Dog in front of cruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 22:47
ThreadID: 87216 Views:2953 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Well now I have seen everything, tonight while my wife and I were taking our 3 year old to in-laws there was a land cruiser cab chassis beside us, the usual steel pig cage on the back, spotties across the top, single spotty in the middle of the roof and the pigging dog sound asleep in a steel cage mounted to the front of the bull bar, what tha, we had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a dead pig and he had run out of room on the ute, but no we were correct, here was the dog sound asleep (it did move at one stage so we new it was alive) curled up. Surely besides been cruel this must be illegal ?? And I hope to god he has good brakes because if he runs up the clacker of some one that dog would be a goner. It just looked like a steel crate made out of concreting rio tied together, then tied to bull bar, had it been daylight I would have got a picture of it with my phone but was to dark and my phone camera wouldn't have picked it up, didn't even think of getting number plate we were so gob smacked with what we saw. So besides been irresponsible this must surely be illegal as well ??..........................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: p_marns - Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:13

Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:13
illegal maybe i dont know, but why would it be cruel. What difference to the dog if his cage is mounted on the front or the back?
AnswerID: 458527

Follow Up By: old mate - Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:17

Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:17
If the dog is in the back at least its sheltered from the wind, heat, rain spray bugs etc and as the OP posted, in the event of a rear ender.....

Also sounded like a pretty flimsy sort of set up.

If you had a dog, would you treat it likre that??
FollowupID: 732046

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:21

Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:21
Huge difference when it comes to wether animal is killed or not. If he has a head on or runs up some ones butt, the first thing to get crushed and killed will be the dog, big difference to sitting up on a tray top and usually the dogs are up near he head board so if the cruiser gets ploughed up the rear, the chance of the dog getting injured is minimal...................there wasnt even a top on the cage, but my main thought was the dog getting crushed between the steel bullbar the ute had on it and what ever he hits.............it was liturally sitting out in front of the bullbar, picture a milk crate hanging from the front of a bullbar, not on top, but out in front...........
FollowupID: 732047

Follow Up By: old mate - Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:23

Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:23
Yep, iI hear ya.
FollowupID: 732048

Reply By: old mate - Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:14

Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:14
Highly illegal and cruel.

If ya spot him again - get his number and report it.
AnswerID: 458528

Follow Up By: p_marns - Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:46

Sunday, Jun 26, 2011 at 23:46
hey old mate, dont get me wrong i am an animal lover, the only ones i ll harm is flies and mozzies, but sometimes people get confused about animal cruelty. dogs love being on the back of utes ,hangin out the sides, lookin over the top, getting the wind in their face, tongue hangin out. Maybe to the dog being up front is even better. We do it on boats etc titanic style , and thrill rides. Just a theory thats all.
FollowupID: 732049

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 16:05

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 16:05
It is illegal to carry any livestock without frontal protection from the wind.
FollowupID: 732085

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 06:34

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 06:34
It would be illegal to have a structure attached to the bullbar, even fishing rod holders are.
It would have to be some 'intelligent' dog owners way of being smart. Quite a few pig dog owners lack any grey matter and this is a perfect example..

DW
AnswerID: 458535

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 08:23

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 08:23
From what I understand it is illegal to have anything protruding further out than the structure of the roo bar. This would include fishing rod holders, spot lights, arials etc. All these items attached to the roo bar need to be behind the line of the bar work - in other words what ever you hit with the roo bar should come in contact with the bar work first and not some sharp edged fishing rod holder.

I have seen out board motors, spare tyres, lots of fishing rod holders, spot lights, aerials and sand flag mounts, roof rack extensions all sitting or protruding beyond the roo bar. All technically illegal. Some only by a minor bit - some dangerously.

I am sure this one will get picked up by an alert cop pretty soon if he hangs out in the city for a while.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 458539

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:37

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:37
What!!!!
Not even a crash helmet or seat belt?
AnswerID: 458550

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 21:04

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 21:04
Hairy,
he was on the front of a Harley and the owner had supplied him with earplugs, so all the workplace health and safety concerns had been addressed.

FollowupID: 732131

Reply By: OzTroopy - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 14:48

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 14:48
Probably a much higher chance of the dog dying from having its throat or chest ripped open by a tusk ... or chewing on a bait in a paddock or starving to death after being abandoned one night .... than getting squished in a vehicle accident .... especially if the driver is taking into account vehicle speeds and vehicle seperation distances.

But a vehicle accident is certainly possible in the nescessary driving conditions ....

So where was the vehicle ..... Was it doing 110 up the freeway ( and stupidly so ) ..... or poking along steady and safe on a back road somewhere ????
AnswerID: 458565

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 18:54

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 18:54
It was going through Seven Hills here in Sydney and he was ducking and weaving between lanes untill we got to the traffic lights which was when were able to get a good look at the set up, while he wasnt causing any issues to anyone he certainly wasnt taking it easy and at some stages was tailgating hence our concern if he ran up some ones butt...................
FollowupID: 732109

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 23:43

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 23:43
Soooooo ... the feral pig population has survived the "effective" NPWS management and expanded into city huh ????

LOL

In the circumstances you describe .... I agree with you ... the blokes a fool.
FollowupID: 732146

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 15:26

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 15:26
Hi Kimba,

They prob use it to chase down the pigs get close enough stop (or slow a bit) then release a door which springs open letting the dogs out to catch it.

Prob illegal on main roads but common enough out in the bush.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 458568

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 19:02

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 19:02
Yeah more then likely the set up you have described but would have thought driving on main roads he would put the dog up on the back of the tray out of harms way ???? I have seen numerous pigging rigs everywhere and dont have any issues with what the guys do but I have never seen this set up before where their is possible danger. Yes I know the dogs can be torn apart when pigging and so on and that is some thing the owners some times face but hanging out the front of the ute to me is a bit silly to put your pet wether its a working dog or not in this sort of danger, certainly not some thing you see a farmer with his kelpie's or border collie's, usually on the back of the tray ready to jump.................
FollowupID: 732112

Reply By: Fatso - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 20:45

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 20:45
What's all the fuss about some morons dog when over 2000 people die each year on Australian roads.
Over 300 died in Qld last year & 6200 were hospitalised because of road accidents.
I wonder how many dogs got run over by the average idiot driver who thought they would get out of the way.
Speak of dogs. I remember some years back an elderly lady somewhere in Australia was killed by a bull terrier that flew out of a ute and hit her as it was going around a corner and she was waiting to cross the road.
As for the poor old pig shooters. They are on the way out. Just about everywhere you can't keep enough dogs to keep up a supply of trained dogs if you use holding dogs.
Can't use dogs if you supply the export market & it won't be long before the animals rights do-gooders get them in their sights. they won't stand a chance if the do-gooders have the power to bring down a $300,000,000 export industry & send 5000 workers to the dole office armed with no more than just a TV show.
AnswerID: 458601

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 09:46
Fatso,its my understanding the exporters and others in the live trade already knew about the cruel treatment of stock delivered to Indonesian abattoirs more than 6 months ago but chose to turn a blind eye.
This resulted in those with the proof taking it to the media.

In fact allegations of animal cruelty in the live export trade has been reported many times over the last 20 years ,so these are not really "out of the blue" cases.

Ive worked in abattoirs and meatworks all over this country and never saw the need to be intentionally cruel to animals and I dont see why they need to be that way in SE Asia.

I dont like seeing an industry threatened or its workers being thrown out of work,but the people in the trade had ample warning and chose to ignore it.
They are the ones who are largely to blame for their own misfortunes and should also shoulder the blame for those being thrown out of work,not the so called "do gooders" who you seem to blame for everything you lack understanding in.
FollowupID: 732164

Follow Up By: Fatso - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 15:31
It's a shame that people can't get as emotional about 2000 deaths a year on Australian roads as they do about the live cattle trade.
FollowupID: 732286

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 18:24
It is possible to be concerned about the death toll on the roads and animal cruelty unless you have some sort of single issue personality disorder. :wink:
FollowupID: 732298

Reply By: Member - Matt M - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 22:11

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 22:11
Poor man's Mack truck?
AnswerID: 458616

Follow Up By: Rosscotd105 - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 15:09

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 15:09
Don't agree with his actions but that made me smile.
FollowupID: 732284

Sponsored Links