rust in pole box on camper

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 15:34
ThreadID: 87519 Views:1743 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

Poles for the camper have started rusting (oxidation) and must be getting water in it. Has anyone else have/ had this issues. What have other people done to stop this issues? (Any tips on how to remove it? cant sand it out as it is only a small, but deep box.

thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 18:37
I've found over the years with the pole tube on our camper that the water is introduced when the poles are put away wet or with water inside them after heavy rain.
If we pull the poles apart and dry them thoroughly in the sun then we get no more corrosion.
Our pole tube is plastic sewer pipe with O rings both ends so no moisture can get in when the lids are fitted.
AnswerID: 459760

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 05:57

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 05:57
Adam
How old is your camper ?

Personally do not worry too much about it..
Oxidation means they will grip better, when extended and locked.
Our Camper is a 2001 model Trak Shak, and all my poles have oxidation at various stages, and I really do not care. They are often packed up wet.
You may find a light scrub with a scotch brite may help, if you are worried about the looks..

Have you tried using a rubber seal, on your pole holder, or simply put it into a high dry location, on your camper ?
I know that Inox spray will work, but you may loose the ploes ability to lock, at heights, and load, as everything is a bit greasy.
Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 459796

Follow Up By: Member - Hotsocks (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 21:45

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 21:45
camper just over a year old. It has a metal box on the A frame.

Really do not know how the moisture is entering as it has never been packed up wet. Interesting to hear that water may be within the pole it self, something I have never thought of. Has been up when raining, but packed up a few days later.

Planning on repainting the inside of the box with rustkill paint stuff.

thanks for the reply.

Adam
FollowupID: 733489

Sponsored Links