Engel combi 57ltr

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 22:06
ThreadID: 8923 Views:1969 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi , just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the new engel 57ltr combi (fridge/ freezer ) good or bad as i am looking at buying one , i would like a portable fridge with a seperate freezer area

Thanks cant wait for you thoughts
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:56

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:56
Hi,

A mate owns a camping store and reckons they are the ducks guts. Sells most brands and dare I say, he is now refusing to stock a particular brand that's plastic on the outside. He's sick of the returns. I helped him at a fishing comp in Oct and met a couple of the state Engel managers. If you can believe the hype they say it's the best yet. They didn't make a dual version until they had the design down pat. Must say though they had the bigger version out in the full sun and you couldn't leave your hand on the outside (too hot) but the temps inside where still -18 and 4 degs in the freezer and fridge, via remote temp sensors. I note that this was on 240v so don't know if 12v would be any different. My mate tells me there is almost no mark up on the standard versions, only about 10% so no lee way to bargain. However there is a 30% mark up on the stainless version so go your hardest. That's on standard retail prices of course. Who knows if they are as good as these guys make out only time will tell. The same mate is looking at buying one and I'm thinking of selling my 60 litre engel to buy one as well.
AnswerID: 39262

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:18

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:18
It very much depends on your intended use.

I have a Liemack Fridge and freezer combo that I bought some time ago because I thought it would be good for freezing meat to take away on long trips. After several trips I found that you can not store enough in the freezer and I now only use it for ice cream. The meat I now get cryovac packed at the butcher and this will keep for five weeks in the fridge. So I guess if you need a freezer for the ice cream then you need the combo.

With cryovac packs we now find we just take the 40litre fridge we have as well in the back of the car. The Liemack only travels when the whole family is away and that travels in the camper trailer.

Think carefully as it would be silly to buy a big fridge but only be using the 30litre fridge to its capacity.

For me fridge space is more important than freezer.

We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 39281

Follow Up By: funnyone - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:05

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:05
Thanks for your idea , never thought about how small the freezer size is

tHANKS
FollowupID: 257063

Sponsored Links