'Super Loom'. Has anyone tried it?

Submitted: Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 19:17
ThreadID: 8887 Views:4554 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy gang.

Um, just a quicky about piranha's 'Super Loom'. It is supposed to give up to 25% more power to your existing headlights while using your original wiring. It simply plugs in & reduces voltage drop apparently & allows you to fit higher wattage globes. It all sounds good, I'm just hoping that someone else can verify it ?!?

cheers

rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 22:20

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 22:20
You can use those new globes that give more and use less, I think they were Phillips??

Lots less than the "SOOPA LOOM"....
AnswerID: 39102

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 22:47

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 22:47
The theory that the thicker cable in the Superloom will not have as much voltage drop is sound. You could probably do it as well yourself for a bit less money if you were that way inclined. Run some 4# cable around the front of the vehicle (WELL INSULATED, WELL SECURED!) and run your compressor/driving lamps/fog lamps off it too.
AnswerID: 39113

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:00

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:00
Not used Super Loom but have used the IPF one from ARB with great results.
AnswerID: 39142

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:46

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:46
Hi Rowen
The superloom is great because it overcomes two problems
-The wire is big enough to carry the current you need
-The connections are done properly so you don't suffer voltage drop.

I made my own up but it is a lot of work and if you don't have the tools and the fittings the superloom is an easy way to resolve the problems.

Why modify the standard system?

If you don't have 13.5V at the light (Lights on engine running) then you are not getting the full effectiveness from your standard system. I can't remeber the exact figures (one of the tech subscribers might) but if you only have 11v you have lost about 25% of you light output. Most standard systems will cause problems with high output globes because of this.

On my own vehicle, fitting a better loom improved the standard headlights so much that the (cheap) driving lights became redundant.

regards

A
AnswerID: 39158

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:08

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:08
Hi Rowan,

What do Piranha charge for their spuer loom? I too am interested in investing in the super loom as the headlights on the 80's series are pathetic.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 39221

Reply By: Rowen - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 18:59

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 18:59
G'day Glenn

um, when i spoke 2 piranha on the blower, they quoted $175 or there-abouts.

i was gonna check out prices elsewhere aswell & what they offer ( ie.ARB etc )

it sorta made sense 2 me that b4 i lash out on big spotties that i might aswell improve my standard inserts since thats an option eh ? it'd b nice 2 have good vision also on low beam!

let me know if you know any better systems/ prices etc.

cheers

rowen
AnswerID: 39318

Sponsored Links