Trip to the Cape next year

I am thinking about 4 weeks Cairns to Cairns June / July 2012. I was wondering if there is a web site for people doing trips like this, that would like to travel together for all or part of the trip. This would be more for break down / safety and company reasons.
I do not want to be on a tag-along group, just 1 or 2 other vehicles. We have travelled around Oz for 6 months a couple of years ago and have enough experience in the outback.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: deserter - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 13:39

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 13:39
You can organise trips on this site. Also look at capeyorkforums.com.au.
AnswerID: 462786

Follow Up By: deserter - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 13:41

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 13:41
Sorry - no au on that address.
FollowupID: 736596

Follow Up By: wato35 - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 15:08

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 15:08
Hi Deserter

Is there a special section on this site or is it just through the forum?

Thansk

Wato35
FollowupID: 736602

Reply By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:39

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:39
Wato

There are so many people travelling that route, you will never be alone and there are many opportunities to meet people going the same direction as you. We caught up with the same people several times in a two week period.

For 2 of the reasons you stated you really do not have to worry a) breakdown and b) security
as for c) company - that could be your only reason - but plenty of opportunities once youre there!
CJ
AnswerID: 462811

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 20:53

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 20:53
Wato, you could consider beoming a member of EO and supporting the site. You then get access to features like the members trip/gathering organiser etc.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 462831

Follow Up By: wato35 - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 21:12

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 21:12
Hi Mick

I have thought about becoming a member, but for the time I spend on this site I cannot see the value. I not saying its not worth it, but I have looked around & I do not see what the difference between the two. Maybe there should be a short term viewing of what the members see, to show me and other potential members what they are missing.

Regards

Wato35
FollowupID: 736612

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 23:39

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 23:39
Hi Wato,
This is an excerpt from the About Us page...

"Why Pay to become a Member?
Although site registration is free, additional features are locked-out to free users. Getting the most from the site requires Membership (small annual fee).

The reason for Membership, is two-fold:

* ExplorOz is self-funded
* To provide a quality online experience

We work very hard to minimise our administration expenses and don't exhibit at shows, or use fancy marketing. In fact, the site does not gain any "profits" because all earnings are put back into the site operations (staff and operating expenses). Our view to having advertising on the site is that it should remain relevant to the site users, so we would prefer to only take ads related to the core theme of ExplorOz, which is tourism and on a more specific level, 4WD/Caravan/Camping and outdoor recreation.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to secure sufficient ad-sales from the relevant market sectors to fulfil our ad-serving potential so we have been forced to accept ads from outside our niche market. This approach is not to our ultimate satisfaction, so we have attempted to create ways to buffer the reliance on ad-sales to keep the site viable. And this is where Membership fits in...

Membership enables all the best features - such as Blogs, GPS data downloads (from Treks and Places), EOTrackMe, and the integrated enhancements of being a Member are visible to others as you use the site. Members have their own webpage on ExplorOz (your Member Profile), a Member Footer is shown in all your Forum posts, you have a Member Screen Name, and you have use of Member Messages (an IM/PM style communication tool).

Members also get 5% discount in our Shop, free overnight courier delivery*, and eligibility to redeem any of the advertised Members Rewards (offered by our Business Members). Membership can be both renewed or activated for free if you make a qualifying purchase in our shop.

We see Membership as the life-blood of ExplorOz and put all our energies into developing new site features and services but we have kept it an optional subscription. Whether you see value in the specific benefits offered in our Member service, or because you know how important Membership is to keeping ExplorOz viable, we hope this information has encouraged you to join.
"
Does that help clarify?
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 736619

Sponsored Links