Insurance Needs for the BIG TRIP

Submitted: Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 14:35
ThreadID: 87499 Views:2012 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

Less than 12 weeks before we head off on our massive adventure.

We are about to take delivery of our brand new holden colorado dual cab... all very exciting.

Just a quick question about insurance? Who is everyone with for not only vech insurance for off roading but also insurance for the rest you camping gear
fridges etc.

What about Travel Insurance?

Any advice/info much appreciated.


Oztours :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snoopyone - Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 17:16

Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 17:16
Ring around the companies

Depends on whether you still have a house or not.

If so stuff usually can be insured as an extension on your contents policy.

If not can be a problem.

Do you have a van or not as you only provide the scarcest of information.

Dont know if you will get travel insurance Thought it was for overseas travel.
AnswerID: 459660

Reply By: Puma1 - Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 21:58

Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 21:58
G'day Oztours.
I assume if you are taking a big trip that you have a caravan or even a 5th wheeler (as you bought a dual cab) if my assumption is correct, then I suggest you join CMCA -
and follow the links for insurance as you will get a great deal this way, as they insure both the car and the van AND the contents.

I have no affilation with the above, it's just that I have taken delivery of a brand new Nissan Navara STX 550 and also a Brand New 28.5ft 5th wheeler so the combined value is approx $160,000 both are insured in the package and I have a total of $8,000 for personal property included. Total insurance cost for everything (including glass cover) was around the $1,400 mark (I usually pay more than that just for a car).
You must join CMCA to qualify for their insurance but if you call the insurance guys ((03) 9853 5555 ) you can get a quote before you join CMCA (only $60.50 includes monthly mag too) then go from there.
Cheers Nigel
AnswerID: 459696

Reply By: kidsandall - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:14

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:14
You don't say what state you live in. We had insurance with Ansvar. They covered us for full offroad anywhere if we were legally allowed to be there. We also had RACV blue cover. We used them a couple of times amd saved us thousands. We got free towing and free accomadation when our car broke down. I would never travel without it. We worked out it saved us about $10,000 all up including a tow from the tip to Bamaga. Insuring camping gear can be more difficult with most insurers depending on what you are towing.

AnswerID: 459723

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:33

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:33

Brokers like TCIS, Lumley and Affinity 4WD Insurance will cover camping gear in tents and in campervans where there is no true locking device like in caravans.
If you are in a caravan then as Puma1 said use CMCA.

Household insurance will only cover goods away from the house is secured properly, that is lock away in the boot of the car or inside a locked caravan. So a break in needs to happen.

Don't even attempt to claim the loss of a camera from a zipped tent from household insurance.

Travel insurance is an interesting one as it is not normally done for domestic travel, but may be worth a try, you will need to detail your itinerary to be able to establish cover, this is normally too difficult when travelling as a road trip.

Good luck

AnswerID: 459727

Reply By: oztours - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:04

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:04
Hi Everyone,

I should clarify - we will be living in a tent for the first 3 mths.

We won't be obtaining our camper until Jan next year.

We will have our furniture in storage at the mother in laws which is insured under a contents policy.

I was looking more for who covers motor vech's while off road etc.
AnswerID: 459730

Follow Up By: Cole - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 20:13

Just recently did my research of phoning all insurance co. GIO was the best I could find.

I have 200 series LC valued at $100,000 including accessories ,ie bull bar , rear bar etc. Insured with GIO. $980 Full cover any where in Australia on or off road if legally aloud to be there. You must notify Gio of any modification/ accessories, different wheels etc that you add to vehicle. Get them listed on your policy

Saved $100 by listing only 2 drivers, you can also reduce premium by increasing excess.

FollowupID: 733388

Sponsored Links