Karratha to Mulgowie on a postie bike

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 13:32
ThreadID: 87298 Views:2075 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day gang,

First time poster but long time reader. I couldn't let this one go past without mentioning a mad bugger of a mate of mine "Shank".
Shank set off yesterday on a trip from Karratha to Mulgowie in QLD, some 5300 km, on a Honda CT110 postie bike. Reason....just for the adventure.

What makes this even more amazing is the route he is taking, Karratha-Newman via Wittenoom, Newman, Kumarina R/H, Wiluna, Carnegie, Warburton, Warakurna R/H, Docker River, Yalura, Luritjard, Alice Springs, The Gem Tree On the Plenty, Jervois or Boya, Boulia and to his home in Mulgowie.
I'll also add that Shank is doing this solo which means solo......no support vehicles.
So if over the next 16 or so days you see a bloke on a postie riding though some of our most remote country side, wave him down say g'day and offer him a rum (because I know for a fact he couldn't fit any in).
Hope this story inspires many and hopefully a lucky few meet a bloody good Aussie bloke along they way.
Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 14:10

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 14:10
Hi Mick

In 2009 we met a man (from USA i think) being what he believed was the first person to cross Australia following (as close as possible) the Tropic of Capricorn on a postie bike. We were on a fairly remote desert road when we heard the put-put then saw the tiny bike. This man was also travelling solo. So your crazy friend is not alone with the means of travel.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 458858

Follow Up By: brianc - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:03

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:03
July 2009, must have been the guy we saw on the Gary Junction road, somewhere around Kirrirkurra I think. Couldn't quite believe what was coming at us in the distance. Gave a wave as he went past. I'm a bike nut from way back, but no, not into that sort of adventure.
FollowupID: 732427

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:16

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:16
Hi Brain c

I think it was along the Gary Junction somewhere - we went through late June. We both stopped and had a good chat; he was probably the only other person we saw that day.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 732428

Follow Up By: brianc - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:57

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:57
Well how about that. I just recognised your little tag photo. You were at Jupiter Well the same day as us I think. You guys had a broken bolt or something on the truck. Late June early July, can't remenber exactly. We were camped over nearer to the pump just for the one night, we came over to see if we could help but didn't have a big enough bolt or something.
FollowupID: 732432

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 16:19

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 16:19
Hi Brian - yes, that was us, and i remember you too. The Victorian group travelling west were wonderful. They worked half the night saying as they took over "Don't mind us - we're a bossy bunch of b----rs." When nothing else would substitute, they used a bolt from our Hayman Reece tow hitch and put something smaller to hold the caravan on, and we made it safely from Jupiter to Alice. The bolt was a unique size and shape and nothing else would fit, so we were stuck in Alice for a week (struck a long weekend) with the right part on order. We weren't game to go out of town for a few days peace, as that would have really been pushing our luck. All great people we meet in the outback which makes for a very memorable trip. Cheers, Mh

Now back to that postie bike before we get moderated for chit chat, it must have been shortly after that we met him, as you left about half an hour before us i recall. As he had started on the east coast, he'd had quite a ride and was well on the way to completing his ambitious record.

Having pin pointed the date - I've found it. He was originally from Texas. He was going to be the first person to cross Australia on the Tropic of C on a 100 cc bike, and was doing it at a time to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the bike brand (which i don't recall) - with the current models being very much the same as the original model.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 732436

Reply By: new boy - Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:11

Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 15:11
20 postie bikes have just completed a charity ride from Toodyay to Broome BUT with afull truck backup and a cook they also had 2 spare bikes in the truck which ended up also being ridden from Hedland to Broome as none of the other bikes failed.
Your mate sure is an adventurer good luck to him
AnswerID: 458862

Sponsored Links