Hilux LN106R

Submitted: Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 06:41
ThreadID: 87162 Views:4647 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Guys;

Im thinking of buying a 1993 Hilux LN106R that has 380k on the clock. Ad says it has had a Fuel pump rebuild, Diff rebuild, plus some new this an that.
I dont know much about Hilux's and was wondering if anyone could tell me if these are a good vehicle to buy or are they proned to have ongoing issues. The vehicle will be used for about 80% road use and the other 20% for normal 4x4 driving.
Any feedback would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark&Sue - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 07:24

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 07:24
Has the motor been rebuilt , if not would suggest getting Compression test as they are prone to blowing around the 400k. Cheers.
AnswerID: 458304

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:37

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:37
II've had 2 of this model hilux 89' and im still driving a 96' model. The 89' model did over 525000km with no motor issues at all. And the 96' model has 405000km and still going strong. One problem with them and most live axle Toyotas is leaking oil from the front hubs. Also check rear axle oil seals for leaks around and over the drums. Im presuming its a diesel, if its had regular oil and filter changes it may last another 100,000km or so. The reason some blow up is from poor maintenance. How much are they asking for it? $4000 would be my top offer.
FollowupID: 731798

Reply By: ross - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 16:21

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 16:21
It all comes down to how much you pay for it. They are great 4wds but as the others have pointed out,the klms are getting high.
If the price is ok,it may well be worth taking the risk,but you would have to be sure you could afford an engine rebuild.
AnswerID: 458346

Reply By: caba - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 16:53

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 16:53
Thanks all for the input.

The vehicle asking price is 9000 ono. It is a diesel but the add does not say anything about engine rebuild but has had 2" lift kit and and heavy duty suspension, alloy rims, canopy and the other usual extras.

I am also looking at an original HJ47 that has no rust in cab (which I know they were prone to) and has been looked after. for 7500.

I think the HJ would be the better vehicle just doesnt have the crew cab for those times you have the extra passengers.

AnswerID: 458349

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 20:44

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 20:44
Tell him he dreaming. Brother sold his 95 three years ago with only 200000ks for about $7000. Any vehicle with that many ks is worth buggar all.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 731837

Reply By: Member - Krakka - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:09

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:09
$9000.00 ONO, not a chance. I sold mine a '92, back in 2003 with 327k on the clock for 9k, and that took some selling. Was in great cond mechanically and body wise. Still see it on the road regularly. As said 4K would be realistic.
AnswerID: 458359

Follow Up By: caba - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:28

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:28
thanks for the heads up, sounded like a good deal when I read it, but goes to show not everything that sounds good is. Glad I asked first.

Happy camping
FollowupID: 731827

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 20:44

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 20:44

We had a 1991 LN106R from 2004 to 2011 (sold it a couple of months ago). We sold ours at almost 500000km because it was blowing too much smoke and was likely to need a pump and/or engine rebuild. If it needed an engine rebuild, the rebuild was going to cost $3000+.

If the engine on the one you're looking at is good, maybe offer them $5-6000. If the engine needs work offer them $2-3000.

The hilux is a great 4WD and is really easy to customise. Ours had a 2" lift and 31" tyres and would go anywhere. They're not fast but they're reliable and reasonably economical (average 11 L/100km).

Redbook says the top private sale price is $6500. Is it from a dealer or does it come with lots of good accessories?

Hilux vs Landcruiser... Win/Win really :-)
AnswerID: 458366

Reply By: caba - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 20:58

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 20:58
Thanks Guys for all the constructive feedback.

Decided to stay away from the hilux and look at the Landcruisers, found some good HJ47's. I've had had plenty of dealings with these and feel more confident in the bush with one.

Again thanks to you all for un-confusing the head space.
AnswerID: 458370

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 21:02

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 21:02
sold my 95 DC 245000km for $7900, reasonable cond, new head. 1st caller took it about 8 weeks back.
Of any 90s diesel ute the Toyota 4cyl will handle the km as good or better than any others overall.
AnswerID: 458371

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)