Great Central Highway

Has anyone done the Great Central Highway with a caravan recently? The last road conditions report says caution - loose surface. Thats OK but is there anything more recent which would suggest not taking a Landcruiser and 17'6" off road caravan across.

Thanks folks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:25
Hi Richard and Leonie

A thread search brought up a few i could see from March/April and there may be more recent as the Search does not sort in date order for me.Great Central Road

Member Tjukayirla Roadhouse posts reports here when something out that way changes.

Rain can close the road, and has done so a few times over the past months.

An good off roader built to stand up to long and often corrugated roads will get through OK. The worst part is usually the NT side, and a week or so after grading it is little different to before grading.

My Blog on the Great Central Road 2008 has some of the things to see along the way without taking diversions to other features which we missed as we were on our way home.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 458181

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:08
Thanks. Motherhen living up to the name.
FollowupID: 731608

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:47
G'day Richard and Leonie, We actually keep the road conditions updated fairly regularly on this website, under the treks/ road conditions/ tab. We also keep our own website tjukayirlaroadhouse.com.au up to date with current info.
Also, as Motherhen said, if anything changes drastically, we try and update on the forum here.
At the moment the road is in great condition with just a few corrugated sections, with the worse part being the docker River to Kata Tjuta section as usual. We are getting caravans through everyday at the moment, with no problems.
Drop in and say g'day and have a cuppa when you come through.
Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 458185

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:12

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:12
Thanks. You can rest assured we will be calling in. We have two spare wheels on the van, each with an ExplorOz cover to push the web site as the best for 4WD travellers and helpful forumites.
FollowupID: 731609

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:54
doneit last week in my hilux ;road reasonably good; but keep your speed down;there is a lot off ball bearing type gravel;saw a roll over near warburton ;some aboriginals involved;if you look at some off their vehicles and the way they are driven you can understand why;if you want to gotoo lasseters cave look for a sign that says rest area ;if you can take a photo of the protection cages around the fuel pumps on the gch and put it on this site ;would be good ;called in at the tjukayiria roadhouse for few goodies;lovely lady there i wanted too camp the night but was having a mechanical problem so had too keep going;make sure you call in and mention exploroz ;highest price for deisel was 230 or 240 at warburton then down too 180 at yulara up too 190 on the stuart hwy until alice not sure what that was now maybe between 160 and 170;if you want too visit giles weather station the tour starts at 815 if their is an afternoon tour you have too ring them ;i do not think there would be any problem too take your; van the road is under repair in a few places ;if there was too be a lot of rain could it could get a little slippery if you have any more queries i could be offsite for afew days ;enjoy the trip its wonderful bye barry
AnswerID: 458188

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:16
Thanks for the advice and info. I can remember driving the road to Weipa and hitting those type of ball bearing pebbles. At 90 kph we went from left side of the road across virtually 4 lanes to the right side, down into the ditch and back out again without stopping to change my underpants. It was luck more than skilled driving we didn't roll and get killed.
FollowupID: 731610

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 09:41

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 09:41
Hi Barry, glad you got back ok, did you work out what the problem was with your vehicle?
Richard and Leonie, there was a Toyota echo in yesterday, did the trip from Yulara over with that much carp on their roofrack..haha! They only blew one tyre on the trip over. We see all sorts of vehicles come through here, and would see at least 6 or 8 caravans a day, so you'll be right. Just take it nice and steady.
Looking forward to catching up with you on the way through..
Serena :)
(the lovely lady..HA! Thanks Barry)
FollowupID: 731658

Reply By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 21:52
Richard and Leonie,

I don't have any recent up dates, but i can tell you we drove it last November without any problems. the worst of the corrogation is around Dokar river. During our time, we encountered some rain which made the track a tad slippery, but still open at that time. my son and I wrote an account of our trip in the blogs section called 'across Australia off the cuff'.
Now before we went in November, My old man had driven across it in September/October with a caravan being pulled by a '97 Nissan Patrol. No problems.

Have a great trip!
John
AnswerID: 458197

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 22:16
Thanks John. This sort of information is good for the missus peace of mind. We are off for 3 months with an off road caravan and whilst we have taken it off road and it performed well, this trip is a big one. We had an Aussie Swag before and have never worried about doing this sort of crossing. That extra tonne behind will undoubtably make a difference.
FollowupID: 731635

Follow Up By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 22:24

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 22:24
R&L,
the road is perfectly fine. in fact if you go to http://www.outbackway.org.au it explains the track in great detail. there are heaps of fuel stops etc.

John
FollowupID: 731639

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 08:03

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 08:03
Thanks for the link. Very handy
FollowupID: 731651

Reply By: Member - mark and shaz n (WA) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 13:12

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 13:12
We are heading off too - on the 1st of August to do it and then up to the bungles and on to broome
AnswerID: 458236

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 15:49

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 15:49
We will be way ahead of you. We should be crossing about the 6th - 8th July. We flew over the Bungles a couple of years ago and it was magnificent from the air. Now we need to see it from the ground. Someone tells me Middle Lagoon north of Broome is nice.
FollowupID: 731691

Reply By: wizzer73 - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:36

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:36
drove the bit from laverton to warburton 3 weeks ago not towing. saw quite alot of vans. the bit from laverton to tjurkilya rh was in good condition. the bit between tjurkilya and warburton was ok too except for one bit closer to warburton that was very corrugated. however the grader was in the area so this bit is probably ok by now.

wizzer
AnswerID: 458254

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:38

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:38
bad spelling....Tjukayirla rh is what i mean

wizzer
FollowupID: 731699

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 17:04

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 17:04
Thanks for replying. It sounds like Pitt Street on a Friday afternoon!
FollowupID: 731702

Sponsored Links