max traxs tip

Submitted: Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 18:33
ThreadID: 88622 Views:2238 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
used the Max traxs on Saturday in the mud, I had used them on sand before & was impressed how well they worked, again they worked well in the mud but became so heavy when the back filled with mud so washed them out & sprayed them with cooking oil spray & no stick, was dissappointed that one had cracked about 350mm up the length.
without them we would have had to winch several vehicles several times instead of only once
regards Vince
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Krakka - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 19:44

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 19:44
Good tip Vince, haven't used mine in mud yet but the time will come
AnswerID: 463271

Follow Up By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:20

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:20
Ditto good tip have to remember the spray and the max traxs since I got bogged a while ago I carry them every trip and have not needed them again go figure.

Cheers Michael
FollowupID: 737091

Reply By: 98TAJ - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 20:35

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 20:35
Vince,
Another thing to be aware of is that if you mount them on the rear tyre be careful that the little tabs on the bottom don't rub through the side wall, Stuffed a brand new Mickey "T" ATZ on my last cape trip from this.
Tazza
AnswerID: 463279

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:23

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:23
Hi Vince

I really haven't found anywhere that mine have been a benefit , probably because mostly the ground underneath has been hard , or when in sand it has been on a hill requiring a runup.

It sounds like yours where a real help - probably on flatter ground ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 463292

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:39

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:39
Hiya Mr Miller

Are you just stopping short of saying that they are basically useless or hav i misread your thread...

Cheers mate
FollowupID: 737094

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:56

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:56
Hi Swaggie

No No - I just haven't found the right Terrain , I suspect they would work well on say a soft claypan.

I just carried a set across the Madigan line where I thought they might get a try out , but the top of the dunes was rough and sloped and the ability to quickly generate momentum saved the day.

I got into trouble after the trip because many food supplies were trimmed to make room for the un-used Trax.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 737095

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:01

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:01
Hi Robin,
I have only used my Trax once in three years. Of all places half way up a dune.
On my way up I met a Quadbike who thought he was in a race. I had to stop sudden to avoid contact. On doing so crossed up my path leaving me in a very precarious position with the driver’s side of my car digging in to the low side of the hill. It was not possible to get a car above me to winch me out. The solution was to place the trax under the low side of the car and “spin” them under the wheels. Thus stopping the car from dragging itself over. I then dug out the high side and managed to get enough of a run off the trax (with the locked diffs) to get myself on the go again. Without doubt I believe the car would have rolled down the hill if the tracks were not on hand.

Regards
Craig
FollowupID: 737097

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:48

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:48
Hiya Robin

Reece bought a set a while ago but i dont think he has had a chance to use them...

"I got into trouble after the trip because many food supplies were trimmed to make room for the un-used Trax. "

LMAO

Cheers
FollowupID: 737102

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 00:06

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 00:06
"Are you just stopping short of saying that they are basically useless"
No he's saying he just completed one of the hardest desert crossings in Australia including negotiating the flooded Eyre creek & didn't need them. Go figure. ;-)
Cheers Craig...............
FollowupID: 737113

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 04:50

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 04:50
"Are you just stopping short of saying that they are basically useless"

Yeah let's go the whole hog - they are almost completely useless. Everywhere I have ever seen MaxTrax used, lowering tyre pressures and/or selecting a better line of approach would have been more effective, not to mention cheaper and lighter. For example, in the ads on the free DVDs with a well-known magazine, the F-truck using them in sand would not have needed them if the tyres were let down sufficiently.

Just my opinion, of course.

John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 737116

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:19

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:19
As a sand novice, it seems to me that Maxtrax are a useful device for the less experiences but an experienced driver will get through most situations without them through judicious use of tyre pressure. Varying tyre pressure is a technique that Robin seems to be able to use very effectively.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 737135

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:05

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:05
To those of you who responded with extra tips & there experience's thank you & to the knockers

if they don't work why has the concept been around since the wheel & was used heavily in all wars & also as portable air fields in the pacific

I've travelled all over oz & in 1977 did a west to east crossing, CSR in 79 when it was a challenge & you had to arrange fuel depots etc & did not have a set of max trax but I which I did, My vehicle has a winch, spare parts, spare tyres, puncture repair, First Aid kit etc. Do I want to use them No but their there if I have too

To Robin they were used on all different degrees from quit steep sections to flat ground & often helped to get just over the last couple of meters for the 1st vehicle so it could snatch up the next

To Johno most vehicle had muddies (mickys, bfg, centrepeeds, etc) on & at 10PSI & diff locks (this was not a tourist drive) mud, rocks, hill climb & bog holes & yes we could have finished the track but would have been a lot longer in time & a lot of winching & the big ? is have you used a set yourself?

regards Vince
FollowupID: 737138

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:51

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:51
OK so they work sometimes - I did say they were ALMOST completely useless. The argument about age of concept is irrelevant ("if they don't work why has the concept been around since the wheel"). Cigarettes for example have been around for hundreds of years, and they are cr@p.

Have I used a set of MaxTrax? No, never needed to, and I've been well off the 'tourist drives' in my 4WD. Never used a winch either. If someone gave me a set of MaxTrax I'd probably keep them (just like I kept the winch I was given) but I wouldn't spend $$ on them.

Anyway, like the age old Toyota/Nissan debate, in the end who cares, as long as we actually get out and have fun seeing this great country

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 737146

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 14:05

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 14:05
John,
"in the end who cares".Well I do, you say you have never used them, never needed to, obviously you haven't been stuck enough to need them. Ask Pesty how well they work on seaweed beds. Snatch strap was useless, reducing tyre pressures was useless, pushing was useless. Maxtrax saved the day on that occasion, and on many other occasions for other people.
Shouldn't knock something you haven't tried.
Cheers
FollowupID: 737153

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 00:27

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 00:27
Why did it crack Vince?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 463306

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 09:24

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 09:24
Have no idea why one cracked (not happy) They were used in white sticky clay & were bedded down the full length so were fully supported but all the same they worked hard all day & have a lot of tyre rubber left on them
FollowupID: 737130

Sponsored Links