driving campervan from broome to perth really want to see karajini nat park

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:36
ThreadID: 87623 Views:2891 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
driving 2wd campervan from broome to perth and beyond. have heard that karajini nat park is a must. any ideas how we can see this wonderland when i can only drive vehicle on sealed roads? also how far drive off coast highway or best way to go? have heard something about tours from caravan park which one? any help appreciated virgin at this travelling in september
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:07

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:07
Hi Chris - why can you only drive on sealed roads? I love Karijini; it is one of the gems of WA. Unless it is wet weather (very rare) there is no reason why you can't take a 2wd drive there (unless it is a hire vehicle specifying sealed roads only). If it is a hire vehicle, you may be able to upgrade to one that permits you to go off the sealed road for a little way to enjoy Karijini - it does not need 4wd.

The Great Northern Highway is a much more scenic and interesting route than the coastal highway, and Karijini is not far off it to the north of Newman. There are some wonderful places along the coast, and if you have unlimited time, you could zig zag between them. Other than that, the inland route wins it for me every time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 460196

Reply By: Member - Jo T - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:08

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:08
Hi Chris

I did the trip this time last year in a toyota hiace hire camper and it was just fine. The roads are well graded and no problem. There had been a fair bit of rain but all seemed drained away, and yes, its a stunning place to visit.

Have a fantastic trip
Jo
AnswerID: 460197

Reply By: snoopyone - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:02

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:02
For a tour through Karajini go from Port Hedland to Tom Price and book a trip with LEESTOK tours.

Absolutely marvelous We did it in 2009 and can recommend them.

We saw more in the day than we would have on our own

Learnt a lot from the informative guide and saved thrashing our own car over horribly corrugated roads.

Cost $135 each and well worth it Certainly cheaper than blowing 1 tyre in our vehicle was how we looked at it.

Only place they didnt go was Hammersly gorge which we did our selves and the gravel road was like a billiard ball We had no trouble doing over 90kph on it

Roads into Tom Price are all tarseal, you just come back towards Auski Roadhouse and its all Tarseal all the way back to the north south coast highway.
AnswerID: 460210

Reply By: steved58 - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:56

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:56
Dales gorge camping area can be reached on bitumen and the gorge can be accessed on foot so at least you can see some of karinjini if you are in a hire vehicle if you are not in a hire vehicle there is no reason not to drive the unsealed roads weather permitting that time of year should be fine have a great trip
Steve
AnswerID: 460325

Sponsored Links