Bigger tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 27, 2011 at 23:38
ThreadID: 88721 Views:2055 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2002 hilux with the 5.5" steel rims currently. I am looking at fitting some Dick cepek FC II tyres in a 265x75x16 and some 16x8 sunraisers. Will this put any stress or ware on anything? Like bearings? steering components? Diff?
Thanks for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desray (WA - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 04:18

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 04:18
You ask if they will stress anything, yes they will ,everything you mentioned but minimal in my opinion. There must be tens of thousands of Hilux utes on 31/10.5/15 tyres ,bit smaller than yours, maybe try 265/70/16 instead. You dont say if yours is a diesel ? it may struggle with the big tyres on . The FC II are not good on a wet road, have you had a look at Kelly Safari TSR. Sorry if it spoilt your plans , you could just about put anything on your Hilux , I have seen them with 33"diam tyres on doesn't seem to stop them.
AnswerID: 463673

Reply By: Fatso - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 07:05

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 07:05
Check the offset & see if they are going to stick outside your mudguards mate.
The number of tools you see driving around displaying their ignorance with their tyres outside the guards is amazing.
Putting a set of mudmunchers on that poke outside your car body is not only illegal it shows a total lack of respect for other road users. It helps throw even more stones & mud into the air. Even helps to break your own windscreen & rear view mirrors.
If you are going to have the tyres poking out you should get the whole set of accessories. That includes a dog cage, at least 2 of those dog collars for piggin hanging off the cage, 1 broken headlight, 1 broken spotlight, multiple dints, lousy paint job touched up with a spray can, wife basher singlet, pair of thongs for dressing up, a bundy bear sticker stating that you are a rum pig & one middle front top tooth missing.
Don't worry about the huge volumes of extra mud they throw up the sides of your car because bogans don't wash their cars anyway.
AnswerID: 463675

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 07:21

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 07:21
Good morning Mr Fatso
Get out of bed from the wrong side today ?

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 737517

Follow Up By: Fatso - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 17:43

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 17:43
Yeh Muzbry, must have eh.
It is a bit of a sore point in this house.
Number one son threw out the 16" rims & $2500 came home with 15"ones with the wrong offset & a set of mudmunchers as poorley matched.
After our many discussions on cars he has fortunately not acquired the full accessory package yet.
His small band of extreme 4x4 mates reckoned it was the way to improve the cars capabilities. Waste of money in the end cause after he dinted most of the pannels in the first 5000 k he gave up offroading & is now a black top jockey with tyres that are noisey.
FollowupID: 737577

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 09:16

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 09:16
By fitting those tyres you are unlikely to cause any serious component failure, but what you may do is increase fuel consumption by 10 - 15%, & loose acceleration due
to a larger rolling diameter.You will go faster at the same revs but use more fuel to get
to that speed. Speedo reading may also be innacurate. Your insurance co may get
narky as well if you dont notify them of fitting non standard equipment. I dont know what you expect to gain, but the upside isnt great, might look better, but little
practical advantage. That doesnt explain why heaps of hilux get around with big
wheels & rubber does it? Ask some of them. I put them on mine for soft paddock
work while spraying..less bogging, no other reason.cheers......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 463685

Reply By: south_maw - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 21:10

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 21:10
Thanks for all the info guys. I am going to fit sr5 flares etc to keep it all legal. Would it be more appropriate to go a 31x10.5x15 over the 265x75x16? Will this be a lighter tyre?
Will my fuel consumption and excelleration really be effected that much?
And fatso, theres nothing wrong with bundy rum haha!
Cheers guys
AnswerID: 463749

Sponsored Links