MPPT Solar Regulators

Hi Guys,
I am looking at replacing my old solar regulator (it's finally broken) with one of these new MPPT jobs.
After looking around and asking a few folks, I have decided I want a quality unit, even if I have to pay a bit extra for it.
My question, has anyone on this forum tried the Roc-solid PS-2024-D unit yet?
They seem to be an Australian company but I have not heard of them before.
Cheers,
Pathy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oceanracer - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 17:43

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 17:43
Hi Pathy,

I've got one of those PS-2024-D units installed on my yatch and they work a dream. They have some great features and so easy to use. I've been able to increase the charge rate into my batteries from my previous solar regulator while I'm anchored and still using the same PV array. I rarely have a flat batter now. Think I paid around $350 for the unit and it is worth every dollar.
Good to see such a great Australian made product.
Rgds,
OR
AnswerID: 458780

Follow Up By: Pathmaster75 - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:13

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:13
Thanks OR,

Appreciate the feedback... just gives me a bit of confidence before I spend the money.

I have gone and bought one, hopefully I get it before the weekend so I can use it on my fishing trip.

Can't believe I am excited about a solar regulator of all things :)

Rgds Pathy
FollowupID: 732392

Reply By: Gav G - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 17:36

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 17:36
Hi Pathy

You won't go wrong with your choice. I bought a brand new Trak Shak (in 2007) with the solar panel option (3 x 65 watt panels) and an 80 amp hr deep cycle battery. The regulator included with the setup was a PL-20 (Plasmatronics). My main power draw is two 35 litre Waeco's (one is sometimes run as a freezer, the other as a fridge). Anyway...... I was constantly frustrated with the fridges shutting down due to low battery to the point that I upgraded the Battery to a 130 amp hour battery and carried a second 130 ahr to supplement. The PL-20 just died out of the blue about 3 months ago (Less than 4 years old!!!!!!!!!).

I replaced it with the Roc-solid PS-2024-D and the difference is amazing. My two big extra batteries are now surplus to requirements! The performance of the Roc-solid unit, especially when not in full sun (ie part shade from trees/clouds) is astounding. The Roc-solid is in a world on it's own and pumps so much more power into the batteries (using exactly the same panels). I am confident you will be very, VERY impressed - as I am. My setup now provides all the power I need on an ongoing basis - even in cloudy/shady conditions!

My only wish is that the Trak Shak had of come with the Roc-solid unit when I bought it, then I wouldn't have had to waste my money on some big deep cycle batteries just to get me through a long weekend.

I see from your follow up that you've gone and purchased one. Enjoy it.

Regards

Gav
AnswerID: 459088

Reply By: Wally - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 18:00

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 18:00
Hi Pathy,

Yeah, I have one of the older units without the LCD on the front.
It works a treat.
Had it for about 5 or 6 years now. I run a 50 liter Waeco fridge on a 70 amp hour deep cycle. It's never gone flat on me but I have 160W solar panel too.
I wish I had the new version with the LCD so I could set it up without my computer. Having said that, once it is set up, you never really have to touch it.
I just like to fiddle with things all the time :) Especailly when I am camping or when I get sick of fishing for a bit.

Enjoy, Wally
AnswerID: 459091

Sponsored Links