Free Camping Near Pt Augusta

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 20:54
ThreadID: 87526 Views:2318 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am seeking advice on any free camp sites near Pt Augusta.
I am headed out on a trip in early August and am looking to stay near to Pt Augusta for one night.
From Pt Augusta I am then headed up to Woomera and then up the Borefield Rd so if the campsite was up the road a bit it would not matter.

I know about Mambray Creek, Point Lowly, Fitzgerald Bay, Warren Gorge (all places I have camped at) etc etc but am seeking something nearer Pt Augusta.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 22:40

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 22:40
Hi Adrian

Camps 5 lists seven roadside rest areas between Pt Augusta and Pimba but as rest areas probably all near the highway. Diverting to the Quorn road, there is Woolshed Flats about half way between Stirling North and Quorn.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 459786

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 22:43
Also off Horrrocks Pass there is Handcock Lookout - eight kilometres of track to a small spot overlooking the Spencer Gulf and a lovely spot overnight.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 733403

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 07:57

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 07:57
53 H 760907 6411659
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 459800

Reply By: Member - Adrian M (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 08:34

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 08:34
Thanks for the replies.

I had thought of one of the rest areas but as I will probably be travelling alone I wasn't so confident just swagging it on the side of a major highway. In days gone past I had no such qualms but these days its a different story

Woolshed Flat and Handcocks Pass look good but are just a little too far out of the way. Although I may try one of these out on the way back home.

That GR looks the goods, I had not thought of out near Yorkeys Crossing.

I know of a fair few good free spots as I try to keep grid references and a few notes on each spot I find for future reference. I will try out near Yorkeys and let everyone know how it goes.

Regards

Adrian

AnswerID: 459803

Sponsored Links