Getting off Teewah Beach

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 17:50
ThreadID: 88584 Views:3248 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking of dragging the van to one of the camp sites on Teewah Beach (QLD) in about a week's time.

Can anyone provide recent info please?

Particularly advice on whether I can expect problems getting back off the beach. I've heard it's fairly soft leading back up to the bitumen. I'm dragging a 3500kg van behind a 200 series Cruiser.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 19:17

Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 19:17
Gone Bush.
Mate I have a patrol, you can give me a call to tow you out if you have any problems, haha. You shouldn't have any problems just the normal considerations to tyre pressure and momentum while getting off the beach, it's not a steep cutting. Hope you enjoy your visit and get some Taylor while you are there. Cheers Mick
AnswerID: 463088

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 19:28

Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 19:28
Gone Bush,
I just had a look at the Cooloola conditions report and they say Freshwater camping ground will be closed from the 17-28 August and they are planning controlled burns. Might be worth checking out the web site http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01713aa.pdf . Good luck, Mick
FollowupID: 736921

Reply By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 19:42

Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 19:42
Image Could Not Be Found G'day gb, I have recently moved from that area of my back yard, but there will always someone nearby willing to help, particularly on the weekends! It is not the Simpson desert- just 30metres of soft sand, the closer to the outgoing tide the better, a couple of snatch straps may help, slow & steady is best.
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 463092

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 20:02

Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 20:02
Hi.
Was there three weeks ago.
I don't think you would have to much bother..
The exit / entry was softish but short .As we were stopped pumping up tyres most vehicles just continued on to the beach with no tyre deflation.

You say coming off the beach, so I assume you are going to use the Freshwater track from Rainbow. If so this track has a very hard surface with the worst bit being on the bend to freshwater camping area. This also will cause you no problems. We are talking 50 meters of loose sand and you are going down hill.
Infact I did not adjust my tyre pressure from Rainbow Beach untill about 2km before Freshwater, and that was not because I had to, but still waiting for the soft sand of old , which never appeared. N.P have filled all the bad areas with gravel [bugger]

The entry to the beach from Freshwater was also pretty good.
With no school holidays or long weekends between our trip and yours I feel this information will still be accurate. The lower the tide at the exit the greater run up you will have if needed.

If you get your permit at Freshwater they are based on a calender day , so if you get a one day permit $15.and camp overnight on Teewah beach this will require another permit Ah overnight is more than one calender day so you will need a weeks permit and that will be $25 thank you, Plus $5 per person. Yes I know , don't get me started Plenty of bush camping outside of Rainbow , even Inskip, and leave am.

Hope this helps and enjoy our bit of paradise

Cheers Teza

AnswerID: 463095

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 08:14

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 08:14
G/Day GB

I usually go via the Tewantin Ferry to Northshore.

Follow the the bitumen road towards the (First Cutting Access onto the beach).

Turn left as you approach the 1st cutting, follow the bitumen road down past the Wilderness Camp Ground.

The (Second Cutting Access onto the beach) is closed.

Follow the road down to the THIRD CUTTING BEACH ACCESS.

From there you can drive on to the beach.

It's a lot easier since they have made improvements re: approaching the beach.

You know all the dropping tyre pressure info.

Just make sure the tides are in your favour.

I would call in to the the Nat Park Rangers Office at Tewantin on the same road to the ferry re: Camping Permit and updated beach info.

It's a little difficult driving off the Hard Packed Sand onto your camp site, but if you approach it in 2nd Gear Low Range you will be ok.

I use the 2nd gear option so if the going gets hard I can drop it down to 1st.

Your other option is to camp at the Council Wilderness Camp.

Cheers

AnswerID: 463128

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:49

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:49
PS. GB

Another alternative if there is a problem towing on the beach.

Northshore Resort Caravan and Camping ground is open on weekends only, Friday to Monday.

It dosen't get very busy only on long weekends & holiday time ect.

They have Coin Operated Showers ect & powered sites also there is security if you leave your van while up the beach fishing ect.

Always plenty of space, and doesn't cost much.

It's about a 500mtrs from the pub, handy for a Counter Lunch.

And the C/P is on the same road to Teewah Beach access, about 2ks.
FollowupID: 736964

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:13

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:13
Thanks everyone,

All good information. I think I'll go down and talk to the Ranger at the ferry while the van is unhitched and get the latest.

cheers everyone, thanks.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 463133

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:14

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:14
It has all changed there now I was there 2 weekends ago. No more first/second cuttings that section is closed for vehicle traffic. The cutting itself is pretty short but was very soft when we went through keep the revs up and you will fly through.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 463229

Reply By: chisel - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:17

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:17
That's a big van. The exit at the 3rd cutting is not entirely straightforward at the moment so I would expect some difficulty getting off the beach there. A bloke who lives at Teewah recently posted on ausfish that many (not towing!) were having trouble getting off the beach there recently.
I suspect if you get enough momentum you'll probably be ok but do your own reconnaissance first.
I guess there'll always be people around to help out.

AnswerID: 463260

Sponsored Links