Distances Great Victoria Desert

Submitted: Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 18:08
ThreadID: 8830 Views:1546 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have been looking at my maps for an adventure next year but the Natmap Rasters are a bit confusing with the distance totals.

Looking for the distances:

Cocklebiddy to Rawlinna
Rawlinna to Neale Junction
Neale Junction to Cosmo Newberry

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Slim - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 21:19

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 21:19
Willem,

Cocklebiddy - Rawlinna.................. 115 kms
Rawlinna - Neale Junction.............. 339 kms
Neale Junction - Cosmo Newberry.. 409 kms

NJ to CN may vary a little as there are lots of small and indirect tracks at the CN end and you have a few options.

These distances are from Hema's Great Desert Tracks.

Regards,

Slim.
AnswerID: 38841

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:00

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:00
Thanks Slim,

I have the GDT maps and never thought of looking at them probably because they too have some discrepancies in them. This time its me asking the dumb question :-)

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 82697

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 21:22

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 21:22
Willem, Natmaps show a variety of tracks between Cocklebiddy and Rawlinna, I have no idea which way you want to go but the track I marked out was 150k.

If you create track points along the intended route then click on track control the distance will be shown. Sing out or email me if you need further help...you do run oziexplorer don't you!!??I may be mad but I'm not crazy
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 38842

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:08

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:08
G'day Ray,

Yes I run all the software but have a small mental block getting to learn everything properly. I was thinking of taking the route to the east as marked on the map. Then take the Warburton track and then at Neale Junction head West to Cosmo to find fuel. Then East along the GCR and take the Hunt Oil Track to Everard Junction and on to Carnegie for the next fuel stop. From there to Wiluna and Meekatharra and then the inland road up to Broome. Some of this country I haven't seen yet. Would prefer to have another vehicle with but all me mates with 4bies are so disorganised that I may have to advertise for a fellow traveller. We will see what transpires. Have to drag the trailer behind to carry enough fuel as the old G60 is a thirsty beast.

Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 82698

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 08:08

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 08:08
Willie,

We covered that area on a club trip this year. Included Plumridge Lakes and Lake Rason - took the track out from Laverton. I have track files if you require them, and westprint make a nice map of Plumridge Lakes. Some places like Rawlinna are a maze of tracks and Oziexplorer was magnificent in getting us through without any grief. Signposts are pretty rare.

Hema mark the Cocklebiddy-Rawlinna road as being a private road which is incorrect. We confirmed this with station owners.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 38861

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 17:29

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 17:29
Phil,

Thanks for your offer and for the updated information on the maps and tracks. I will keep it in mind as I am still in the early planning stages of this trip. Want to access the tracks from the south and make my way from Cocklebiddy to the next fuel stop which I am now contemplating as Tjukayirla on the GCR so as to get maximum benefit for the trip up the Hunt Oil Road to Carnegie Stn which will be my next fuel top up. I can carry 230lts petrol in the truck and 160lts in the trailer giving me a range of around 1365 @ 3.5lt/km or 28.6lt/100km worse case scenario. I tend to plod along quietly sparing the truck and normally average out the fuel consumption at 20lt/100km depending on how much high or low range work is necessary. The G60 has a 5 speed box but with the trailer on I am restricted to 4th gear in top.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 82740

Sponsored Links