Japanese Imports 60 series Toyota's

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 17:40
ThreadID: 8703 Views:2035 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Believe they are importing Landcruisers into the country - think they have to be 15 years old - so that would make them the 60 series I suppose - does anyone know anything about these models being imported - are the parts the same ? The turbo versions are they the same as those fitted to the White Lightnings etc (they were a good motor I believe). Any info on these would be appreciated ! I know there are problems possibly with insurance - though if body panels are the same then the only other issue will be are the gearboxes, motor etc - if they differ. If they are the same as those provided here in Oz then the insurance should not be a problem - but who knows.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 18:29

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 18:29
cosmopolitancars.com.au but they don't say anything about them being imports, most of the ones they have for sale carry winchs on a bumper bar setup,funny looking thing. Anyway Iam sure if you get in contact they will tell you want you want to know.
BruceMU-ving on
AnswerID: 38200

Reply By: paul - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:53

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:53
i was helping a friend shop for one. THe owner was great and had taken it far and wide but what put me off recommending it was it was her first 4WD and she was going to a job way west or Alice and all the bloody instructions were in japanese and the parts were in japanese and it was 24v not 12 and it had a factory sunroof that the original (got mates that have them) never had and little bits like that plus a push button 4WD system that the original Australian models never had (well i might be corrected there cause i've never seen them on a non-import model) so all sorts of bits like that made me think sure any diesel mechanic can fix a 60 series but being able to find out what is wrong when the parts are in Japanese and some parts that don't even exist on Australian 60 series etc it might be worth finding a non-import, and we did and she is still out there and thinks its the bees knees, so was the mechanic that worked on it last service.

So there may be some inaccuracies in the above that others can correct but you know at the end of the day it may have the same motor but its fixing up the other bits that could cause major headaches.

good luck (ps we found the prices around the same)
AnswerID: 38205

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:47

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:47
Paul,

You wanted corrections so here goes...
All Aussie 60 series Saharas came with factory electric sunroofs - they were all high roof.
Some 60 series and 70 series (Bunderas etc) had push button, vacuum operated H4, and lever operated 4wd. Seems to work fine, but don't touch the button if your hubs are unlocked!

It was released in 1985 (2H diesel or 3F petrol) and then as a 12H-T factory TD in 1986. The latter was the pick of the motors by far.

Yes, the imports are often 24 volt (PITA), and many have factory diff locks.

The 12H-T is easier to work on and maintain than the 2H - direct injection, no glow plugs etc. Any mechanic can fix.

Maintenance of these imports may be sus.
FollowupID: 27728

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 19:38

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 19:38
Thanks for your replies, the 24 volt bit sounds a bit iffy especially when going for after market accessories !Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 38290

Sponsored Links