Centre Roof Console

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 22:35
ThreadID: 8924 Views:6005 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to get a Roof console made up.
I will be putting the UHF an AM CB's up there and a couple of map reading lights, there will be heaps of room leftover.

I was wonderin' what other owners of roof consoles have up there beside their radios. Just storage? CD?Cheers
waynepd
%
%:-)
%
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:48

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:48
I made our console and it contains UHF and HF radio head, radio manuals and our primary first aid kit. I also incorporated the standard aux tank fuel gauge and the silly baromter altimeter that comes standard in the GXL 80. At least the fuel guage is usefull. We also can fit the minties and other travelling goodies that are required on journies.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 39243

Follow Up By: cruiser - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:51

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:51
David,

How did you feed the UHF cable and power cables to the console ?

Did you go up inside the front or centre pillars or just up the inside of the windscreen.
FollowupID: 238474

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:52

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:52
Cruiser,

All power cables are run up the drivers pilliar (Fused +, Fused Ign, Dash Light & Earth). Up the passenger side goes the UHF ariel. Up the rear drivers pilliar goes the HF remote head cable (the HF is mounted on the cargo barrier near the fridge in the back) this is then run between the roof lining and the roof. This way keeps everything away from everything else (electrical noise etc).

Comming up the pilliars is a bit of exra work but the end result is worth a few expletives. I find the bestway to get up the pilliars is to use a heavy guage (read stiff) wire and get it up on its own, then tie two stings to this and feed both up, then use one string and tie one cable to it (also tie a new string to the cable & string) then pull the cable up leaving you again with two strings repeat the process until you have them all up. Why two strings, save an expletive when the first one breaks and you can leave it in place when finished if you need to pull up another one later on.

As for plans - I just built it using the measure, cut, trial and error method. Firstly using some smaller pine to build a light weight frame of the two sides then link them together using the same framming wood then cut and cover the how thing in 3 & 5 mm MDF. Sand, smooth the corners and cover the lot in vinal (speller please David) using staple gun and contact glue and presto. Half a day of enjoyable tonkering and you should be away.

For the record use the original centre light fixings to hold the rear up and use a fixing at the front, depends what you have - I had a little console for the altimeter and fuel guage, other may bracket from visors or mirror connections etc. use whatever you have up there and you will be fine.

Have fun!

If all this sounds too hard then just order one - use the Business Search - Accessories category I know there are a few advertisers that make them.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 257020

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:18

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:18
Hi David:
I would like to make an overhead console as well .. do you have pics??? I have been a bit unsure on how to go about building one.
Cheers
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 39245

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:19

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:19
Make sure it's a low profile type ie. On serious bumpy tracks your head doesn't hit it. And if you go ahead with it make sure your mike lead is not dangling as this distracts your vision - apart from flopping around and generallybleepyou off especially when in constant coms with friends and you can't tuck it away for more than five minutes.(Also illegal)
I've utilised the spare compartment under the radio for my UHF and AM/DSB sits below the ashtray in front of the gearstick.
I don't bag HF setups but out on my travels at campsites I've picked up contacts via AM/DSB (or upper & lower sideband) on quicker than fellow campers with HF transceivers, hence the portable hf type + EPIRB.
If someone will give me one without the big ugly autotune or plugin type aerial that's mobile i'll give it a go otherwise stick to sat hire for the once a year thing.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
AnswerID: 39246

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:48

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:48
Hi guys,
If anyone out there has some idea of where to find the plans for building a roof console for a GQ, I'd be very greatful if you could pass that on. I wouldnt mind making one myself. Cheers ..... AngeloI love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 39251

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:56

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:56
Take a look at www.consoles.com for a few ideas , I had them make mine it holds my UHF ,the two remote heads for my HF , 2x map lights plus the origional sun glass holder for the GU is still retained there is also 2 x speaker covers mounted , it cost me $440 which I am sure I could have made myself cheaper but the finish was spot on that they did and it looks like part of the origional equipment.Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 39261

Sponsored Links