Spare casing v spare tyre

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 22:39
ThreadID: 8869 Views:2105 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've read various pros and cons of spare tyres etc. A spare casing is often suggested. How difficult are these to fit to a wheel when by the side of the road in 40 degree heat?

Would prefer to take a spare tyre, but only storage option is on drawbar of dingo camper trailer, on top of the single spare for the trailer. I'm guessing 2 tyres on the drawbar is too much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chapo - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 23:52

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 23:52
Rob, It would have to be the worst job known,however carrying a spare case only does save a heap of weight and with a bead breaker tyre changing tool makes it pretty simple (with a bit of practice, and plenty of soapy water). Hopefully you only get one flat so you can initially use the spare then change the tyre later on at your camp when it cools down.
AnswerID: 39003

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:00

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:00
I am with Chapo.......
I carry a casing and the proper spare also..... So if a flat occurs you would just use the spare and do the swap later at camp whilst dropping a few lagers......
It isnt hard to do, it is just a very manual labour sorta thing... and awkward sometimes (most times)...._____________________________________________
Cant think of anything to put here just yet !

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:34

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:34
We have the same dillema. Spare tyre or spare wheel. We will be going the spare tyre way but really have nowhere to even store a spare tyre.

What are the pro's and con's of strapping it to the spare wheel on the rear door or on the bonnet, or on the front roo bar on a Troopy? How have people attached the tyre in these places?

Looking forward to some comments from people who have been there done that.
AnswerID: 39016

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:22

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:22
I've seem them in all sorts of places, doubled up on the rear, hung on the bull bar but the best place is on a couple of roof bars up top. If its only a spare case there is not much weight involved.
FollowupID: 82849

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:41

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:41
Sorry, forgot to say we have a pop-top Troopy so the roof is a no go area for a roof rack, spare, etc.
AnswerID: 39027

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:43

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:43
Thats why you have the trailer wheels the same as the vehicle wheels.

My Patrol and camper have the same wheels, so I have 2 spares that will fit either. I'll also chuck a spare tyre onto the roofrack "in case".
AnswerID: 39028

Reply By: Michael - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:08

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:08
Hi Rob, I carry 2 complete spares and a tyre only, if you really run into trouble and need the extra tyre to be in use, at least you have one. Even if you dont have tyre changing gear, there is generally someone who has or when you come across a fuel outlet you can have it changed there. Nothing worse than getting halfway up the oddnadatta track and having to buy a second hand tyre for a new tyre price. Now that really puts you of the rest of your trip. Michael
AnswerID: 39034

Reply By: landie - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:19

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:19
Just need to ensure you have a compressor that will blow the tyre back on the rim. some do, some don't.

Cheers
Landie
AnswerID: 39146

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 17:14

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 17:14
In addition to the above, it's much easier, with most tyres these days being tubeless, to carry a couple of tubes. Most of our portable compressors don't pump enough air or have a storage tank capable of putting a blast of air into a tubeless set-up to 'seal' a tubeless tyre. There are ways around this with ratchet straps to push the beads to the rim to make a good enough seal to allow inflation.

Personally, we carry one spare for the fourby, one for the camper and a spare case that fits all. But this is for extreme trips only. The case stays home mostly. You can pack a LOT into the inner space of a spare tyre case.

SKMost human problems can be solved by an appropriate charge of high
explosive."
FollowupID: 257248

Sponsored Links