Starcke Homestead, FNQ

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 16:35
ThreadID: 88532 Views:5699 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was refuelling in Cooktown and started up a conversation for a short moment with the bloke on the other side of the bowser. Turned out his name was Des Bowen and he is the Tradional Owner of Starcke Homestead, en route to Cape Melville, FNQ. He said that we should come and visit the place and I said that I would, as soon as we returned from our Cape York odyssey. And so, about six weeks later we rocked up at Starcke.
Desi was away at the time, but his wife Estelle directed us to a shelter atop the hill overlooking the distant sand dunes of Cape Flattery to the east and Mt Webb National Park to the west. So we drove to our destination about a kilometre east of the homestead and found a wind shelter and a water tank and this was to be our abode for the next week. The camp is right next to a rainforest pocket and there is plenty of firewood at ones disposal.
As with all things in life there is a cost to it and when the Bowens came over in the late afternoon I asked how much they were asking. Desi’s words were, “We normally charge $100……………..but then you can stay for as long as you like!” It sounded like a good deal. We figured that it was a fair price for a week’s stay and after the cluster camping experience of Elim Beach, this was a welcome relief to have the whole place to ourselves. Stay two weeks and the daily rate drops to half and so on :-) There are two shelters at the present time and they are about 100 metres apart. This part of the Bowen’s enterprise is still in its developmental stage and is not well advertised but word of mouth gets around and it is popular at times. It is great for a base to safely leave your camp and explore, hunt or fish the coast or rivers in the vicinity. However, you need to be self-contained with your own toilet, shower and power.
The Cook Shire has been upgrading roads in the area and the road from Battlecamp Road to Starcke River Mouth turnoff is in its final completion. It is a good hard base road but there are still some sharp dips which could bring you unstuck if you take your eye off the ball. At the river mouth there is now a brand new concrete boat ramp and there is still a sandy track to the surf beach, if you can call it that. It is very popular with local fishermen on weekends.
Beyond the Starcke River Mouth turnoff, the road deteriorates to a very bumpy track and by all accounts gets worse the further north you venture. We drove as far as Starcke River Crossing this time, with the promise of going further north next year when we visit these tropical regions again.

Cheers

Spero

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 17:22

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 17:22
Gday Spiro
Sounds like a good time is being had by all.....Sounds like a nice place to be .. any good fishing spots?

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 462878

Sponsored Links