Rubicon Trail

Submitted: Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 14:07
ThreadID: 88753 Views:1482 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Just returned from an amazing two weeks in the US.
We spent a few day driving up the California coast from Pebble Beach to Eureka, that was spectacular. Every afternoon the sea fog would roll in & make visibility very limited & this would hang around until mid morning.
From Eureka we headed East into the mountains & elevation, even though the temp was pushing 30C+ we found snow on the ground & ice in the lakes.

We had a mate in Elk Grove that had organised a group of his friends to join us on the Rubicon Trail. The 4wd section is a total of 12 miles, big deal i thought he had allowed 3 days, he must have made a mistake, how wrong i was.
The first day we covered 5 mile that took us 9 hours. The next day was not much better, still took 9 hours but only achieved 2 miles, hard slow work.
It was like a rock crawling comp with only one stage, without the speed.
The landscape around us was spectacular to say the least. We got to camp right by the river & that was very soothing when it was time to sleep.
The company & chatter around the camp fire was like at home but with the accent, beers was consumed & banter was traded.

We have been asked back next year to make this an annual event. Even though the locals can do it any time the still love the challenge of the trail.

As soon as i have some images i will post the link.

Cheers
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 16:18

Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 16:18
D & D good to see you home safe and you had a great time.
AnswerID: 463803

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 22:03

Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 22:03
What about an EO blog with a few photos?

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 463824

Sponsored Links