New Honda Generator

Submitted: Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:40
ThreadID: 88972 Views:3456 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Especially when after attending the Penrith Camping & Caravan Show I purchase a new Honda EU20i Generator that normally sells for around $2,100 and I got for $1,900 from the Honda stand. It includes a protective cover, bonus Thermo Tek warmer/cooler for the truck, hand trolley with extendable handle to carry 40kgs, and finally, a motorbike style security cable. And on top of this, I'm to receive $300 cash back from Honda in a few weeks! I know it's a bit late to ask, but how does it compare with the Yamaha EF2000iS and possibly the Engels? I just want to know that despite the free "goodies" if I got a good/great product. I wanted it for a few things. For power blackouts, I want to run the fridge and a few lights, etc. and for our eventual caravan purchase. Also, the instructions mention an earth. In other gen sets I've used (SES, RFS) there never seemed a need to ground the unit. Anyone with ideas/tips/tricks to help me get the most of my new gen set will be most welcome. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: deserter - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:40

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:40
They are terrible - you wasted your money - I will give you $500 for it lol.

Nah - great bit of gear.
AnswerID: 464788

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 14:38

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 14:38
Mate.
you made my day.
FollowupID: 738769

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 20:40

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 20:40
I've had 3 of them, they all died within 13 months, so bought the Yamaha and never looked back. However I need another gennie so I'll give you $600??
FollowupID: 738796

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:51

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:51
Lozza , they are the pick of the bunch. There are literally dozens of them in use in ourpart pf the world. They use very little fuel (we get 60+ hrs out of 20litres running a 100litre trailblazer freezer and 3 engel 40,s plus camp lights. Have never used the earth on any generator taken out bush. Keep an eye on the aircleaner and make up a wooden tray with say 2-3 inch sides to stand it on. If in a sandy area keep it off the ground as much as you can to avoid the dust getting into the airbreather. If you are going to run it for long periods, ie days. then you may want to invest in the aluminium top and hose that extends the running time by whatever size fuel tank you wish to connect to your generator.
I have a honda 350, a yamaha 5kva, yamaha 1kva and the honda 2ka. The honda 2kva is easily the most practical and as many of the local aboriginal community people rely on them, they MUST be very reliable.
cheers
AnswerID: 464790

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 15:35

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 15:35
Hi Lozza,

There isnt much between the 2 (Yammy and Honda) I like the honda (cause I own one) Sounds like a good price though with the 300 hungy cash back.

My only tip is to not run it for extended periods of time unloaded, ensure it has some load on it.

They are a good thing and you'll get decades of use out of it when you do a little maint on em.

Cheers wilko
AnswerID: 464801

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 21:59

Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 21:59
Hi Lozza

They don't require earthing (as i have been told by learned friends).

Ours gets pulled out during long power failures and sits on the verandah with the cords coming in through the doggy door (do NOT run it inside the house). I run it on eco, and plug in the fridges/freezer one at a time on a hourly rotation, plus of few small things such as aquarium pumps, radio or UHF base and reading light. I turn it off at bed time. I seems to last most of the day on a three litre tank of ULP on eco, whereas when we used it for the caravan air conditioner we ran it on full, and it went through about a litre of ULP per hour. A great little machine; lightweight, easy to start, reliable and as quiet as they come.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 464857

Sponsored Links