Googs Track closure?

Submitted: Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 07:47
ThreadID: 8807 Views:2309 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have heard a couple of faint rumblings that Googs *may* be closed.
Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 08:10

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 08:10
Are you starting a rumour or is it just speculation. Where are the rumblings coming from? Give me a more info and I will ring Parks and Wildlife to find out.
Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 38754

Follow Up By: daveread - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:10

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:10
I would have thought If I was starting a rumour, I would have stated as a fact not asked a question ....

I was contacted by an east coast 4wd club that is proposing to travel Googs ... they had "heard" and contacted me as trips officer of a South Oz club.

I do not think there is any basis ... but you never know.
The last time I ran Googs it was in private hands, not in Parks & Wildlife.
FollowupID: 82637

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:11

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:11
Bit of tongue-in-cheek stuff, mate :-)

Googs Track runs through Yumburra and Yellabinna Reserves and is managed by Parks and Wildlife.

You may contact Parks and Wildlife at Ceduna on 08 86253144 or fax 08 86253123 to get more information. Go to the top of this page to the blue buttons and click on Trip Planning and follow your nose to Trek Notes on Googs Track. There is recent feedback amonst other by Outnabout David who has posted below.

I doubt that Googs TRack will be closed unless due to unseasonal weather. Recently there was a TV program promoting the attributes of the area.

Cheers
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 82640

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:50

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:50
It was still open in October and you have to get a permit from National parks at Ceduna. The "rumour"is from the december 4x4 Australia Footloose article on page 137. If you no someone who is going to do it tell them to go South - North for safety and also use a sand flag and drop tyre pressures.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 38764

Follow Up By: daveread - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 18:35

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 18:35
Thanks for that David/Willem
Another blot that is better off in the shed is the camp/trailer.
I own a camper trailer and a double swag. "Swagging it" in the desert is an experience of it's own.
FollowupID: 82692

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:07

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:07
Ron Moon stated a case about Googs Track in the December 4x4 Australia mag. His article relates to the minority pressure group who is getting massive donations from local and overseas companies. The group is called the "Wilderness Society" who have hatched a plan called 'Wild Country". They are copying a US project named "Wildlands Project" who's goal is to set aside approx 50% of North America as "wild land" that would be free from human interference of any kind including aerial over flights". There is big money in the States assisting the US plan and the Oz "Wilderness Society" has similar ideas. According to Ron Moon, the Wilderness Society has selcted the mallee area in the west of SA, "centred on the Yellabrinna Regional Reserve", that inlcudes the Googs Track to be one of the first areas targeted. Ron Moon goes on to say in effect, the SA Govt is considering this plan...yada yada yada.

So again it is possible that minority radical greenies will again judge where we as 4wdrivers will and won't be able to go in the future. The way it is going, we won't be able to go anywhere, with the amount of pressure against us in shopping car parks, bull bars, tracks etc....are we that dangerous and cause that much damage?

I think not

Just Do It!

AnswerID: 38848

Follow Up By: daveread - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 07:32

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 07:32
Thanks for that Glen
The Wilderness url is
http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/outback/yellabinna

Looks like time to start lobbying!
FollowupID: 82841

Sponsored Links