Wonnangatta

Submitted: Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 15:40
ThreadID: 8884 Views:1728 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Spent a long weekend at Wonnanagatta in which all seaons were present but in the main fantastic weather. It was also pleasing to see the work that the Friends of Wonnangatta have done since my last trip in to clean up the grave sites and generally make this spot so attractive for others to enjoy. They were hard at it again over the weekend. Having said this however it was really disappointing to see that some "rev heads" had set up an automotive bull ring and ripped up two large camping areas on the creek opposite the old "Widow Maker". Add to this the smashed laminated windsreen dumped on the ground and several fires places set up all within about a 10 metre radius and it was fast becoming reminiscent of the mountain at Bathurst. Not a good look! As for the rubbish others left behind.........I had difficulty understanding why someone would take a chain saw to one of the new fences near the old homestead so as to make vehicle access when all they had to do was drive about 50 metres to come in from the north of the homestead to the same track?? Thanks must surely go to these "Friends" groups who, in the face of these odds, maintain their commitment to Wonnangatta and for others like myself to enjoy. On balance it appears they are winning however! Many thanks for their efforts and persistence!

For those with an interest, the track in along Crooked River was in good condition and river crossings quite easy as was the Zeka Spur Track and King Billy. Unfortunately the track around to Lovick's/Bluff Hut is closed so Brocks Road was our way out.Butcher Country Track
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BJ42turbo - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 18:26

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 18:26
Dispite the D#ckhead factor you got to admit it is a magical place though eh?
Cant wait to get up there this summer...........Dazz
AnswerID: 39082

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 20:17

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 20:17
I reckon its one of the prime high country spots. On Friday we basically had the whole place to ourselves and it was quite magical especially the sun setting over the mountains. Kids in the creek, cricket match on the track and a large group of us sitting back, relaxing and taking it all in over an ale. It doesn't get much better than that!!?? Should be back through there again just after xmas. Cheers Dazz.Butcher Country Track
FollowupID: 82876

Sponsored Links