Cooper Creek Ferry

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:07
ThreadID: 87094 Views:2806 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
From Weatherzone today:-

South Australian outback residents are on stand-by for the Birdsville Track to be cut off by floodwaters from Queensland. The floodwaters have almost reached the roadway. The Cooper Creek punt is expected to be running again in just over a week, as the floodwaters make their way down from Queensland. Alan Morris from the Transport Department says the punt is ready to go as soon as the water crosses the Birdsville Track. "We'll be responding quite quickly to ensure that it causes minimal disruption to the travelling public," he said. The punt has also been extended so it can carry vehicles with campervans.

I'm sure member Stephen L will have more info in the next few days.

Regards
nrb1748
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:52

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:52
We are due through there on 9th July so looks like we will get a ferry ride. I hope the cueue is not too long. We don't want to be late for dinner at the Muranganie Hotel.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 457978

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 14:31

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 14:31
Hi nrb1748

The reason why I have not given out any latest updates is because from what my contacts have to say, there is still a lot of uncertainty as to weather the ferry will actually run.

Now that you have asked, this is now the most reliable up to date information that I can post and more reliable than the Weatherzone report.

These are the true facts from Patsy at Etadunna as of 10.30am Monday 20th June and my later phone call with my contact within Transport SA.

Yes the water has reached the actual ferry site, filled Lake Kopperamanna and is at the windrow of the actual Birdsville Track, but not over the actual Track as of today. The Cooper has slightly picked up in speed over the last few weeks, but nothing compared to last year, with an average height in water levels increasing around 5cm per day, some more, some less.

Last year there was a very large volume of water that came down the Cooper, with massive and constant local rain and within 24 hours of reaching and crossing the Birdsville Track, the water level was over 1.2 metres deep in many places over the road.

This season in 2011, there has been no substantial rainfall around Etadunna Station since January and as late as 10 days ago, they were still getting daytime temperatures of around 31 degrees C.

As for the actual ferry, road conditions over the Birdsville Track have to be unsafe for standard conventional vehicles before the actual ferry will take its first vehicle. The ferry has been serviced, and Transport SA road crews are in place for the moment that it is deemed important for the ferry to run. Just because the Cooper crosses the actual Birdsville Track, will not give the green light for the ferry and at its current rate of flow, it could still be another 2 or 3 weeks for the ferry might run, if at all.

I have also had it confirmed from my Transport SA contact that the causeway at Innamincka is now officially open, with around only 20cm of water over it. The water levels up there have dropped far quicker that was anticipated, with still over 4 metres of water over the causeway only 3 weeks or so ago.

Please do not think that I am cynical, as I would love to see the ferry run again this year, as it could be the last chance for a very long time, but if it does run, it will only be for a short period, compared to this time last year.

Like I have said many times in the past, the moment that I have any more local information from the site, readers on the forum will be the first to hear about it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 457988

Follow Up By: Skippype - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 14:55

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 14:55
Thanks for that information Stephen.
I intend to drive from Birdsville to Marree on Thursday of this week. I have a 79 series LC ute so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Skip
FollowupID: 731297

Follow Up By: muffin man - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:24

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:24
Stephen,
Refer post 87049, this info regarding the causeway was public knowledge and posted here several days ago.
MM
FollowupID: 731301

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:31

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:31
I read that post the other day no mention of the causeway being open

Birdsville - Innimincka Open at Last
Submitted: Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 19:37
muffin man
As the topic states, how long has it been since that road was open.
MM

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 731302

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:45

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:45
Hi Stephen,

You are keeping up to your usual high standard of supplying great info.

Due to your info last year we crossed the Cooper twice, once as it was crossing the Birdsville Track (June 1) and by ferry in September.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 731305

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:47

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:47
Hi Skip

Your ute will take it in its stride, as that is the same as they use of Etadunna Station. Depending on how quick the water does rise, you could have water over the road and as a plus, you could ever get a ferry ride, either way the Track sounds like it is in good condition.

Last year, the boys from Etadunna were driving through the water when it was over the bonnet, which as you know is quite deep.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 731315

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:52

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:52
Hi MM

When I read the forum post that you referred too back then, the information that I have supplied today was not mentioned at all, eg water depth over the causeway..

I have just reread the post, and again there is none of the details that I have supplies.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 731316

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:57

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 18:57
Hi John

Thanks for that, but the real thanks go to Jason and Patsy from Etadunna Station and Juanita from Transport SA. Without the correct details that they have supplied I would not have been able to keep everyone up to date with accurate information. I personally do hope that the ferry does go again, as we are up that way again in early August and it would give me an excuse for another ride...LOL

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 731317

Follow Up By: muffin man - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:20

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:20
No need to mention the causeway was open, anyone with any idea would know it still had water flowing and stopping you from getting through. Last Thursday the water level had dropped enough and was subsequently put on the Northern Roads Report. In future I will post every minute detail for those who need it.
Muffin Man
FollowupID: 731360

Follow Up By: Skippype - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 05:50

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 05:50
Thanks for that Stephen. Makes me feel a lot better. I was thinking of scraping the whole trip and just heading south through the Warri gate,
Now I will head to Birdsville in the morning and down to Marree on Thursday.
Cheers
Skip
FollowupID: 731361

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 19:22

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 19:22
G'day all

I guess it comes down to this:

Do you want to rely on a post that says "how long since this has been open.", end of post;
or do you rely on info provided by a well respected long time member and his impeccable informants?

No disrespect to anyone, but I know who I'd be listening to.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 458009

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:09

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:09
I agree with you, Dave. As a person with interest in this particular part of the outback but has never been there I want as much information as I can get so I really appreciate contributors like Stephen L. And particularly right now as in about three weeks I will finally get to drive through it. A ferry crossing will be an interesting addition but most of all I want to know as much about the conditions that I will meet.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 731368

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 19:40
Applauding loudly at Dave and Kevin.Well said fellas.

The time and effort Stephen has put into what I believe to be his personal interest has been extremely valuable. Just have a look at the view counts whenever Stephen posts anything with Cooper Creek in the title.

Sure the information might be available else where.....but again, the view count suggests people are confidant that the information Stephen posts is accurate, concise and up to date....often days ahead of any government website.

OK...off the soap box now.

Fab.
FollowupID: 731451

Reply By: Member - graham h5 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 20:10

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 20:10
Sounds like a good chance ferry will be on again this year had privelidge of riding last
year too! Will be heading to birdsville on July 8 can't wait!
AnswerID: 458111

Sponsored Links