Hilux?

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 29, 2003 at 22:56
ThreadID: 8851 Views:2476 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Can I get some feedback please, looking to get a new 4x4 dual cab trayback ute for work & in about 18 months we will be taking it around Aus towing a camper trailer. I have been told that the Hilux would fit the bill (3ltd), what do you think? should I take a closer look at the Rodeo or Navara?

Thanks, Rowler
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 00:41

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 00:41
Rowler,

I got myself a Hilux 3.0 td earlier this year and one of the vehicles I also looked at was the Navara td.

The Navara lost out to me because of its lack of leg room in the back and poor trim fitting and "look" of the interior. Admittedly it was a lot cheaper though, and the engine is a beauty - the torque is the same as the Hilux and the power is better.

but after getting my Hilux I reckon I made the right choice. The engine is really gutsy and I am averaging fuel economy figures of about 11.5 lt per 100 km over about 30 fill-ups.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with either vehicle, but the Hilux does it for me,

Happy trails........
Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 38930

Follow Up By: Rowler - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 13:30

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 13:30
Thanks Jim,

Have you done any mods to your hilux?
I must admit that I test drove one yesterday & found it pretty good, just a bit of turbo lag down low but once up & running pretty quiet.

Thanks Rowler
FollowupID: 82802

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 13:47

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 13:47
Hi Rowler,

I've only done pretty limited mods so far. A TJM canopy, steel ROH rims and BFG tyres, a rear bar incorporating reece hitch from Opposite Lock, and some home made storage areas in the back and also in place of the rear seat in the dualcab.

I have also added my phone kit ,UHF and permanently mounted my GPS with external antennae and 12 volt power.

I like playing around but have run out of sheckles for the moment, so the next major acquisition will be in the new year.

In the mean time I keep myself occupied by doing "petty" stuff like when I recently wired up a switch on my centre console so I could turn the fridge (in the rear) offf and on after determining the need to do so from my thermometer on the dash.

Whatever you buy (go the Hilux!) I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get it home and start playing!!!!!!Cheers, Jim

AnswerID: 38958

Follow Up By: Rowler - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 14:11

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 14:11
Thanks Jim,

Sad to see that we are both home on a sunday afternoon looking at our screens instead of out there!!!
Well got to do the homework sometime!
I will be changing to steel wheels also & need to make a decision by early Jan as to what size, we are getting a camper trailer made at the moment & need to supply him with the rims in mid Jan.
What size tyres & rims did you use, have you had any problems?

Thanks Rowler (dave)
FollowupID: 82803

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 15:33

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 15:33
Dave,

Yeah it's a pain being home, but I'm just packing the beast to head off later on this week for a quick outing.

I have steel Sunraysia rims in 15 x 7jj which is the original size on the SR5. I'm thinking of looking at either 16 x 7" steel Prado (prior to the latest model) rims or getting splits in 16" as comes with standard Hilux's for serious (read CSR etc) stuff away from home.

The tyres I have on are 30 x 9.5 x 15 BFG A/T KO's and so far i am happy with them - the other tyre I was looking at and will try next time is the same size Cooper Discoverer ST.

These rims are pretty good looking and durable and at $40 are well priced

[ View Image]Cheers, Jim

AnswerID: 38963

Reply By: Goodsy - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:18

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:18
G'day Rowler
Have a TD hilux, still the pick of the TD engines in my book.

Here's some pics of my lux.

[ View Image]
[ View Image]

Ask me anything you want.:)
AnswerID: 39009

Follow Up By: floyd - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 13:30

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 13:30
I have the current model duel cab SR5 non Turbo 3 litre and have had vibration problems since fitting a Safari Snorkel. To date the vibration or resonance has caused all light fittings on the passenger side to rattle loose. Even the little side indicator lense has loosened right up. My headlight mounts have cracked and the front indicator assembly has also fallen apart. I have pulled the whole snorkel apart and re tightened all of the mounts and insulated the mounting point on the A-pillar with rubber and it all works for a while and then the vibrations start again. Silicone rubber helps a bit but it does not last for ever. The noise is the worst between 1500 and 2500 rpms on every gear. It is really bleep ting me. I bought it through ARB in the eastern suburbs and Safari have not been able to assist me with fixing it. Have you had anything similar happen with yours? Floyd
FollowupID: 82858

Follow Up By: enzo- Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:03

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:03
Hi
I have the 3.0L (1KZ-T) engine in my 94 4Runner (but the TD version) and I had a Safari snorkel fitted about 2 years ago and I have never, and I repeat never, had the problems you are experiencing. I would take it straight back to ARB and they either fix it (free) or remove it, return your vehicle back to its original state and give you your money back. Sounds harsh but I am tired of companies taking my money and then admiting no responsibility for their craftsmenship, or rather, lack of it.

enzo
bundubasher
FollowupID: 82898

Sponsored Links