Fuel economy.

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 19:54
ThreadID: 8842 Views:1816 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day troops & troopets,

Something strange is happening to "Old Bluey". For some unknown reason His fuel economy has improved dramatically. Comming home from fishing today I noticed that the trip meter read 347k's and that the fuel guage showed the tank to be well above half full. I've had this car for five years and normally would be lucky to get 300k's at half a tank. Ive done nothing under the bonnet lately, haven't switched to a new brand of diesel, driving habits are still the same.....nothing has changed. Apart from divine intervention from the great Landcruiser god in the sky, I can't explain it. Anyone out there got any ideas? At this rate "Old Bluey is easily going to reach the 700k mark and maybe then some. But why?"Slow and steady wins the race."

Regards,

J - Man.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KG - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 21:04

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 21:04
call me a pessimist but maybe your fuel gauge sh|t itself?

cheers,

KG
AnswerID: 38906

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 21:11

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 21:11
Hey J-man,
You havent added any Nissan parts anywhere have you.... :-)I love it when you take DIRTY !
AnswerID: 38908

Reply By: Hedonist - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 22:41

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 22:41
quote: "call me a pessimist but maybe your fuel gauge sh|t itself? "

Or your speedo?
AnswerID: 38913

Reply By: Member- Rox - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 23:28

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 23:28
Sounds like a diesel to me

Iv'e just got 1175 kms out of 130 lts (10 lts left)I don't save My daylight
AnswerID: 38921

Reply By: joshinthecity - Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 23:36

Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 23:36
Running lean?

Josh * 1100klm /tank 3.0 GU IV
AnswerID: 38922

Reply By: TOJOKing - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 07:48

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 07:48
That's quite unusual, maybe somehow the injectors have cleaned themselves and a lot of sooty gunk has been burnt from the chambers? Dunno, but it seems like you're getting much more efficient combustion. Did you change air filters? Perhaps you added a performance air filter?

347kms isn't bad at all, so whatcha complainin bout? hehehe.

I get an average of 1600 kms out of my 75 Series HZJ75RV from 180L of diesel. Not complainin at all!

Regards,
Chris.
AnswerID: 38934

Reply By: Member The J - Man (Cairns) - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:49

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:49
Thanx to everyone that replied,

For now, I'm gunna sit back and see how this all pans out. As I said, nothing has been done to the car...........wait, just thought of something. About three weeks ago I changed the front wheel bearings. This would have been about a week before I filled the fuel tank. Surely new wheel bearings couldn't make this much difference, or could they?"Slow and steady wins the race."

Regards,

J - Man.
AnswerID: 38949

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:08

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:08
J-Man you can not get accurate fuel consumption figures from the gauge, only a rough (very rough) idea!!!! You need to fill the tank to the very top, do your drive and fill back up to the same level, then divide your figures out (km driven/ litre's = km/l). Once you have done this and have an accurate measues of fuel economy, and can start making asumptions.

Brian
FollowupID: 82790

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 22:29

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 22:29
j-man
warn or poorly adjusted wheel bearing can have a very dramatic affect on fuel consumption, a lot of people overtighten wheel bearing plus over pack them with grease( yes some have oil filled rather than greased). can be up to a few miles per gallon if over tightened or badly warn. have seen lots of stuffed bearings that have simply cooked themselves by being to tight and jammed packed full of grease.

For the less mechanically trained in laymans terms, the grease is actually just oil with a thick base added to it to stop it pouring away. when a bearing is "packed" with grease it must have some air space for the bearings to "roll" in otherwise the bearing is dragged through the grease rather than running over it's film of oil the base is holding generating heat.as for adjusting wheel bearings it helps to get someone with experience to demonstrate the correct feel for a well adjusted wheel bearing, it varies a little from vehical to vehical, but generaly there should be virtually no movement when the wheel is fitted and shaken up and down but still spins reasonably freely when rotated by hand. OH and dont's forget that dragging brakes can send fuel consuption through the roof also.

check your actual consumption and let us all know how it goes, if it's more than 1-2 miles per gallon better then heavens knows whats going on.

Happy motoring
jack
FollowupID: 82831

Reply By: Member The J - Man (Cairns) - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:08

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:08
Thanx again to all that replied. Back to work in the morning for another week, we'll see how the rest of the tank goes."Slow and steady wins the race."

Regards,

J - Man.
AnswerID: 39011

Follow Up By: Steve o - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 15:52

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 15:52
Mmmm, interesting. Perhaps check the functioning of your EDIC motor (electric diesel injection control...looks like a wiper motor with a link to the inline injector pump). This device is controlled by the position of the ignition switch and provides a little excess fuel for starting, and also allows stops the engine from running when you turn the key off. If there is a problem with the EDIC it may prevent the fuel rack from travelling it's full amount (i.e. if the EDIC is jammed near the shut-off position, or not adjusted properly). Low power would result from this problem and perhaps running-on after turning the engine off.

A blocked fuel filter can also decrease fuel consumption and provide low power, as can leaking check valves in the fuel priming (lift) pump. You can sus the check valves on a 2H by swaping them over (both the same) and diving for another tank of fuel.

Stuffed speedo/odo very likely to cause your indicated decrease fuel consumption.

Super tight wheel brg's a little less likely.

Steve
FollowupID: 200726

Sponsored Links