Icom IC-400Pro Query

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:25
ThreadID: 87628 Views:5334 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks, don't know if you can help.
I'm a grey nomad touring Oz with an IC-400pro UHF radio on board. This is a reasonably complicated beast but I'm generally quite happy with it now that I understand it better Have obtained a cloning cable and done some updates and am reasonably cluey; but have 2 problems....
1. ICOM powers up when 4WD switched to IGN. Occasionally when I power up the unit receives OK but won't transmit. Pushing the PTT switch causes it to transmit a carrier but no voice modulation, like the mike part isn't connected. I can resolve this by unplugging the PTT/Mike from the front panel and plugging in again. May have to do this 2 or 3 times, but suddenly all OK again. Then it works for a few days and the problem recurs. Most annoying as if this fault is on we think we are transmitting but nothing going out. I presume ICOM is looking to see whether a mike plugged in or a clone cable and is getting confused. Waggling the mike lead/plug has no effect, like it's not just a loose connection.
2. Very occasionally when on Ch40 the unit will ring like a phone and display CALL 1 on the screen. Changing channel up and back returns it to normal. Is this something to do with Selcall ? Can't find any ref to it in the Instruction Manual.
Does anyone have experience or advice on either of these two?
Any help on these much appreciated. Thanks, David Hogg

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:00

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:00
I don't know anything about these units, but that sort of fault sounds like a loose or broken wire in the mike lead or socket
AnswerID: 460209

Reply By: P and JM - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:25

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:25
Hi David,

Contact Icom Australia on 03 9549 7500 or send an enquiry them on their web page (Icom Australia) could be the way to go as you will get technical assistance.

Good luck P&J
AnswerID: 460221

Reply By: SteveL - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:26

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:26
Problem Number2 is easy to fix if you have a cloning cable and software.The cause of it is the way the radio is sent from the factory,instead of each radio being given an individual selcall number like most GME's they have a default number usually 12345.
The problem with this any one can send a selcall to 12345 and set off any 400pro
within a 10km radius.
In the programming software you need to read the radio ,then go to "5tone" then click on "RX Code".You will see the numbers 12345 next to "CALL 1",just change these numbers to any other five digit number and re-clone the radio and your problem will be solved.
AnswerID: 460252

Follow Up By: David Hogg - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 21:15

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 21:15
Thanks SteveL. Your advice much appreciated but not quite as easy as you suggest. Under 5Ttone I click on "RX Code CH" and up comes the table. 00000 is indeed CALL 1. 22222 is CALL 2. 33333 is CALL 3 and so on. Problem is that the 00000 is faded out and if I try to edit it, it won't let me, coming up with "Edit is Restricted". I can change 22222 and 33333 and the others OK, but can't change 00000. However if I click on "RX Code Setting" there are 2 fields marked "Compare Digit" which are currently set to 12345. These can't be edited to free-form numbers as each digit has a tick underneath which can be toggled. If I toggle them all off, I end up with no digits to compare. I guess this will do the trick. I'll try it and see and advise further.
FollowupID: 735025

Follow Up By: SteveL - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:29

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:29
David,try this.Go to "5 tone" then "TX Code CH". Scroll down to "CH 28".Change
the "00000" to another 5 digit number.This will change the RX Code CH to the number you have chosen.
FollowupID: 735051

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 05:18

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 05:18
David
Have you taken the Icom off your accesory switch, and run an independant, fused wire in ?

When I wired mine in, I came directly off the auxillary battery, and fused it at both ends, including the earth. Apparently fusing the earth, is not kosher, and on advice from this forum I have redone that bit. I have been told that the Icom 400 needs lots of juice, and am wondering if there is not enuf coming off the Acesories switch.

Cheres
Bucky
AnswerID: 460264

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 07:22

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 07:22
When you get a CALL 1 just give the TX button a jab, that resets the digital readout back to Ch number.
There is a setting if activated can be a nuisance to others if travelling in convoy but also to others in general , you won't know it's transmitting a pulse every 60 seconds but every one else near by hears it.

enlarge this to read it.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 460267

Reply By: David Hogg - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 17:25

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 17:25
Many thanks to everybody for your excellent suggestions.
Notso - I have cleaned the mike and unit RJ connectors with isopropyl alchohol and it seems to have fixed the problem.... we'll wait and see.
P&JM - I reported these problems to ICOM as you suggested. They confirmed bad connection of the mike for problem 1, and explained that problem 2 was Selcall but didn't say how to fix it.
SteveL - Your second follow-up was spot on. Changing Ch28 in TX Code CH then caused the 00000 in RX Code CH to change accordingly. Not exactly intuitive, is it? So I've changed the code to a random string, and expect that this will cure it.
Bucky - Thanks. Had already done this.
All much appreciated. This forum is just excellent for getting the right replies, so thank you all
AnswerID: 461415

Sponsored Links