Sunday History Photo / Person

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 03:47
ThreadID: 89093 Views:4636 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Chum Ferris was a pioneer of the car radio in Australia, although he never claimed to have invented the idea. From a tiny number of car radios manufactured in the United States at the turn of the 1930s, by 1934 well over a million were sold, and in 1938 Chum Ferris released the Ferris Fultone 56, the first car radio designed and built in Australia.

Image Could Not Be Found

William Malcolm Ferris, who died aged 93, was the son of Henry Ferris, a railway worker. The origin of the nickname Chum is lost in the mists of time. Ferris attended Sydney High School and made pocket money by repairing neighbours' electrical appliances.
He started his business in 1932, building home radio receivers one at a time in a rented flat above a Mosman butcher's shop. His elder brother George joined him in 1934, and they established Ferris Bros Pty Ltd - what would now be called a high-risk, high-tech start-up. Despite the initial success of the Fultone 56, war intervened, bringing with it petrol rationing and shortages. Ferris Bros diversified into manufacturing gas-producing units to provide alternative fuel for cars, and at one point was part-owner of a stud piggery in Blacktown.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

The old Australian made Ferris valve radio above was designed for both car and home, running off 240 or 12 volt. The radio bolted into metal hook brackets under the dashboard of a car and with some effort, could be removed temporarily for picnics or used in the home permanently. Heavier than a sackful of bricks, this radio is 'portable' only in that that it can, if needed be moved around - it's certainly not portable in any sort of lightweight, convenience sense.
After the war private car ownership took off, and in 1947 the brothers brought out the Model 74, which operated from either six-volt or 12-volt car batteries or 240-volt mains power. It was a great success and the Ferris name soon became a synonym for car wireless. In those days radio was king, and transmission quality and music recording technology had improved dramatically, but good sets were not cheap.
By being able to run on different power sources, the 74 allowed consumers to purchase a single radio for home and car, and print advertising of the day shows families with their Ferris wireless - "You can play it everywhere!".
The firm diversified into television and antennae production, and even released a line of model trains - "A joy for every boy!" - which are now collectors' items. The introduction of transistors, and a tariff-protected electrical industry, saw the company grow in the '50s and early '60s into a business employing more than 700 workers, putting together Australian-designed receivers. The transistor made an enormous difference - car radios shrank into the dashboard rather than being slung underneath, and started working as soon as you hit the "on" switch. Generations of Australians have never had to wait for a radio to warm up, let alone had to change a valve.
While best known for radios, Ferris Bros was a truly diverse operation, manufacturing TV receivers, laboratory equipment, even boat trailers and golf buggies. A keen sailor as well as a serial tinkerer, Ferris became so frustrated at the bad TV reception he had when his boat swung backward and forward at anchor that he designed a fully rotating antenna system which could receive signals from any position. This became yet another Ferris product.
Ferris sold his business to the Hawker Siddeley group in 1970, and changes in tariff law soon meant that it was uneconomical to produce consumer electronics in Australia. By the mid-1970s it was possible to land a Japanese radio here for less than the unassembled parts would cost locally.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Ferris was made a fellow in the Institute of Radio and Electrical Engineers in 1981 in recognition of his many inventions and pioneering work in Australian electronics. In 1998 he donated a vast amount of advertising material, journals and a large collection of radios, spanning more than 30 years of production, to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.

I had a Ferris Radio in my EK Holden, it was a press button model, and had a cradle that it slid into and locked in when the handle was folded down, I bought it at Jones' Music shop in Waikerie, SA around around 1966. It was all metal and very strong construction.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 04:17

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 04:17
Interesting story again Doug. He obviously passed on not too long ago.

Thanks for yet another great Sunday History lesson.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 465326

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 04:38

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 04:38
Good morning Doug,

Geat post. We had one of those portable car radios in the last photo in an XT Falcon in 1970 when Mrs Bush and I got married (40 years ago today actually).

We drove from Perth to Sydney across the Nullarbor, which was unsealed then.

In Sydney, we used to take that radio into the flat and we could listen to 6WF (at night) on it. No such luck now.

cheers, back to bed......

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 465328

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:46

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:46
Congratulations to you & your Wife on 40 years, Gone Bush.

Also had one of the portables, got it for my 19th birthday, and later bought the cradle to fit to my first ute, an EH Holden 179.

The sensitivity of these radios was unreal, and as GB has said, one could listen to many distant stations quite easily at night. Was on a station down the Diamantina in '67, and with only 20' of aerial, could listen to many of the Sydney stations, each night

Still got it too, but don't think the 9v batteries are still available.

Great story once again, Doug.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 739349

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 17:26

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 17:26
Congratulations on your Ruby Anniversary GB, we had ours back in April.

Enjoy your trip back and say Hi to Lyn & Ken for us.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 739408

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 06:28

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 06:28
Great memories Doug. A very innovative and diverse family.

Like others, I also had a portable in a Holden HR ute but it was stolen in Sydney. It was certainly a great piece of work. I do remember the underslung ones in dad's cars. As a young one, I remember fiddling with an obsolete underslung radio the same as the 1955 photo.

An aside, I personally knew Chum's son Mike who sadly died far too early. He had a farm in the Gunnedah area during the early 1970 to about the late 80s. Mike was survived by Libby. There was a brother, the name escapes me, also died quite young.

DW
AnswerID: 465330

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:40

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:40
G'day DW, I believe the other son was Peter. He & I attended a college in the
Riverina in 1964, but he left in that year. I was aware of his passing but dont know
of any details.cheers......oldbaz.

FollowupID: 739348

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:15

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:15
oldbaz

You are correct. Pete Ferris, the name is familiar now.

DW
FollowupID: 739355

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:17

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:17
Great post Doug,

I too had a Ferris, it was in my first car a EH Holden. Never knew until now they were Aust made. Thanks for the story.

cheers
Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 465344

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 16:23

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 16:23
good history lesson again Doug. i enjoy reading things on australian history...

makes my week.

look after yourself.
AnswerID: 465374

Reply By: B1B2 - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 19:08

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 19:08
G'day Doug,
That's pulled a few oldies out of the woodwork:-)) The portable Ferris I remember well, there were no radio stations on the Gold Coast, and my sister's boyfriend had one in his car that could pick up Brisbane stations from Tallebudgerra Ck in early 60's. No divided road to Surfers, and Southport only had fisherman's shacks. We used to stop at the Yatala Pie caravan at Beenleigh, on the way sometimmes.
Good one Doug.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 465399

Reply By: wafarmer - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 02:55

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 02:55
Hi Doug,
I still lament the passing of the Ferris radio's in our tractors as they were able to pull the stations better than any others.
The modern radio is of no use outside the metro area's in WA.
Add to that the electronic interference in most modern farm equipment and the radio is of no use.
cheers
wafarmer
AnswerID: 465439

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:28

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:28
wafarmer's lament has reminded me of another Ferris I purchased about 1980. Bought it at Kmart in the Isa, for $19.95, AM only, and no push buttons what soever.
Fitted to my work ute, a Toyota HJ45, and with one of those 6' fibreglass aerials, could pick up many local, and distant stations from out on the Georgina River.

Really pi$$ed off a truck driver, who had a new Mack Superliner, with a Jensen sound system, because he could barely pick up the ABC, while my $20 purchase gave me a multiple choice..........well, until the hot weather started.

A real case of they don't make 'em like they used to.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 739473

Sponsored Links