Sunshine Coast to Lake Eyre - August 2011

Submitted: Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:49
ThreadID: 88347 Views:2770 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
We are planning a trip across from the Queensland coast to Lake Eyre and having not done such remote travel in the past I'm looking for a heads up on some things to look out for, both mechanical, camping and scenic related.

We are heading via Cunnamulla, Thargominda, Eulo then on to Innamincka. next down the Strezlecky Track to Lyndhurst then up to Maree and the lake. Return via Birdsville track.

We are travelling in a 79Series Landcruiser 1HD-FTE with air-water intercooler and 3" exhaust and Steinbauer chip, new Fulcrum suspension with RAW4X4 shocks and steering damper. Service just prior to the trip and also new Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ tyres including the spare. I'm carrying the obvious spares, fuel and air filters, belts and hoses and a tyre repair kit. So I'm trusting that mechanically all will be well.

We have also a copy of the Hema maps and are GPS capable. (Thanks ExplorOz )

My problem lies with fuel, water and how much of each and route accessibility. I note that the longest part between fuel stops is about 500km. I carry 180litres in the 2 standard tanks which is good for about 1200km on the highway. Do I need more. Also a 125litre under tray water tank with another 2 x 25litre water containers inside the canopy.

Finally I know about calling the local police centres for track info (Hema have a handy list of all the relevant police stations on their maps. Nice ) But I'm wondering if anyone has been along those tracks in the last month and what are the conditions like. Particularly the route across the Cooper Creek which was flooded earlier this year.

Many thanks to all for the imminent explosion of information.

Regards,
Larry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 12:52

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 12:52
G'Day Larry,
We did Marree to Birdsville, Windorah, Longreach and across to the coast in a bog stock standard Diesel Holden Captiva with a $79 Mio GPS, $20 puncture repair kit, standard highway rubber, space saver tyre and a 20 litre jerry (which we didn't end up using).

The Captiva only has a 65 litre tank, but I found the fuel economy to be slightly better than on the highway, due probably to the decreased speed (sat on about 80-90 in most places).

I'd envy a rig like yours and to be honest without generating complacency, I think it'd be a walk in the park for you. Enjoy the scenery!

Fab.
AnswerID: 462101

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 13:04

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 13:04
We have just returned to Brisbane after completing the same trip to Lake Eyre with a Landcruiser 100 Series and an Off Road capable caravan. There were no problems with water or fuel. If you don't like drinking bore water (usually quite OK we found ) there are plenty of sources of nonpotable water you can use to extend the water in your tanks for washing, cooking etc. Also bottled water is for sale everywhere if you don't mind the rip off price. Our only issue was the fact that the punt had resumed on the Birdsville track and was limited to vehicles of 9.3 metres (at skipper's discretion) so we returned via the Flinders andBroken Hill, then found roads through Tibooburra closed because of rain! So watch the weather - otherwise you will have a great trip. Wright Air gave us a very good value flight over the lake from Marree - not to be missed. Farina, south of Marree, is a great camp spot. Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 462104

Reply By: Member - DeepThought65 - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 13:33

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 13:33
Thanks guys but I just remembered one other question I forgot to ask is, how much cash do we need to carry as opposed to EFTPOS or Mastercard ?

Regards
Larry.
AnswerID: 462107

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 16:38

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 16:38
We had no problems with cards (visa, mastercard, eftpos) on the trip for fuel shops etc. The only issue is that sometimes the communication system fails eg when we were in Thargomindah the lines/systems were down for 24 hours! We carried about $400 cash for such events. This was ample.
FollowupID: 735836

Reply By: Member - Mike R2 - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 16:54

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 16:54
Gooday Larry, Wife and I hope to head off about the 20 August, from Northern New South Wales accross to Camerons Corner then down the Strezlecky then follow your route. Hope to do the flight out of Maree with Wright Air. We will be travelling in a 79 series Landcruiser with camper on tray. Have travelled this area previously, except the Birdsville Track, and have never had trouble with fuel or water, you sound well prepared so should be OK. Might see you on the track.

Regards

Mike R.
AnswerID: 462118

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 22:35

Monday, Aug 08, 2011 at 22:35
have a look at this trip report http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=98425 i did on another forum Larry, the first half of our trip pretty much goes where you are planning on going, it should give you an idea of things to see along the way.
cheers
Mal
AnswerID: 462148

Reply By: Member - DeepThought65 - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 08:54

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 08:54
Thanks fellas, all useful information to us. Now I've just got to get my backside into gear and get the ute and canopy finished. It will be nice to get a full nights sleep again.

Larry.
AnswerID: 462312

Sponsored Links