geographical centre of the simpson

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:14
ThreadID: 88966 Views:2272 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of what are the tracks to the geographical centre of the simpson desert. There are tracks shown on some maps from the Madigan from the North, one from the west on the Colsen and one from the French Line about 30 to 40 ks west. of Poepells Corner that goes to the north and picks up shot lines. So the question is what is the best way to it? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outback Gazz - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:16

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:16
Helicopter !
AnswerID: 464750

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:18

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:18
No tracks, all cross country!!
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 464751

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:30

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:30
Where is the centre and by which method is it calculated?

Centre of Gravity method, furthest point from the official border of the desert and median point are three methods.

Probably something that would be hard to get a consensus on.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 464753

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:00

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:00
Hi Alan

The actual Geographical Centre of the Simpson Desert is based like all things, that if you were able to balance the actual Simpson Desert on a pin as such, this is the actual central location where you would have an actual balace. I have photos on my reply post below.

This is the actual spot:

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 738736

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:20

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:20
Thanks Stephen,

That is the Centre of Gravity method.

Trust you to have been there :))

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 738738

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:41

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:41
Hi Alan

Yes we have been there, a good few moons ago now.

The tower from memory is about 150 metres from the true GPS coordinates, but who is to argue when you are that remote.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 738740

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:53

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 22:53
Hi Stephen,

I may get there one day, won't be for a few years at least though.

150 metres, not very much - considering the centre is calculated using defined boundaries of the desert. Who's to say the border is at one dune, or the next one???

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 738742

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:56

Sunday, Sep 11, 2011 at 21:56
Hi Lindsay

If you are only interested in going to the Geo Centre, the easiest way - well in relatively easy terms compared to other ways is from the Colson Track. From the French Line at the Colson Track junction, head north up a very good track following the swale.

Image Could Not Be Found

After the Colson Oil Well site, you still head north for a few Kilometres before heading in a north east direct up the cleared line as shown on the Hema Map and also on the Topo Map. Depending on what mother nature has done to the state of the track, I can not say, but there will be times where the track will disappear completely. At a point where you come to the only old shot line heading in a north, north west direct, you will be on track, again this will disappear, but for only small sections.

Image Could Not Be Found

At a point where you are opposite the Geo Centre, you will again have to head further north, again shown on good Maps. From hear to the actual swale that you follow to the Centre, is almost back to its natural state.

Image Could Not Be Found

Once at the point where you turn to the south, it is a very good run through. Do not worry, you can see the town from a few kilometres away, so you can not over shoot the actual spot.

Image Could Not Be Found

If you are going to be technical, the actual tower is not at the correct location.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Once at the tower, the best way is to retrace your tracks. I made the big mistake of trying to go straight back to the main shot line and it took quite some time, as there were many dead end very deep and soft dunes.

Like I said, nature will change the tracks greatly and you will need to have had some cross country experience and very good moving maps.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 464760

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:34

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:34
Stephen,
Thanks very much for that. Now I won't be able to rest until I've been there!
Bob
FollowupID: 738755

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 14:23

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 14:23
Hi Bob

It is a good challenge. Then there is the return trip via many of the old shot lines where you can find some things that should not be there like this:

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

When we got home, I made a few enquiries to a couple of the mining companies that were in the area and from someone that once worked out there. All parties said that as part of the agreements that they had, any such pits should have been covered in, so someone was not doing their job.

We put it down to a maintenance pit, as there were old grease gun tubes in there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 738767

Follow Up By: lindsay - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 19:41

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 19:41
Thanks Steven, Could you please email me at lcfben@bigpond.com so I can have a yak about it please.
Thanks Lindsay.
FollowupID: 738787

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:26

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:26
Yes a very good trip, the route Stephen mentioned is the easiest way there.
We returned in a south easterly direction from the intersection of the shotline heading north and the shotline from the Colson and it was pretty hard going in spots until reaching Thomas wellsite and the gidgee forest. from then on well defined back to the French line.
AnswerID: 464880

Sponsored Links