Difference between Surf and 4Runner

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 15:34
ThreadID: 8906 Views:31750 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are looking to purchase a 92/93 Hilux Surf. What is the difference between the Surf and the Toyota 4Runner as they look the same. Does anyone have any opinions on which is the better?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ron1 - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:28

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:28
hmmm this is a good one.
if your in australia , i would say stay away from the surf and go with the 4runner,
surf was not brought into oz by toyota , there are surf models in oz but they were imported by other companys, which means in short ,that finding parts and full spec's for them can some times be frustrating,:( , both are on the same chassis and parts such as panels trim ect, are the same or close to it. extras will differ between the 2, electrics as in wiring looms are diff, im pretty sure both came out with differant motors, to cut a long storie short ,in the end what your happy with is what you'll choose, me i'd stick with the 4runner, thats not because i drive one , im a landcruiser man:) but i've owned a hi-lux duel cab , and had a lot of funn in it,
there not much as a heavy towing type , but i found it great off road :)
cheers hope this helps
ron

ps if u contact a toyota dealer ,im sure most will be happy to help u out , and they got a 1800 number i think that can answer most question, u may have , just ask them for the number
cheers
AnswerID: 39189

Follow Up By: ron1 - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:57

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:57
here got the nnumber for you ring them then make you choose,
toyota customer info service 1800-252-097
i just rang them and they said the same thing i did basicly, as i said in the end your gonna get what you want to get , dealer info or backyard info , way the two up
FollowupID: 238409

Reply By: wizzer - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:32

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:32
first difference is toyota didn't import the surf. individual companies import the surf. as far as i know all surfs are turbo diesel. either 3litre or 2.4l. surfs are basically all electric inside and generally have lower km's than 4runners (some have been wound back also). there have been reported cracking head probs with surfs also.

4runners are generally more basic inside, have more km's on them, come in petrol and non turbo diesel.

I own a 93 2.4 surf and was in the same boat as you are now. i didn't know which one to get either. the surfs changed to 3litre around 93 and they are probably the ones to go for. i have never had a prob with mine. do my own servicing and all parts are easily available.

wizzer
AnswerID: 39192

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:33

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:33
I think you'll find, the 4Runner is Petrol and the Surf's are Turbo Diesels.

Of all the grey imports, these are probably the easiest to find parts for and get insurance on.
AnswerID: 39193

Reply By: Tom - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:47

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 16:47
Check out this site:
http://pub12.ezboard.com/btoyotasurfdownunder

Lots of info on surfs.

I own a 93, 3.0ltr and couldn't be happier. Great car and parts are not a problem.

Cheers,
Tom
AnswerID: 39197

Reply By: Surf - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 18:37

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 18:37
Some one once said a 4Runner is a poverty Surf. Lots of gloom and doom stories relating to Surfs, yet most owners love em, myself included. Just like any second hand vehicle, it can be a risk, so have the vehicle checked out before purchase.

Cracked heads can be a problem, particularly in the 2.4 models, but thats not peculiar to just Surfs. The 3 litre has the same engine as the current model Hilux and Prado (minus intercooler) and most other parts are available from current/recent Toyotas.

There are a couple of Surf web sites in Australia where you'll get more than enough assistance if you ask.
AnswerID: 39204

Sponsored Links