Kinchega, Mungo,& Mootwingee National Parks

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:47
ThreadID: 8931 Views:4192 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Further regarding my post about Burke and Wills, I was wondering about everyones experience of these National Parks. I know really nothing about them and would appreciate some advice about the worth of visiting them and time spent etc. I have had enough of the tropics - the tropical storms we get in Melbourne are enough for a while. My spa is filled with muddy water and mulch, my garage is wet, my Engel fridge was standing in a couple of centimetres of water in the garage. But now the sun is shining!!
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:40

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:40
All are worth a visit, do a "search" for each one. Mootwingee is very good for morning and afternoon walks. Great camping under the gums.
AnswerID: 39267

Reply By: Member - Vince- Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:46

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:46
Did mootwingee & Kinchega last july.
Kinghega was very dry with the lake ssystem empty, so can not comment.
Mootwingee was mind blowing. Make sure you allow at min 2 to 3 days and do the guided tour of the historic site, well worth the $15 (Ithink it was only$15).
We are off to the corner and innnamincka for 3 weeks next july so we will be reading up on Burk & Wills as well.

Enjoy the trip
Vince
AnswerID: 39271

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:24

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:24
Mootwingee is like a little pocket of the MacDonnell Ranges in NSW. Some good walks and lots of aboriginal art. Like visiting the Centre without the long drive. Mungo also worth a look but for different reasons. Kinchega just because you are driving past.Bob
AnswerID: 39273

Reply By: John - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:40

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:40
Mungo worth a look but will only take you about a day not that big an area.
AnswerID: 39284

Reply By: Member - Stephen (Broken Hill) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:56

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:56
I'll echo the comments of others.....

Kinchega is a bit depressing at the moment due to no water in the lakes or the Darling river.

Mootwingee is a marvellous and lovely place. It is tailor made for the keen photographer esp in the early morning and late afternoon light. The walks take you through some magic countryside.

Cheers
Stephen J.Moving back to WA - Jan 04
AnswerID: 39286

Reply By: Members - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 13:41

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 13:41
Thanks everyone for the replies to date and the ones still to be formulated. I am sitting at work reading this in between customers and you know what.........I WANT TO GO AWAY NOW. Boy, it just makes you itching to go.. but I have to wait until September.... I need something for my ITCH....LOL
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 39288

Follow Up By: Members - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 14:00

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 14:00
Stop slacking off and keep working then we can go away and then your "itch" can be scratched!! LOL

Jen2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 257028

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:08

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:08
Andrew and Jen, we fully understand the itches, our poor tootsies find it hard to settle when we come back to real life from the fits of the travels. Break the itch by having weekends away, even if it is a short distance from home and....... pretend.......you know if we stop playing we will grow old:>) We pack up the tent or van and head off down our paddock only about 250m away or so,away from the phone and the demanding work around the place staring us in the face. We have had friends come with us and strange it may sound we had a geat time. Just as if we went 100'klms come home feeling as if we had been places. Actually it is about time we did it again, this time we might go to our son's place just a klm down the road. He has just left to manage a cattle station up near Burketown. Jen, write messages under his feet that should relieve the itch.( Prescribed by nurse Jen)
FollowupID: 257037

Reply By: Member - Timothy - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 14:29

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 14:29
If you are following the Burke & Wills thread
then the Kinchega/ Menindee area is well worth a look.

The Woolshed in Kinchega NP is fascinating
and has a link to the B&W expedition

The big staging point campsite at Menindee is easily locatable
and not a bad campspot

and of course you can visit the famous "Thomas Paine's Hotel"
where it could be said Burke & Wills had the last cold beer of their lives.

What better excuse could there be to visit and have a cold one yourself.

TimothyDefender Extreme
AnswerID: 39291

Reply By: Hilly - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:22

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:22
I reckon you guys are stringing us along. They don't look like real words, more like a random selection of tiles out of a scrabble bag.

You easterners have funny names.....

Cheers,

Hilly
AnswerID: 39296

Follow Up By: Members - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:38

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:38
LOL LOL LOL. The names are great arent they.
I spelt one wrong though. Should be Mutawintji National Parkwhich is why I guess it looks funny to you. I think that this one was named because after a long trip the kids get tired and the "mother whingy" and has been Anglicised.
FollowupID: 257032

Follow Up By: Member - Timothy - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:05

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:05
Sorry ,
that should be MutawintjiUP, KinchigaUP, & MinindeeUP
so our WA friends arn't so confused

: )Defender Extreme
FollowupID: 257036

Follow Up By: Hilly - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:50

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:50
LMAO Nice one Tim...

Touche......

Hilly
FollowupID: 257168

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 17:06

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 17:06
I can only comment on Mungo. I recall somewhere that the oldest humad fossil was found at Lake Mungo aged 32,000years or something like that. There is a good interpretive museum and the drive out and around the lake should take about a day. I do think that there is camping or shearers quarters available but have forgotten the details. It is an ancient landscape.

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 39310

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 17:31

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 17:31
Andrew and jen we did Mootwingee and Kinchega in the september school hols and loved both no water in menindea lakes. As said above you only need a day or two in kinchega but in mootwingee a couple of days are a must. A must is the giuded walk very interesting.
All the best
Eric

4x4 tag alongs to the cape and beyond

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 39312

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:41

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:41
Recommend Mootwingee then White Cliffs, Tibooburra, tour of gold fields between Tibooburra & Milparinka, tour of Sturt NP, Cameron Corner, Innaminka, Coongie Lakes, South then to Finders and back to Melbourne. All roads to these places are suitable for 2WD (use to live at Tibooburra and all I had was a 2WD) except for out to Coongie Lakes. Ring National Parks at Broken Hill and Tibooburra - all extremely helpful.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 39342

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:46

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:46
Hi Andrew & Jen, Mungo is definitely worth a visit. There is a one way 60km circuit which take you along and around 'the great wall of China with many interesting spots to get out and look around. Although you can do it in a day the best & most spectacular photo opportunities are at dawn and dusk, so I would definitely recommend at least an overnight stay. As Williem mentioned you can stay at the old Shearer’s quarters but we found the campground at the main entrance to the park excellent.
Enjoy & take lots of film!
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 39343

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 21:57

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 21:57
We went to Sturt, Mootwingee and Kinchega National parks in the July school holidays. The aboriginal tour at Mootwingee ($20 per person) is awesome and you need at least another day or two to check out the other aboriginal art sites in the park. Kinchega is beautiful (although a bit dry) with heaps of cool history at the woolshed. We camped in one of the small campsites along the Darling river. There are about 20 of them scattered along the riverbank and they only fit 1 or 2 vehicles so they're good for privacy.

If you had the extra time, head up to Sturt National Park, just past Tibooburra. It has beautiful scenery and very clean campsites.

Our trip was Sydney-Broken Hill-Sturt NP-Mootwingee NP-Broken Hill-Kinchega NP-Sydney. We took 11 days... Enjoy your trip!!!
AnswerID: 39460

Sponsored Links