Across the Nullabor Trip Info please

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 20:47
ThreadID: 8751 Views:1824 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
We are about to make the trip across to WA for migration west from VIC. Heading first week of December and would like to know if fam's have travelled with toddlers, what is good amount of drive time per day to travel, good places to get fuel, stay overnight and approx how long will it take. Some say 4-5 days with average of 6-10 hrs driving per day and only during day light. Any advice would be really appreciated from fellow 'Nullabor' cross trekkers! We have a stretch rangie and camper in Tow!

And thanks to all those who responded to camper trailer floor being fixed up by canvassers. It is being done as we speak and the advice was really useful.
Happy Trekkin
Maresa, Simon and lil' Drew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 21:07

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 21:07
I luv brave people who travel with TOTs.

The main highway Port August - Koolgardie Perth has stops pretty well every 2-300kms.

Many Stops have camps truck stops and or parks. Done it 3 time there and back but not in summer.

Once in a Coaster Bus at average speed 66kph and no TOTs. But we drove nearly 20 hours ad day.

RAA - NRMA - RACV Actual travel time Adelaide - Perth 32 hours.
Roads are good and traffic generally light. Wind can be real bummer.

RTA

Russell

AnswerID: 38443

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:46

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:46
I did the Null three times as well. Once I was using Shanks' Pony and a bloke in a Valiant Ute without a windscreen give me a ride. This was in '68 when it was all dirt road from Norseman to Eucla. Geez it was a wild ride.....some 700km with wind in my face !!!

In December I'd motel it all the way and pay the credit card off later.
Spend some time around the coastal towns.

Wind can be a real bummer as you say.
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 27936

Follow Up By: StephenF - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:00

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:00
The winds shouldn't be too bad at that time of year - you might even get a tailwind. It's usually winter when you're battling the westerlies.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 27985

Reply By: Big Red - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:20

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:20
Whilst you will be so close definitely do Eyre Bird Observatory. Its well worth it. The last 10ks or so is sand tracks, tyres are required to be deflated.
AnswerID: 38515

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:20

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:20
Maresa
a break every 2hrs for about 10 minutes gives all people a chance to run wild .
alot depends on the child & how well they travel our 3 travel well so we dont have to many problems, the secrete is to remember you dont have to be there first, just be there so stop when you need to
Regards bruce
AnswerID: 38534

Sponsored Links