Connecting UHF Radio

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 881 Views:7154 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Would anyone suggest best way of connecting UHF radio to power supply. I have 2 options -
Connect directly to auxilary battery and be able to run it any time ( Fridge is connected to this battery as well) or
Connect to ignition and run it from startup battery same as normal AM/FM Radio.
Where is more effective to have a antenna installed:
bullbar or have it at the back on spare tyre wheel carrier.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AC - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00
The best spot is in the center of your roof but this spot if not practical.I think mounting it on your bullbar is your best bet as the aerial should be clear from any obsticals otherwise it will interfere with the signal (i.e back door)Aswell you wont need to lengthen your cable as you wont need to run it all the way to the back door and out.

Regards
Andrew
AnswerID: 2525

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

I agree with the antenna on the front bullbar with a high gain antenna. Join it to the auxillary battery so you can use it all the time, i quite often have it scanning when we are stopped and we find out who else is travelling in the area
Ray
AnswerID: 2527

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

G'Day, The way I've done mine is the best of both worlds. I have used a 12volt relay from the deep cycle aux battery, using the ignition switch as the trigger. This means that it's powered from the second battery, but switches on/off from the key. As far as the antenna is concerned I used a GME AE409L. This antenna comes with 2 whips, 6 or 9db gain (read, town or hilly surrounds and country or flat ground, the choice is yours) and best of all is that it is ground plane independant. This means it will work almost anywhere (even thrown in the boot sideways, but will be at its best mounted vertical on the bull bar, or spare wheel). I run an old GME Electrophone TX4000 through this antenna on the bull bar, and the range and reception is as good as I've seen (or heard) from anything, anywhere. Hope this helps. Cheers
AnswerID: 2528

Reply By: Colin- Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

Something to be aware of Re areial mounting - on the TV news this week (Canberra region) a story on attachments on bull bars ie, fishing rod holders, CB aerials, winches etc. Defect notices are being issued while your car is parked in a public car park, if these are deemed to be dangerous !! especially rod holders or anything that is 'not smooth' and protrudes forward of the bar. It is probably the same for the rear of the car ie. bike racks. I have to agree with this decision as some old bars look like farm gates !!
AnswerID: 2530

Reply By: Mal - Thursday, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:00
Andrew,
If you want maximum run time on the Fridge, connect the UHF Radio to the main battery, not the auxillary. Also, there is no reason why you cannot connect the UHF Radio directly to the main battery provided you are careful to place a fuse close to the connection on the main battery. A UHF radio on receive is unlikely to flatten the main battery if accidently left on overnight. With regard to antennas, the higher the better, ie on the roof, failing that, as I don't have a bull bar, I have a "z" bracket mount half way down mudguard and a ground plane independant antenna. (one of the GME ones with two configurations 6 / 9 db.) It works as well as friends who have theirs on bull bars.
Rgds,
Mal.
AnswerID: 2539

Sponsored Links