Rust proofing

Hi,

My question relates to the issue of rust proofing, not which is the better method (electonic or chemical) but whether or not it's needed in modern vehciles. While I've had my '91 GQ patrol Endrusted from new and resprayed each year as I do use it as a 4wd it still leaves me wondering if it's money well spent. Most better vehicles now have plated pannels (floor and guards)I know my GQ has these so is it really necessary to use rust prevention if you are carefull to wash off any salt etc. Have others had experience where they don't rust proof and still have no problems in the long term (7-10 years).

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: charl makssi - Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00
hi ray, i also am a proud owner of a 94 GQ ti as is a friend of mine who owns an 88 patrol. we have never had any kind of rust proofing what so ever and both vehicles are in excellent condition. ray it really comes down to basic cleaning program and not just after a trip in the scrub. the best advice for rust prevention is always keep it clean and always use quality cleaning products. for detailed rust prevention consult your nissan owners manual. best luck.
AnswerID: 2503

Follow Up By: Ray - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Charl, I agree.
FollowupID: 963

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00
Hey Ray. I have an ERPS electronic unit on my Rodeo, however as it is only 18 months old I can't really report on long term effect.

I did some work for a crowd who made steel traybacks for Toyota and, new from the showroom floor the cars had surface rust on the chassis. The original spray job of the chassis was very average and there was exposed metal in quite a few areas. I suppose that this is where rust is likely to begin.

I think my ERPS cost around $300 and I am quite happy to pay that for peace of mind. I will have the vehicle for probably 5 years, so I'll just transfer it tp the next vehicle.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 2506

Follow Up By: Ray - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Mark,

I've heard good and bad reports on the electronic units the same as the chemical treatments. I guess in the long run it's peace of mind. I will probably go in that direction this time along with good cleaning practices. Hope it works for you.
FollowupID: 964

Sponsored Links