Autofridge Eutectic

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:17
ThreadID: 88597 Views:3939 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anyone any comments on the Autofridge. Are they efficient in very hot conditions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:23

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:23
As many here often say ..... "you get what you pay for"!
In this case it is correct, they are expensive & very good.
A friend of mine has had one for many years & has done thousands of Outback kilometres on many trips & it has never let him down, even in the most extreme temperatures.
AnswerID: 463134

Reply By: Member - jlAU (SA) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:48

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:48
Yes have a 75l in our KK. Very efficient. run for approx 3-4 hrs.../day in summer off all other times. Yes expensive but are the most efficient you can get.
AnswerID: 463137

Follow Up By: oz doc - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:08

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:08
Hi GT, my folks have one and find it exceptionally good for their needs. They spend a lot of time camped out in the bush in remote and hot locations.I think they use it mostly as a freezer and take whatever they need out, to thaw in the caravan 3way fridge, each couple of days.They rely heavily on solar power so for them it is ideal because of its low power draw. They have never mentioned an issue with it keeping cold in hot weather. I think you need to keep in mind it works differently to compressor fridges and as such is not best suited to some situations. For instance it would not suit my family as we are constantly opening and closing the fridge, putting warm things in to cool down quickly and operating the fridge at various states of full/empty. doc.
FollowupID: 736960

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:34

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:34
It is a compressor fridge, opening & closing should be no different to normal fridges.
FollowupID: 736968

Follow Up By: oz doc - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 15:43

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 15:43
Hi Shaker- yes I know they are compressor fridges. I didn't word things very well did I. I should have said 'different to non-eutectic compressor fridges'. It is my belief that the eutectic fridges take longer to get cool initially and take longer to respond to warm items being placed in them, and longer to compensate for cooling loss due to the lid being opened frequently. Perhaps I am wrong in this regard. doc.
FollowupID: 736999

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:21

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:21
Hi

I too run Autofridges. They have been very reliable and efficient even in the hottest of areas. We would normally turn them off at night even in areas such as Cape York.

They are however not a fridge you would put in your car for a day's picnic.
Due to eutectic fluid in the sides needing to freeze it would commonly take 24 hours to cool this type of fridge right down.

They are also 12 volt only and require a transformer to run off 240 power.
If you are looking at the 40 litre model the lid comes in two configurations., that being opening lengthwise or widthwise.

Service from the manufacturer in Sydney is first rate.

Hope this helps

Cheers Teza

AnswerID: 463142

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:29

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:29
X 2 for all the comments above.

I had a 40l for 15 years and never missed a beat.

Now have a 73l brand new and expect the same performance out of it.

The manufacturer is absoloutely brilliant and is very helpful and always up for a chat.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 463151

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:44

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:44
Thanks to all who have replied.

Might be time to sell my 3 Engels ( 27,40 x 2) and buy a Autofridge!!
AnswerID: 463153

Reply By: carts - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 23:14

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 23:14
I have the 73 ltr unit 8 yrs I guess, its a good bit of gear. be sure to get the transformer, it makes using it easier and gives options. I use it as a frig and freezer at the same time. I cut a piece of 8mm ply to loosely fit in above the frozen food. The ply has 6 x 50mm holes cut into it and I put the refrigerated food above the ply. This works best when the ply is only 100 - 120 mm down from the top, as the quantity of food reduces and the ply drops lower down the food on top tends to become icey. I started out experimenting with bubble wrap and this worked but it froze to the food and the insides walls. Happy Days Carts.
AnswerID: 463301

Reply By: arjay - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:55

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:55
Hi GeeTee,

We've had the 73 litre model for about 5 years now and are very happy with it.
We have run ours on a single battery setup, mind you our trips are generally the touring type where we are regularly travelling and topping up the battery.

As someone has already mentioned you should also obtain a transformer (or other supply) to allow operation from 240 volts.

I have modified ours by adding a 240v to 12v switching supply (about 8 amp) into the area where the compressor is housed. I also upgraded/replaced the 'fan-panel' by inlcuding a timer and a voltage/current display.

The voltage/current display was added so that I had another place to check the battery level (& I had a spare digital display to use).

A timer really should be fitted as standard from the factory as it allows the fridge to be used as intended, i.e. run for several periods over the day to refreeze the eutectic fluid.

The timer (plus associated switch) that I fitted allows me to either run from the thermost alone or to program several time periods during the day to run the fridge (subject to thermostat setting).

For storage inside the fridge we found 4 containers (from Bunnings) that stack nicely into the fridge and then sat 2 baskets on top for loose items etc.

Please see www.flickr.com/photos/66754123@N06/ for a picture of my modified panel.

Rob
AnswerID: 463419

Sponsored Links