2009 Subaru Forrester

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 16:36
ThreadID: 87548 Views:1969 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings learned travellers,

A mate is interested in a 2009 Subi Forrester AWD with the low range shifter.
A 2.5 petrol motor and manual. He is planning to tow a small camper with it or maybe a Jayco Swift. The numbers add up as far as tow capacity and ball weight etc according to him. How do these vehicles perform in the real world towing?
He wont be going off road ,only black top touring mainly.
Any constructive input welcomed, thanks in advance.

Paul.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:06
The Forester is one of the most under rated vehicles around, reliabilty & toughness & capability for the class of vehicle are built into the Subaru product. I would have NO hesitation towing a small camper with a Subby. Constant gear changing in the city especially with a manual.....consider an auto.....no low range though but if your not venturing to far off the black top shouldnt be a problem. Low gear in the auto is fairly 'low'.
Only slight negative being a boxer engine, they can drink a little more fuel, BUT that is nothing with all the extras you get ....am I a biased owner.... probably yes
Good, low k's Subarus can be picked up at Govt auctions (Pickles etc)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 459849

Follow Up By: member-PradoMad - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:27

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:27
totally agree with Tony.
Friend of mine has one; excellent vehicle and VERY reliable.
JS.
FollowupID: 733467

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:42

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2011 at 17:42
G'day Paul,
My friend bought a Petrol Forester auto & he tows a small AVAN. He reckons the only down side is the lack of fuel tank capacity on long trips.

Of course I have a "REAL" 4WD (raised hilux) so up until Easter this year I used to give him a hard time about buying a soft roader. Well that all changed at Easter when he arrived at my place in the Mallee towing his van.
I have a difficult sandhill to get over at my place so I insisted (in fact we argued!) that I would tow his van over the sandhill & he would follow in his Suby because there was no way he would get over it in his Suby towing a van. So after we got over the sandhill we reconnected his AVAN & he promptly did a U turn & crossed the dune in both directions towing the van.

BUGGER!!!!!

So I had to eat humble pie. Quite a surprising vehicle for a "soft roader"

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 459857

Sponsored Links