Outback Etiquette??

Submitted: Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:26
ThreadID: 88616 Views:4241 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Or should I call this post "Rantings of a Grumpy Old Man"..

Since the mid 90's we've tried to get away on an 'Outback Odyssey' during winter- this year being no exception. Just back from 7700km in 8 weeks covering a lot of the favourites. From Sydney via Longreach & Winton- Plenty Highway. The Alice incl. the Macdonnell Ranges- Finke via Chambers Pillar & Lambert Centre, Mt. Dare, Dalhousie, Oodnadatta Tk to Maree, Birdsville Tk, Into the Simpson, Innaminka via Haddon Cnr, Old Strezleki to Tiboburra, White Cliffs to home.

However, this year there was something different?? Sure the roads were rougher, but that was due to weather damage a few months prior- and the road crews were working overtime to get things better.

But other issues peeved me- in no particular order...

Camp Fires: The number of people breaking camp and leaving fires burning or smouldering!! On two occasions we saw people actually load up the fires just before departing with all the wood they had collected!! Surely you could use the morning washing up & ablution water to extinguish the fire.

Plaques: Whats the go with removing brass plaques from historical and informative locations?? Do they sell the scrap to buy another slab of beer, or just do it 'for fun'?? Are these the same people who boast they have a Len Beadell plate hanging behind ther bar at home.

Take your Time: I was chatting to some guys at Birdsville and they had just done the Birdsville Track in a day (we camped 3 nites on it)..and were heading out the following morning to cross the Simpson in 2 days!! Why????? Also, road speed on other tracks seems to be increasing- or I'm just getting slower.

Dune flags: We headed out West into the desert and camped a couple of nites near Eyre Ck- just to get the Desert Experience. Heading back to Birdsville I noticed a couple of west-bounders a couple of dunes away so pulled over to let them come thru. When I asked them why no dune flag?? The response was " Oh we could see you easy with your flag- so we don't need one!!!".....I had no come-back on that one.

Tyre Pressures: Yup- the old 'hobby-horse'. Seems lots still are unaware of adjusting tyre pressures for different situations, for different reasons.
On the little detour out to Big Red- a very well setup and equipped vehicle was having all sorts of problems getting over the little dunes. I was behind him, and suggested he may let a bit of air out of the tyres !!! His response was that he couldn't..."because he didn't have any means of re-inflating them".And he was with his Mrs & kid to do a Simpson crossing too !!!

UHF usage: Heading down the Oodnadatta Track, a convoy passed us amd I noticed the last vehicle had a 4kg gas bottle bouncing around on the roofrack. I tried calling them on on the 'road channel' (40) with no response. I did a scan and found them on 12- chatting about my vehicle. I advised them of the situation- but by the time they stopped the gas bottle had fallen off, and a plastic fuel jerry was about to follow!!

Etiquette: OK- 2 parts to this one.
Out of Birdsville- on the Development Rd we had picked up a stone in the L/F brakes. So pulled off to drop the wheel, to remove the offender. This took about 30 mins (including a cuppa). About a dozen vehicles drove by and NOT ONE stopped to see if we were OK. Some single vehicles, a other convoys- including one of a highly recognised company!! Whats happening out there!!
BTW- the KCI tool did a great job of loosening the 27mm wheel nuts, highly recommended.
William Ck campground (opp. the pub). There were about 8 vehicle encamped, so still plenty of space around. You know the place- they've planted trees around to brighten it up a bit. Thoses trees are struggling in the conditions, but are surviving. So a guy with a camper-trailer decides one of the trres is in his way where he wanted to setup- so he pulled a 6 foot tree out by the roots and threw it asi- so HE could setup where HE wanted too. Bearing in mind there was more than ample area around. The white Vic. registered Patrol, proudly displaying ExplorOz sticker on R/H raer window!!

And then there's Camper-Trailer...aaaaargh- don't start me on that topic !!

OK..That's just some of my rantings. Have a great day. See ya 'out there'.

D&J

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:51

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:51
You are not a grumpy old man...

"Camp Fires: The number of people breaking camp and leaving fires burning or smouldering!! On two occasions we saw people actually load up the fires just before departing with all the wood they had collected!! Surely you could use the morning washing up & ablution water to extinguish the fire. "

This is a pet hate of mine. There have been a number of large bushfires started in Victoria caused by fools leaving burning campfires. I have put out many in my travels. The worse was a burning log about 1x3 meters in size (Yes meters) on a total fire ban day in Wombat S/F. On that case I had to make a 000 call to get the CFA in to extiniguish it.

"Plaques: Whats the go with removing brass plaques from historical and informative locations?? Do they sell the scrap to buy another slab of beer, or just do it 'for fun'?? Are these the same people who boast they have a Len Beadell plate hanging behind ther bar at home. "
They are thieving scum. Should apply shira law to them :)

"Take your Time: I was chatting to some guys at Birdsville and they had just done the Birdsville Track in a day (we camped 3 nites on it)..and were heading out the following morning to cross the Simpson in 2 days!! Why????? Also, road speed on other tracks seems to be increasing- or I'm just getting slower. "

Not so easy. I can understand where you are coming from, but I have been guilty of quickly through areas where I would like to spend more time. The unfortunate reasons is that I am very limited as to how much time I have for travels so I sometime travel quck to try and fit in as much as possible. I think being time poor is something that more and more people are suffering from.

"Dune flags: We headed out West into the desert and camped a couple of nites near Eyre Ck- just to get the Desert Experience. Heading back to Birdsville I noticed a couple of west-bounders a couple of dunes away so pulled over to let them come thru. When I asked them why no dune flag?? The response was " Oh we could see you easy with your flag- so we don't need one!!!".....I had no come-back on that one. "
Just lack of driver education I think. Need better driver training. IMHO you should have to get a special license to drive a 4x4 in a lot of areas, and only if you can show that you have the training or experience to do it safely

"Tyre Pressures: Yup- the old 'hobby-horse'. Seems lots still are unaware of adjusting tyre pressures for different situations, for different reasons.
On the little detour out to Big Red- a very well setup and equipped vehicle was having all sorts of problems getting over the little dunes. I was behind him, and suggested he may let a bit of air out of the tyres !!! His response was that he couldn't..."because he didn't have any means of re-inflating them".And he was with his Mrs & kid to do a Simpson crossing too !!! "
Same problem as Dune's. Reminds me of when I rescued a stuck range rover on Fraser years ago. He had 48PSI in the tyres and wondered why he was stuck :)

"UHF usage: Heading down the Oodnadatta Track, a convoy passed us amd I noticed the last vehicle had a 4kg gas bottle bouncing around on the roofrack. I tried calling them on on the 'road channel' (40) with no response. I did a scan and found them on 12- chatting about my vehicle. I advised them of the situation- but by the time they stopped the gas bottle had fallen off, and a plastic fuel jerry was about to follow!! "
Again, lack of education. However, when you are travelling i a convery and using a different channel for chat it is difficult to also monitor 40. I know some who have 2 radios so they can do this.

"Ripping tree out at William CreeK" See Shira law comment to deal with idiots like that .... See heaps of similar valdalism at campsites all over the place caused by brainless idiots...

AnswerID: 463240

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:21

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:21
Come on........who was the White Nissan driver?
AnswerID: 463242

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:41

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:41
We'd know who it was if it was a Red Nissan Driver who's gone awol,Sounds like the same shenanigans too....lmao
FollowupID: 737101

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:23

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:23
Hi D&J,
Re no one stopping, a few years back we were on the Tallawanna Track east of Newman on our way to Rudall River when we came upon a couple of vehicles stopped, so we pulled up to see if they were ok. Turns out they were an Aboringinal couple on their way to Jigalong and had a stuffed tyre on a Falcon, which was towing a Hilux (!). No spare. They miraculously had found a spare wheel and tyre on a wrecked Falcon in the bush (amazing!), but it needed pumping up. No probs, pumped it up, and added a bit of air to the rest of the tyres, checked they were ok for drinking water, etc. Chatting to them it turns out they had been there for 2 days, and no one had stopped, not even their own. So they were happy, and on their way, the Falcon towing the Hilux.
So we continued on and made it to the track up to the Rudall River, and camped at brilliant shady campsite where there is a bore and water pump amongst the red dunes. A couple of other 'cruisers pulled in soon after us and lit a campfire. We wandered over and had a chat. Turns out they had also passed the Aboriginal couple, but didn't stop.
Next morning we asked them to leave the campfire burning when they were leaving and we would boil the billy. So when they left, they drove their vehicle right thru the fire, flattening our billy! Couldn't believe it! It was amazing they didn't ruin a tyre.
About a week later, we were camped at Carrawine Gorge, and came across them again. They must have felt guilty about stuffing our only billy, and left $10 with a note on our table while we were out.
Anyway, I was less than iimpressed that, given the remoteness of the area, that they paid little attention to other people's plight, or to the welfare of their own vehicles.
Gerry

AnswerID: 463243

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:52

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:52
Camp fires :
Only use for cooking and keeping warm and yes it annoys me when people don't put out their fires, remove burnt rubbish and steel all the fire wood around the area.

Plaques :
Some take them for trophy reasons.

Take your Time:
Not every one has unlimited time on their hands, we push hard on most trips to get to a place to spend a few days at and what you might class as the start of your trip may not be the start for others.... if doing the Plenty Lakes area in the Northern Simpson we push hard from Adelaide to Coober Pedy - Coober Pedy to Mt Dare - Mt Dare to the Colson Track junction and then it's slow going for nearly 2 weeks exploring... then push hard from the Plenty Lakes to Jervois Station - Jerrvois Station to Alice Springs - Alice Springs to Coober Pedy - Cooper Pedy to Adelaide.

Regarding speed depends on Vehicle and vehicle type, how it's set up and driver capabilities.

Dune flags :
No excuse for not having a flag and is dead right dangerous.

Tyre pressures :
Not every one understand the basic concept and it's frustrating as they wreck tracks and dunes.

UHF usage :
Nearly all 4wd use channel 10 when travelling as we do in a group but if by our selves we use scan channel 5, 10, 11, 18, 29, 30, 39 and 40.... Simpson is a classic no good using channel 40 as no one will hear you.

Etiquette: OK- 2 :
We always check if they are OK and it gives us some time to stretch our legs.. one the other hand nobody stopping is why we have become self sufficient when travelling.

Regarding people wrecking the environment whether it's by destroying vegetation, killing fauna, leaving or dumping rubbish or driving in non designated vehicle areas... what can I say and some wonder why places are getting closed or with limited access. "The white Vic. registered Patrol, proudly displaying ExplorOz sticker on R/H raer window!!" come on own up!

Regarding camper trailers... we are not all like that and it goes for caravaners and 4wders.... some good some bad.

AnswerID: 463245

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 19:35

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 19:35
Hi Olcoolone,

Not sure about about your dune flag comment. How is it dangerous if you drive to the conditions?

Safer? Probably. Dangerous? Not really. Mandatory? No!!

Does having a dune flag give you the right to charge up sand dunes as if it was some kind of license?

I respect your decision to have a flag if you will respect my right not to have one.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 737072

Follow Up By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:18

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:18
Hi equinox, your not a victorian with a white Nissan Patrol by any chance?
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 737090

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:24

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:24
No but I'll keep a look out for him - shouldn't be to hard to spot :))

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 737093

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 07:29

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 07:29
Hi equinox,
Just an opinion on the sand flag.... on our SD crossing last year, our travelling mates were in front, we had announced on Ch 10 our intent to cross a dune, and halfway up the dune, we spotted a 4wd coming the opposite way in exactly the same wheel tracks as our mates were. We were probably 100 metres or so back. The other 4by didn't have a flag and admitted to not knowing what our mates flag was..... they also didn't hear our announcement, 'cos they were on another channel.
A head on collision was avoided because I was yelling STOP into my mic, and our mates did stop, the other guy kept coming over the top of the dune, unaware of what was happening. He was surprised at seeing us there.

That's why I believe that sand flags are a must. I wouldn't travel out there without mine.

I do however respect your right to not have one.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 737202

Reply By: muffin man - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 15:38

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 15:38
Water is such valuable and rare resource in the desert you would certainly not be wasting water to extinguish a camp fire, when water is readily available that's a different story.
MM
AnswerID: 463250

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 15:40

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 15:40
"Surely you could use the morning washing up & ablution water to extinguish the fire. "
FollowupID: 737058

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:22

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:22
I would have thought that you put your desert fire out shovelling sand over the top of it.
FollowupID: 737062

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:03

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:03
Gday,
Depending on the size of your fire, You may not have enough water to extinguish your fire and using your drinking water wouldnt be real cleaver.
Also covering your fire with sand can cause problems too..........Ive heard of kids running up and jumping on them because they dont look hot. Something a bit of education would fix but still.....not all kids are bush (common sense) educated.
FollowupID: 737066

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 16:15

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 16:15
All that as well as those leaving rubbish would make me grumpy too; more than grumpy for downright vandalism and theft such as LB plaques.

Fortunately we have found very little of the above, although i did step into hot coals on a well buried beach camp fire site once - fortunately i was able to pull back in time when my foot felt rather hot. They'd covered it well so no doubt thought they'd done the right thing. I had two 20 litre buckets near full i was using for the washing - the buried coals steamed and spluttered through the full 30 or so litres.

I have found the more remote, the more chance of people stopping, and in places such as the Kimberley, everyone stops to ask if you needs help. One lady said she called out to the seventh vehicle pulling in "I just want to P".

When we have stopped to help others, almost every tourist passing has also stopped. Not so when you get onto main highways or near towns, but you can usually make a phone call if needed for breakdown assistance. We still stop and offer assistance regardless.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 463254

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 16:15

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 16:15
Ok lets see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
In a brief statement lets look at all the things travellers are bad at.......

Campfire maintaining

Excess noise at campsites, especially if they come in last and it is peaceful before they turn their music up till 1am.

Same as the above but with a stinkin generator.

Driving through campsites at 50kmh and kicking up dust.

Passing you on a dirt road road when there is clearly 44 cars in front of you, (Gibb River Road is a classic).

Just to name a few.
AnswerID: 463255

Reply By: SIF4X4 - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:50

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:50
Yeah well.....I don't really care about what 'other' people do wrong out in the bush...they are just ignorant peasants with limited appreciation for things around therm and they won't change.......it could even be a generational thing......

This year I have collected 6 new chips on the windscreen courtesy of ignorant uncaring people driving at breakneck speeds on crappy gravel roads

You have to live with it and make sure that YOU do the right thing :-)

I like to tidy up campsites when we find them in a mess, or put that fire out unless we are going to use it..
AnswerID: 463262

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:14

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:14
Hahahahaha.......that voice sounds very familiar??????
FollowupID: 737071

Reply By: Ozrover - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:00

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:00
D&J,

I feel your pain! those that you've listed are just a few of the things that quite a lot of travellers out there do.

You can add the firewood on the roof rack brigade that don't rope the load down & strew bit of sharp timber all over the road.

The ones that tear branches of trees for a bit of firewood.

The I need a toilet break lot that leave used toilet paper behind after them.

The ones that see you pull over & slow down to let them pass, who think that this is an invitation to move to the centre of the road & speed up. (& then complain loadly on the UHF to their mates about how inconsiderate YOU are.)

The ones who have a flat tyre & leave the ruined tyre case behind.

The ones that complain loadly to anyone who will listen about how bad YOUR roads are? (look at a map the broken lines indicate an unsealed road).

GRRR!

AnswerID: 463264

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:11

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:11
Couldnt you have have just sumed that up and said Victorians ? LOL
FollowupID: 737070

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 20:43

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 20:43
Now be nice! We've got one working for us!

FollowupID: 737084

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:21

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:21
and a very nice one at that! Keep looking after her please.
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 737092

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:59

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:59
Not all only the white Patrol driver
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 737096

Reply By: have a go - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:15

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:15
Ah every year. All we can do is do the right thing to right the wrongs of some others doing the wrong things.
But still one cant help but get peeved off.
AnswerID: 463298

Reply By: Meggs - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 09:06

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 09:06
I was talking to a friend of mine last week asking him has he seen any accidents in his trips around Australia. He told me he came across on in WA that had just crashed and he stopped and two road trains just went by. The third one stopped and said he would make sure everyone else stopped and parked his road train across the road until they could attend to the injured.
AnswerID: 463409

Sponsored Links