Australian designed and built.

http://www.adi-limited.com/3-09-020-000-000.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: William - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 13:00

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 13:00
We have two of the current model Pajero 3.2 DiD
I drive the Exceed which has the traction control and can only describe it as awesome how good it is
My Paj Exceed has 88,000k and the other one 53,000k
These vehicles are constantly offroad in rough country often with no tracks and cannot fault the Pajero
Had one door locked fixed under warranty
We are about to buy another new Pajero in January to replace a Prado
Service and maintenance costs on the Pajero are close to half of the Prado
Overall the Prado has been one of the most expensive vehicles to maintain and operate in our small fleet of 9 vehicles
AnswerID: 38173

Follow Up By: muppo - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:38

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:38
William have you had a drive of the new 3.8 and if so what sort of difference is there between it and the 3.5. I am looking at a new 3.8 or a run out exceed 3.5 for thousands of $$$$ cheaper than new 3.8.
FollowupID: 27803

Follow Up By: Huddo - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 19:48

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 19:48
William thanks for the response. How does the traction control go in sand.
FollowupID: 27816

Follow Up By: William - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 15:00

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 15:00
We do not have petrol vehicles so dont know about the petrol engine
The traction control in sand is incredible. You have to experience it to believe how good it is. You can feel the power being transferred to the different wheels. Where other vehicles get stuck in the sand you just keep going.
FollowupID: 27884

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:41

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:41
Spend enough money on any car it can be a winner... Look at Paris Dakar, come people consider those cars to be Pajeros, Patrols, Landcruisers etc too, the bills are usually paid for by the manufacturer, thats as close as it gets... If you think a IFS car is as good as a non IFS car offroad (depending what you consider offroading - dirt roads or Mud, ruts, etc) please think again... (queue: Sroly)

At Robe few weeks ago, there was a newish Blue (latest shape) Paj attempting a large sandhill (Very deceptive, when I got to the base of it on my attempt, it was STEEP) with 4 adults in it... It was auto, they got a good runup, and had 6-8 attempts didnt make it.. Road tires and all -( probably at 45psi though).... So Traction control didnt really help...

He did try the same tracks each time which got chopped up lots in the end. i got photos of the ruts here somewhere...

Swings had a go in his 90 mod Petrol GQ on Gas, shagged MT's at 14psi, 1 on board, and got up second time, no lockers nuthin'... He also has it all on video...
AnswerID: 38202

Follow Up By: brett - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:37

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:37
I don't think traction control would help in this case, it's main function is to stop a spinning wheel if it lifts off the ground and breaks traction and transfer the drive to the other wheel which is hopefully firmly on the ground. in sand I think you actually want the tyres spinning a bit, energy and momentum is lost by brakeing wheels in sand. Most right ups say it is a good thing and will definatley take you further on a rough slippery track. I was unsure about it when I bought mine as you lose the rear LSD with TC which I thought would be better in sand than TC.Also when I bought mine it was a $3500 option, there wasn't much written about it when I bought mne so I decided against it and figured if I reallly needed something I could get a front air locker for under $2000 which should be better than TC.
FollowupID: 27726

Reply By: paul - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:58

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:58
On the subject of Paris/Dakar pajo's, what the hell do they do to them - last time it came up on my telly (when i could afford cable) i noticed the weight of a 4 door competition pajero was like about 1500Kg but with like quadruple the fuel tank, that sort of maths confuses me cause its a 1900Kg vehicle with a standard fuel tank so sure take out the seats and you lose like 100Kg but quadruple the fuel tank and ... get my drift, so like is everything aluminium but the diffs or something and how come that can actually call them Pajeros ?
AnswerID: 38206

Follow Up By: dixie ( W.A.) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 21:11

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 21:11
Thats easy ! its the body ! same as the" mighty monaro" winning the 24 hr race ,lets see you go buy one fitted with a 427 ci motor from the factory !!
FollowupID: 27730

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 15:40

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 15:40
Thats my point. The only thing the same as the comp paj and the streeter is the badge, well the shape and color, the race one is probably carbon fiber..

Carbon fiber body and panels, interior and seats mostly, with Titanium everything else. Imagine the dry weight.

Only the sad would consider them similar in anyway!
FollowupID: 27792

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 15:42

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 15:42
as for the 427 they were doing it, took orders and all...

then for some reason they cancelled the plans to build... Which in a safety idea, is a good idea. 98% of the plonkers that buy cars like that, they cant drive so would be dangerous! All image and 'think they can drive like Brock'...
FollowupID: 27793

Reply By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:05

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:05
Buy the one that you like and that will do what you want it to do. If all you need is a Pajero, get it! My view has always been that there's no such thing as a good Mitsubishi.......
P.S. I only have one eye and it's got another brand name inscribed in it.....Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 38342

Follow Up By: Huddo - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:08

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:08
Russell

I currentley have a Prado RV6 and didn't think I would look at anything else it has been fantastic. I was planning to buy another Prado but from all reports the new Prado is worse than the old Pajero off road. The Mitsubishi dealer is going to give me a massive discount ($7k). Add to this the fact that Toyota still think something like Air Con is an option in Australia. Here are a list of a few things I have discovered in the last few weeks about the base model Pajero compared to the Prado:

Best diesel in class (121kw vs 96kw),
Best transmission in class (5 speed auto didn't think I would be buying an auto ethier till I drove this one last weekend),
Standard alloy wheels,
Standard air con,
Standard Traction, stability, and descent control,
Standard CD player
Standard Cruise Control
Better ergonomics than Prado
Better on road handling
Reported better offroad (with traction control) than current Prado
The dealer is happy to put a bullbar, snorkel and Cooper tyres on it before it is delivered,
2 week delivery time,
Service costs are half that of Prado,
Diesel service interval is 15000km instead of Prados 5000kms

The only thing I think the Prado has over it is looks, and I'm not spending this sort of money on looks.
FollowupID: 27909

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 08:34

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 08:34
When you put it like that, it does sound good....for a Mitsubishi :-)) The torque figures are a bit closer than the power numbers would suggest, so I'm not sure the performance will be that much different. I don't care how good an auto is, I still haven't come to grips with letting go of the gear stick. That said, I reckon Prado will come out with a CRD and 5 speed auto sometime, either next upgrade or the one after, depending on how the sales are going - and I might have changed my tune by then. Alloy wheels and the electronic attempts-to-make-up-for-vehicle-deficiency things don't impress, but some of the other things sound quite good. I agree that they have softened up the Prado from the old model, and the base model Prado is not something that I'd buy - it's missing too many things that I want - big fuel tanks etc. Hope it works out for you.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 27967

Reply By: Rodney - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 17:33

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 17:33
I know this isn't really a test of traction ads , but at the sydney motor show, i went in a DID Pajero and V8 Landcruiser, both had traction control devises. The Landcruiser traction system could be heard and seem to struggle for a minute before moving on. The Pajeros traction control didn't make a nosie and moved on without a fuss. I also notice the Pajero's traction control could be turned off, im not sure with the cruiser as i did not ask.
AnswerID: 38409

Sponsored Links