dual battery in disco '03 td5

Submitted: Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 14:54
ThreadID: 8720 Views:2600 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone installed a dual battery system recently in a discovery td5 '03 ? Want to run an engel fridge and would like advice on which battery and what type to use. I know the existing cradle you buy will only fit an 8" battery ( about 50amp/hr). Any advice on what management system to use. Has anyone installed a gel battery inside the vehicle and where or replaced the land rover battery with a big deep cycle and used the auxilary spot for a new cranking battery. Thanks for any help.
Jacs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:33

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:33
Jacs,
I am about update my 2000TD5 for a new one (tomorrow I hope). I had the extra battery clamped down in one of the cargo boxes in the back (mine have been 5 seaters). I rescued the Optima yellowtop from the old car befoer trading it. I ran a heavy duty cable from the main battery back to the auxuiliary battery (50A fuse at each end) and used a manual switch (marine grade) instead of solenoid etc. You don't need to get an Optima. A sealed gel unit for about $140 from the battery factory will work too, I did this in my other car when I resisted shelling out $300 for another Optima. My original LR battery failed (internal derangement) so I fitted an Optima Redtop as the cranking battery. From my initial inspection I should be able to transplant the whole lot into the new car without modification.Bob
AnswerID: 38304

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 22:25

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 22:25
I use a gel-cel battery as my aux battery under the hood.... I run my engel 40litre and also my compressor for my locker........
Every time i make comment on here about how much fridge life i get from my battery i get bagged because no-one believes it can last that long without being started....

My batt is 120amp/hour @ 12volts and has kept me in cold drinks for a year without a hitch...._____________________________________________

Sponsored Links