spotlights

Good evening all, I have just finished some repairs on the Bull bar on the Troopy (spotlight brackets tore off on the ABH) so its all beefed up now with a few mods, anyhow, when the bar the spotlights fit onto in front of the grill was welded back on to the bar a small error in measurements has occurred????? Now my Hella Rallye 4000 lights won't fit, I'm looking at Derek Bester's HID spot/spread combos or Lightforce 170 Strikers 100watt for replacements. Dereks Sidewinder lights will fit with 5mm to spare if his measurements are accurate, the Lightforce ones would have room to spare. Any opinions from anyone who has tried them out appreciated. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 06:33

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 06:33
Kanga,

I have Derek's HID's on the front of my Troopy and I am quite happy with them.

They are well made and quite lightweight. Funny thing is only yesterday I pulled the spread beam one off because there was something on the inside of the glass,it wasn't moisture and didn't look like dust, cleaned it off and reassembled the light ok.

Focusing them was a little hard as they have notches in the mount that make a positive locked in position for the light body, I got round that by installing 2 small stainless shims under the rear side of the base plates.

The measurements for the lights are dead accurate. As for performance I am happy with them, they are much better than my old sealed beam 100w spots. I like some of the adds in 4wd mags where the after shots with the new lights have been photoshopped to the max.

Maybe the only thing I would change is to use 2 spread beams and get rid of the spot.

Have a good on,
RA.

AnswerID: 462007

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 11:27

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 11:27
Thanks RA, I am leaning towards the Sidewinder ones they appear to be very good value, (provided they don't fall apart on corrugations), interesting that you would go for 2 spreads! do they have pretty good distance? Thanks again. Kanga,
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 735748

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 12:52

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 12:52
Kanga,
my personal reason for the two floods is that I have had most problems with animals coming from the side and I also tend to back off a bit at night now. The spread has enough distance for me and as I said I like to see way off to the sides.

I find cattle and pigs tend to blend in with the road. we have a lot of Brangus cattle up here and you are fairly close before you see them. The spot is good on a long straight road.

If you are shopping around have a talk to Derek, he has them fitted to his Prado and will just give you advise without placing any pressure on you to buy.

As I have said be careful of big claims about spotlights and photos that light up the road like daylight.

I haven't had problems with corrugations and my old girl gives them a fair work out being leaf sprung all round.

There are better lights out there but you have to have a healthy bank roll to purchase them.

Hope you light up your live,
RA.
FollowupID: 735755

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 14:56

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 14:56
Cheers RA, it is good to see incoming from the sides with enough time to avoid a strike, I thought it might be the case for you with 2 spreads, thanks for your help. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 735763

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 09:38

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 09:38
Shop around for LED,s. Use vey lttle power, last 4 times longer and double the brightness.
E-BAY

Cheers
AnswerID: 462017

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 11:31

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 11:31
Thanks Bigfish,

To get anything decent in LED's they are very expensive and they seem to be more flood than good distance light.

Cheers
Kanga
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 735749

Reply By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 18:17

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 18:17
Hi all,
Does anyone have a photo of an anti-vibration setup to stop the lights from breaking their bases?
Most have plastic bodies and they just cop a hammering. I used to tie mine back to the grille with an adjustable turnbuckle but the new vehicles these days have the grille lifting up with the bonnet.

Cheers

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 462058

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 00:08

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 00:08
Only option is to buy quality lights mate. Steel bodied lights at a minimum.

The Hella 4000s are the go. Put plenty of lock tite on all the bolts and align them how you want them and your good to go.

The Hella 4000 compacts are absolutely awesome. As good if not better then the full size.

Way better value then the Lightforce 170s.

Those lights Derek sells are coming out if China at a great rate of knots. They are available from about 50 different sellers online, and the price varies dramatically.

I personally know they cost a maximum of $200 pair to buy from China, so why pay for the inflated mark ups. Purchase direct from China and save your pennies.

I have dealt with driving lights for many years, and sell HID kits and lights on Ebay. But i personally wont touch the Chinese made lights. The HId kits are great, but the optics and build quality isnt up there with the likes of Hella and Cibie etc.

FollowupID: 735794

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:48

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:48
Hi Muntoo, you wouldn't believe how mad I was with myself when I found out the Full size Rallye 4000's wouldn't fit, (after putting half a box of welding rods and new steel into the Bull Bar to strengthen it) the Hellas have been terrific and will take some beating IMHO. Anyhow, I have to put something on the bar, we are Marshalling at this years Australasian Safari again, which will involve night driving on Stations and in the bush. Thanks for your input. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 735812

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 07:43

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 07:43
Hi Kanga

Feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding size and quality.

Our lights feature in the latest 4wd Action mag, build quality is excellent and we have 100% customer satisfaction with our lamps. We do not source from any of the cheaper factories and if any products that we source if not of build quality it will be destroyed and not offered for sale. We put a lot of time and money into our products and this particular lamp has been a good seller for 4 years now, we carry spare parts and offer full warranty. Please do not compare them with any lamps referred by Mr muntoo.

Photo from 4wd Action Center fold.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 462082

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:40

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:40
Thanks Derek, I'll be in touch. Regards Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 735811

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:52

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:52
Hi Derek I'll MM you from this site. Kanga
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 735814

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 12:00

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 12:00
No problem.

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 735817

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 22:52

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 22:52
I came across this which is quite interesting..... (original text: http://www.triathlonoz.com/Forum/Topic/82556/HID_kits_and_prices.aspx)

Hmmmm......

HID kits and prices
Submitted: Thursday, Nov 18, 2010 at 04:29

Muntoo

Hi all, i have been looking for a decent priced HID for a while, and have come across this one. 55w HID kit I want to convert a set of Hella 4000 driving lights to HID as i need the extra light and enjoy the type of light HID puts out.

I contemplated a HID headlight upgrade for a long time, but i was a little worried about the legalities and all. Even though everyone is doing it, i would prefer not to cause an accident or get a defect. However it seems that this mob have kits that are only HID when on high beam and halogen on low beam.

Does anyone know much about this, will it work on normal H4 headlights or would it only be for twin headlight type systems like the 80 series? It surely seems the way to go, but just wonder how it works if its just for normal H4 lights.

Also what is a good price to pay for a HID kit, preferably would like a slimline 55w kit and digital type too, as everything i have read while researching points to them being the best. I have tried a couple of 35w kits from China in my worklights and stuff, they only cost me $25 or something and they are still fine, and the amount more light is awesome. They seemed very cheap and nasty at first but must say they have performed well for over a year now. I am guessing they are built nowhere near as well as the ones listed above also?

I am guessing that there must be a few blokes who have done there lights on here, so thought there should be some good info. I dont wanna spend hundreds of dollars on a kit, as i dont think that they would cost much to make myself. A 35w Philips kit costs about $500 here, yet they are under $100Aus in Europe and USA. A mate has a Philips kit he paid $500 for and there was no difference in output or current draw to my cheap ones.

I might put in an order i think on the above.
Cheers for any info

AND

AnswerID: 436367 Submitted: Friday, Nov 19, 2010 at 15:45

Muntoo replied:

I bit the bullet and decided to order some from the ebay link i mentioned. Pretty good specs i thought, he seemed to know his stuff also. Will see how they go. I tried the 4300k kits but prefer the 5000k, 4300k was still little too yellow for me.
Reply 5 of 5

My opinion...

Suport businesses that are recognised, are registred members of this and other sites. Offer warranty, customer service and member discounts.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 462150

Sponsored Links