Vandals

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 17:49
ThreadID: 89292 Views:2838 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just come back from a trip that included Innamincka to Birdsville via Cordillo Downs. Bloody hell what a disgrace! About a dozen road safety signs pushed over by 4wd's, cans of rum and coke thrown in creek beds, copious amounts of uncovered toilet paper and crap everywhere rubbish, plastic you name it. Wake up Australia! Bouquets though to the people who marked the washout with two little red flags. I reckon I would have just about torn my front end out had i hit it. Congrats!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Iain M - Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 18:35

Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 18:35
That is upsetting, keep your attitude Justin and have a "chat" when you see a tosser. They read the mags and want to explore the out back then trash it, mongrels.
AnswerID: 466337

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 21:19

Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 21:19
Justin,
good to see you enjoy the bush as it should be but nothing has changed since I was a boy.

My memory services me well in this case. Bush tracks..... were how many bottles, stubbies and tinnies to the mile. Signs you couldn't read because they were shot to hell. 44 gallon drum Letter box shot up and the bread would be full of shotgun pellets. Average of 5 dead sheep a week on the road frontage due to shooters.

We are what we are and nothing has changed since my youth.

That doesn't excuse the grubs. I am afraid it is just reality. What really makes me boil is when old sites are vandalised. When I see the tree of knowledge as it is today. I could scream. I haven't seen it since it was poisoned and when I did I just shook my head and walked away.

We can only try and lead by example,
RA.
AnswerID: 466349

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 22:00

Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 22:00
I agree, well said. Cheers Mike
FollowupID: 740466

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 22:27

Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 22:27
When we crossed the Simpson mid August we pulled into an isolated clay pan to camp.

We found beer bottles, tin cans, a 20lt plastic can and other sorted rubbish. I could not believe people would do this.Well lets at least say I was not expecting it.

We collected all the junk in a large plastic bag and took it with us and disposed of it at Birdsville.

I dont believe I am expecting too much from our fellow travelers to take your rubbish with you.

Wayne B
AnswerID: 466353

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 23:34

Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 at 23:34
You've travelled it just after the Birdsville Races.
Maybe they still think you have to toss the cans on the ground and a front-end loader will come by to clean up!
AnswerID: 466356

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 07:34

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 07:34
A couple of Diamantina Shire Council workers go out in the truck and pick up the rubbish by hand along the road to Windorah from Birdsville - you will all remember that there are/were a couple of wheelie bins at the Innamincka turnoff - that's for the sad people who can carry their beers and foodstuff in tins and eskys whilst they are FULL but the minute they are empty they must throw/get rid of. Never ceases to make me wonder.
Same as the people coming in from the Simpson Desert to Birdsville - first sign they pass is the one which says TIP but they cannot go there they must fill every wheelie bin in town.
FollowupID: 740478

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 17:11

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 17:11
Yeah Phil, I knew it was after the races so I guess I should have half expected it.
The rubbish is one thing but what sort of cretin get a warm feeling in his crutch when pushing over road safety signs??
FollowupID: 740506

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 08:12

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 08:12
Hi Justin,
Chicka & I were equally disgusted by the amount of toilet paper along the river banks

Image Could Not Be Found
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 466369

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 08:37

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 08:37
Image Could Not Be Found
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 466372

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:06

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:06
One of the more ever increasing rubbish concerns is the white daisies..the prolific roadside toilet paper....and there's plenty of 4wd'ers who are guilty of it..or their partners.

People seem unable to be able to clean up after a required outback roadside, creekside wee or dump.

You need a shovel, yep, a damn shovel, and how many out there travelling don't have one. Get off the side of the road and dig a decent hole, have a lighter or box of matches..yep, a match or a lighter.

Do your business in the hole, not over the countryside, or on the ground, in a water way or near one, or beside your car/4wd on the roadside. Yep, put it, aim it in the hole.

Then clean yourself up and put the rubish in the hole..or a zip tight plastic bag...are the women listening, even for a number 1, don't just chuck the tissues on the ground. If you put it in a zip lock type bag, take it with you for disposal properly, later.

If you have put the paper waste in the hole, then safely light it with your matches or lighter, you brought them along..right..watch it burn completely, then refill and tamper down the replaced soil. Pick up any remaining waste, paper, rolls etc and take them with you.

The reason you burn the waste paper is so that it is not uncovered, retrieved by animals, and helps remove vermin attracting odour in the area.

Happy and clean dumping, travellers.
AnswerID: 466389

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 13:58

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 13:58
Good advice Andrew, though unfortunately toilet paper can be hard to burn. Its not that hard to use a plastic bag to put it in though.

What really annoys me as well are discarded wet wipes which just dont break down at all and make a real mess.

Saw this sign at the big de Grey River free camp east of Port Hedland:
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 740502

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 16:02

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 16:02
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundG'day everyone

The scurge of travelling humanity is taking hold in all sorts of places, vacant building sites, secluded coastal dunes and any where you care to think of in out back Australia, shame really, because the "dumpers" are actually doing it to themselves, in the long run.

They may just wan't to return to a particular place they had visited before, just to find the place closed or heavily regulated because of ~ vandalism or illegal dumping ~ these acts of stupidity cost councils and park managers huge amounts of money per year to tidy up.

The images included are of the Ophthalmia Dam day use area, it was initially set up for community use with funding from BHP Billiton and the East Pilbara Shire, the gas barbecues and all the other picnic settings were in essence a gift to the Newman community.

Sadly, very sadly actually, some people in our community repaid the gesture by not doing the right thing, the dirty low lifes!!

There are times where I find it difficult justifying some of the causes these people believe in when they do this sort of thing and use the cry of " litter is not in our culture"
FollowupID: 740505

Reply By: hazo - Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:04

Friday, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:04
Its not just in the bush, I was walking my dog along a beach path last thing the other night (and yes I do pick up after it), which ends in a beachside car park.

Looking across the empty carpark I saw what I thought was two carrier bags, when I walked over it was fairly obvious that a couple of cars had been there and just opened the doors and placed their mcdonalds bags full of rubbidh on the ground and driven off!

If left the sea breeze would have taken it into the ajacent bush. The ridiculous thing was there is a bin not 3 metres away!

I blame it on the parents today they dont give bleep so the kids grow up thinking the same.

I may be an old fart but we were taught to place rubbish in a bin or take it home.
AnswerID: 466396

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Oct 01, 2011 at 06:09

Saturday, Oct 01, 2011 at 06:09
Would love to come across these mongrels, in the act, and teach them the meaning of the word, RESPECT !
AnswerID: 466447

Reply By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Saturday, Oct 01, 2011 at 08:07

Saturday, Oct 01, 2011 at 08:07
I know it sometimes annoys my other half but I always make a point of leaving my campsite cleaner than it was when I arrived. Even the small items give me the irrits. It never ceases to amaze me how many people must cut their cable ties and leave them where they fall and simply "twist and drop" when opening a beer. One place we stopped between St George & Cunnamulla was so bad we found it difficult to find a place to walk without stepping on rubbish as well as that which should always be buried!
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 466457

Sponsored Links