Doomadgee Roadhouse ..... Weekend closures ... (Sundays)

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:01
ThreadID: 88380 Views:2151 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, it is with regret we will be closed on Sundays and only half a day on Sat due to lack of staff, we have tried to get additional staff and employ local people but we arnt getting them, we have limited on site accomodation and due to "typical" community politics we have not been able to install additional accomodation, we have room for "self-contained" accomodation but can not seem to be able to attract people here so we are kinda screwed, yes it sux as it is going really well and improving dramatically but i guess everything has it limits ..
Will advise of any changes happen..
Cheers
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:30

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:30
Hi Joe and Mel, that is a Bl##dy shame, it makes business hard when there is no interest from the local people, and you can't accomodate "out of towners". You run a good operation there and looking on the bright side, there is plenty of time to set up for 7 day trade next season, you may get some interest from retired mature people travelling through for stints working for you? Good luck with it guys. Best regards, Mr and Mrs Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 462241

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:44

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:44
Hi guys, hope your trip is still going well, it is a shame in some ways but it is i guess part n parcel of doing this kind of work, when we got here only 20 odd months ago there was nothin in stock other than fuel and was only open 5 days and sometimes 6 if you were lucky, we have put in some REALLY hard yards and it should be remembered we also have kids and actually "live" here so we have to manage our "personal" time as well as the business and make certain we dont burn out ............. anyway it has a silver lining as we have returned some very good financials for the people that own it and they have agreed to build some more on site accomidation, it will all take time but will be good for all in the long run and we are looking at a caravan park as well so all is good..
Cheers guy and thanks
J&M&Kids
FollowupID: 736094

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 15:56

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 15:56
Joe - Sad to hear - Hope all goes well in the future - With that many people around you you think you could find a few reliable persons. Sad reflection on the way it is all going.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 462259

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:54

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:54
Thanks Tony, i guess we should make it clear we are "managers" and dont own it, our job was to "fix it up" as it had a few (lots haha) problems when we got here but all is good now, it is kinda sad but all part of the job for us, we are getting there eh, step by step eh ..
Cheers and thanks
FollowupID: 736098

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 16:51

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 16:51
Rumour has it Joe that you realised you needed a few more hours in the confessional box of a Sunday!!!!!
Enjoy the rest.
cheers
AnswerID: 462263

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:03

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:03
i need a pub, could be a good "confessional box" for me right now... hahaha nah all is good, i just really dont want any travellers to get caught out with us closed, i have been caught out with a servo closed and it really sux big time ..
Cheers
May just go to Isa for the weekend
FollowupID: 736100

Reply By: ao767brad - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:16

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:16
Sad to hear things haven't changed in 20 years, we lived in Borroloola for 2 years, 20 years back and this was the biggest bug bear. The pub even had to fly in family of the managers during uni holidays and the like to get staff. We were always short staffed and as you say most communities could not give a hoot. Makes you realise why so many community run stores end up bankrupt or subsidised by the land council to keep them afloat.
Makes you feel like a second class citizen, we lived in an ATCO shed unairconditioned whilst locals got new homes built for them, only to rip the floor boards out for fire wood.
Best of luck, we know all too well that it can turn around when you least expect it.
AnswerID: 462291

Sponsored Links