I think I'm turning.

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 21:59
ThreadID: 8868 Views:1845 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have driven a Hilux for the past fifteen years,over the last six months I have been looking for an 80 series cruiser (94-95).Anything that sounds good on paper loses a lot of it's appeal when I look it over.The inevitable has hapened,I have started looking at Patrols,they seem as robust and are up to 5k cheaper,one in particular has caught my eye,the only thing that worries me is this,when traveling at highway speeds it has a tendancy to wander,the vehicle has a 2 inch lift kit and tyres that have a higher profile and are wider than standard.Is this wandering normal? All the cruisers except one I have looked at have constant four wheel drive and they have tracked well,the one standard one had a 4 inch lift kit and it was worse than the patrol.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 22:27

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 22:27
It could be tires, wheel alignment, etc... 2inch lift shouldnt affect the car much, if tis a car yard, ask them to give it a balance and alignment... then try agian..
AnswerID: 38992

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:56

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:56
P.C.
We went through the price comparo between GQ and 80 series twelve months ago. The GQ won simply on a "what-I-got-for-my-money" basis and yes, the toyo's are either 5-7K dearer or 5-7 years older!

Our 95 Patrol had the "factory-fitted-anti-fatigue" shake when we bought it, also had a tendency to wander as well. It had the 2" lift kit and we fitted 33" X 12.5" muds to it. When the muds went on, our tyre guy did a wheel alignment and checked everything out underneath, set it up and gave it a clean bill of health. Didn't break the bank either.... just a service fee from memory.. maybe $60?? Anyway, the result was that we have since had the tyres rotated and the wheel alignment checked and no adjustment was necessary, even after numerous trips to the local forests, (Easy rated) a trip to Crystalvale (Medium-hard) a trip to Fraser Island and several to Ormeau (Hard rated)
We still have no wheel shudder, and it tracks well on the highway. The Patrol is "heavier" to drive, but is also a very heavy duty truck!

Find a tyre/front end guy who you can trust, and he will be able to sort out the problems for you.

Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 39018

Reply By: P.C. - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 22:41

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 22:41
Thanks for the input guys,I had it checked over today by my mate(local truck repairer),he could only find one wheel bearing needed slight adjustment everything else was sweet.There's a bloke near by that has a good name for seting up 4X4's I'll check him out.Thanks again.
AnswerID: 39111

Sponsored Links