Mercury outbaord motors

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 18:25
ThreadID: 8800 Views:1335 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Yep I know this is a 4wd forum, but..... I was wondering if any of you folks have had much experience with the old Mercury boat motor. I had one years ago and swore I would never buy another one, however I am now in the market for a 200hp and was looking around. The new range of Merc's are very reasonably priced and the warranty on the new motors are quite good. Have hear a few comments that times have changed and they are no longer black anchors. I have looked on the internet but am yet to find a site that has camparisons with the other major brands. Any advise would be appreciated, I'm sure some of you will have experienced the same problem I am now facing. Bit like the old which 4wd is best question. I am looking at the EFI 200HP Mercury 2 stroke. Can't justify a four stroke and the price is out of my reach.

Thanks in advance

JohnH
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Browny - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 20:22

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 20:22
G'Day John,

Check out www.fishnet.com.au and ask your question on there forum if you have no luck here, you may have to become a member to access there forums but it's FREE so worth the trouble.

Browny
AnswerID: 38717

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 21:06

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 21:06
John

I recently parted with my Mercury 140hp Carb engine. Had it sitting on
a 2001 17ft Ski boat. I had no problems what so ever with the engine and would buy another one tomorrow. One of my mates runs a 225HP Merc on his Connelly and has had no problems with it either.

I think the Mercury engine has come a long way in recent times. Majority of Ski Race boats that i associate with run Mercury outboards.

I think Mercury have a really good corrosion warranty, maybe the best on the market I think.

Regards Jason
AnswerID: 38721

Follow Up By: JohnH - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 10:36

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 10:36
Tnahks for the advice fella's. Th Optimax is out of our price range. Seems like a nice motor though.

Cheers

JohnH
FollowupID: 82720

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:47

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:47
Hi John,

I may be biased due my employment at Orbital, but have you considered the Mercury Optimax series. This has our Orbital DI fuel system and provides for significant fuel economy advantage, reduced smoke, better idling, less noise, etc. In field reliability has been very good and proven over past few years.

Comes at a pricing premium but cheaper than 4S and much lighter.

Hugh
AnswerID: 38752

Reply By: Wombat - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:55

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:55
My dear old nan used to say to me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

So therefore, "NO COMMENT"."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 38781

Sponsored Links