Stone guards

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 15:47
ThreadID: 87758 Views:4395 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have the new rubber (?) flap type stone guard that fits on the tow bar available from TJM,cost about $500.Want to know ii they stop stones from hitting the van.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 15:57

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 15:57
Hi Priscilla

We use a home made version and it helps, whereas some people claim better success from an underslung netting guard. For pictures to give you an idea of the various types see Various stone deflector options

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 460790

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 17:17

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 17:17
f you are referring to the Stone Stomper, yes I have. You can have it for free from me if you want. It seemed to flick more stones on than without! It caused the rear tyres and axle to heat up way more than without. The heating has been confirmed by this (or similar) forums
AnswerID: 460799

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 17:37

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 17:37
I don't think it is a Stone Stomper, it is a horizontal one, not a mud flap type. Are you referring to Rock Tamers
FollowupID: 734474

Follow Up By: Priscilla G - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 20:45

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 20:45
Yes, It is called Rock Tamers,thank you..thanks to all who have replied.Anxious to hear further comments.
FollowupID: 734493

Reply By: outback epicurean - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 17:56

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 17:56
Hi

We used a set of Rock Tamers on a trip up to Halls Creek, GRR etc last year. Previously we had a home made set and for the new vehicle (Prado) I was about to make some when I saw the RT and figured that by the time I made them, $350 was OK (bought them a couple of years ago) Easy to set up and the angle to deflect stones down is important. I also like that you can take the flaps off when you don't need them (bitumen) so that you don't have all the drag. yes I have read about the heating and this could be a probelm on bitumen but we take them off for long lgs on bitumen. Anyway, they are no worse than home made ones that are closer to the wheels in many cases.

Friends had the under-slung netting type and they work well but are a disaster if its at all muddy as they just load up with mud and drag. Also a bit of a pain to fit and adjust.

In really bad conditions we still put cardboard on the back window as no guard is perfect and you can't see out the back anyway

have fun
AnswerID: 460802

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 20:37

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 20:37
I also have a pair of Stone Stompers and believe the effect of heating the diff or whatever is a myth with this particular device.
The Stompers sit well back on the vehicle and have a gap in the middle to allow air to pass through. They do not interfere with access to the back of the vehicle.
When travelling on dirt tracks I angle the flaps back slightly to enable more effective stone deflection.

Very happy with mine.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 460816

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 17:22

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 17:22
Would severely dispute your thoughts.
I had a flap across the back and it was right at the rear just in front of the towbar.
It also had a gap in the middle and was short enough to not rub on the ground when the van was hooked up.

The rear tyre temps went up to nearly 30deg above the fronts with it installed.
You could also feel the heat radiating up from under the vehicle when we stopped and hadnt noticed it before the guard was installed.

Removed it and tyre temps IMMEDIATELY went back to not much above the fronts. Never ever used it again and tyre temps stayed down.
Have seen several references to overheated diffs on other forums over the past 3 years.
FollowupID: 734574

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 22:44

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 22:44
I think there is a lot of confusion between Stone Stompers and Rock Tamers.

Stone Stompers are like a trapeze and fits between the rear bumper and front of the camper by filling in the space between.

Rock Tamers are like oversized mudflaps and hang on a bar near the rear bumper.

I have tried most types of stone protection and reckon the Stone Stompers are head and shoulders above the rest. It is no myth that full length mud flaps impact on rear tyre and diff temps, however the "split" type like Rock tamers may not do this.

I have used my Stone Stomper on mud and have found it to be fine. There was a marginal lowering of the netting by the mud, but not an issue and easily fixed by removing when stopped each time.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 460831

Sponsored Links