Dometic 3 way Fridge Door opens during travel

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 23:34
ThreadID: 87770 Views:7578 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have just returned from my inaugural trip with my new camper trailer and the Dometic fridge door would open after a couple of hours travel on bitumen roads. We checked the door locking clip before each leg of our trip and it appeared to be fully en-gauged. In the end we used electrical tape to hold the door closed. When we were parked up it holds ok. Could I have a faulty model or is this normal and I have to use velco or something similar to hold the door when travelling? Has anyone had any experience and advice they wish to share with these fridges before I go back to the supplier?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 05:46

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 05:46
Yes this seems to be common. I made a velcro strap to help hold mine closed. See here for recent discussions Fridge door lock I have seen mention of putting a washer under the bottom hinge on a few forums.
AnswerID: 460836

Reply By: white pointer - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 08:28

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 08:28
hi nobby we had the same problem and because of limited space around the fridge in our van,a hook and eye latch was all we could install.
there is a childproof lock for cupboards available from pharmacies which may help.
what are the manufacturers thinking when installing a useless latch on a fridge made for vans etc.? regs.
phil
AnswerID: 460846

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:16

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:16
If it is a new camper you should refer the problem back to the camper manufacture, the onus is on them to make sure that the accessories that they fit are suitable for the expected application.
They, in turn will take it up with Dometic or their supplier.
AnswerID: 460849

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:50

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:50
Nobby,We had the same problem with ours, I drilled a small hole thru the top bracket that holds the clip and into the top frame of the door, while the door is closed tight of course, then used a long shaft pop rivet to drop into the hole,I then used a piece of fine chain and a tiny screw to fix the rivet to the cabinet just above the door,just drop it in before you move off, Looks tidy and does the job.
Regards Keith
AnswerID: 460851

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 19:38

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 19:38
Yes same problem.
You have to take the piece on the top of the door and pack it with a piece of fine cardboard. I.e. weeties packet or something similar. Problem solved.
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 734595

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 20:23

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 20:23
My off-road van manufacturer uses a different brand of fridge but I magine the problem is the same.

The van manufacturer installs as standard two of those elastic loops used on ute tonneau covers. They are placed on the side of the fridge, one toward the top of the door, one toward the bottom, to hold the door closed, primarily while travelling.

After a while the standard latch tends to not latch any more. We have to pack under the bottom hinge to correct the door sagging a little and that fixes the standard latch. But we still need the elastic loops while travelling.

In effect the standard latch is used only while stationary on site.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 460914

Reply By: Member - john y - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 14:00
We had the same problem which was solved by buying a plastic child proof fridge lock from target/k mart for about $10.Stap section sticks onto the top section of the fridge fascia and latch sticks on the door.Problem solved
AnswerID: 460978

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 21:50
G'day Nobby

We bought a new A'van ... same problem as you (and Dometic as well).
We got the service guy from our A'van dealer out twice to have a go at fixing it. The last effort seems ok, but I haven't had the chance to go anywhere since it was 'fixed'.

The 'solution was packing up the bottom hinge with washers, as mentioned earlier. As far as I am concerned, it's a bloody joke, but not funny if you have spilled food (milk in our case) all over the floor when you stop and set up.

A'van have gone to a different brand fridge, only a couple of months after we bought ours.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 461026

Reply By: BrownyGU - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:55

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:55
Nobby,

Same same with our 3 way dometic, My wife just puts a $2 coin in behind the plastic latch....works a treat!

Cheers.....Browny
AnswerID: 461389

Follow Up By: Nobby - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:10

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:10
Browny and everyone above who replied, thanks for the many options. I agree the mess of fridge contents on the floor is something that one can live without. I will give them a go and return to enjoying my new camper.

Thanks
Nobby
FollowupID: 735239

Sponsored Links