Toilets on the road

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 11:00
ThreadID: 89374 Views:8183 Replies:11 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
I was just looking at portable piece in the latest Oxploreoz newsletter and no mention was made of composting toilets.
I am building a small camper and just heard that the Dometic vacuum loo has been taken off the market. So I went searching and found that there is a small composting toilet called the Air Head, which is designed especially for boats and caravans.
Airhead composting toilets
It requires a little bit of management to keep it working properly and needs the liquids tank emptied every two or three days, but will look after two people for about a month without emptying the compost bucket. It has a small 12 volt fan which (it's claimed) keeps the unit odour free. I think mnit might need a carvbon filter.
It looks the business for doing your business and I think we'll end up installing one.
Apparently a lot of cruising yachties are using them. At $1,200 it's chaper than the Dometic and can go into a shower cubicle.
Has anyone installed one or know of anyone who has?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt L (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 11:04

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 11:04
I don't know about a carbon filter, but watch out from a carbon TAX
AnswerID: 466759

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 11:37

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 11:37
"looks the business for doing your business" Ha ha, I like that.

Have always been interested in this type of "convenience" because of the environmental attributes. But I wonder how it would be in your camper, ie would it involve more work than one of those chemical dunnys? You wouldn't want to be taking it easy, and have to be worrying about whether the bugs are doing their thing. Would suggest a spare fan motor would be a valuable inclusion.

Have noticed with those roadside composting toilets, that the more use they get, the less efficient they are......and smelly too!!! The dual one at Mt Connor Lookout, on Yulara road, is so bad, it takes a brave person to enter for any longer than you can hold your breath. Either totally unsuitable, or grossly (lol) overloaded.

If you try the Airhead, you could let us all know how it is, Keith?

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 466761

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 12:18

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 12:18
Bob, I think there are basically two kinds of composting toilets - wet ones and dry ones. The roadside ones you mention are the wet variety. I wonder if they stink as a result of having chemical toilets emtied into them, the same as can happen to long drop dunnies.

The Air Head is a dry one, which means that urine is from the solids by the geometry of the bowl. Unfortunately gentlemen using this loo have to sit down to pee. That's the downside. But, as blokes, the world is ouir urinal anyway.

There's a separate container for the liquids which has to be emptied every few days. Apparently adding a half a cup of sugar to the liquid container stops any pee odours when emptying the liquid.

Wet composting toilets need a much bigger composting container and often have a heating element to the excess liquids. They tend to be too bulky and too power hungry for caravans.

I just spoke to the local agent who says that the Air Head unit is absolutely odour free and no charcoal filter is required. It can apparently be used intermittently and the bugs live on. He said he has one in his boat, which is used every third week with a family of four, and has not had to empty the solids container in nine months.

Other blogs suggest that, if the compost mix in the loo gets too wet, it can become a bit smelly. If this happens, you add some peat moss and give the handle on the side a turn and things return to normal. LIke you, I think a spare fan and some extra starter bugs make good sense.

As dunnies go, they look a bit strange. But anything that avoids hauling off a 25 kilo of raw sewage two or three times week has to be a force for the good.
FollowupID: 740862

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 21:48

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 21:48
Certainly got plenty of good replies, Keith.

Years ago, I used to be an avid reader of 2 alternative lifestyle magazines, Grass Roots, and I think, Earth Garden. Didn't particularly want to grow a beard, or wear a kaftan, but was interested in things like solar power, & some parts of this lifestyle. No, not growing weed either, ha ha.

There were often articles on this subject, composting dunnys, not "weed", and wondered if you could find any of these mags at local library. Don't even know if either mag is still going, Keith? Just that they might have some of the info you are chasing?

Good luck with the camper too,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 741003

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 13:24

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 13:24
After a week of carrying a chemical Porta Pottie in the camper, I think anything that might smell less than those chemicals might be better.
We have a composting toilet (clivus multram) at home and it is certainly smell free. It smells much less than a water toilet, with all of the smells being drawn down the toilet by the fan. No need for deodorizing sprays.

A portable composting toilet sounds great to me - but at that price I too would love to hear from someone who has one......
AnswerID: 466766

Follow Up By: Lex M - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 13:59

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 13:59
Have a look at thread 89361 .

There is absolutely no smell when using nappy treatment products. I agree, those toilet chemicals stink.
FollowupID: 740867

Reply By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 13:50

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 13:50
Beryl, Is you composting toilet a wet type or dry type and is it bulky?

Most Thetfords seem to be in the $600-$700 range and the (no defunct) Dometic vacuum is closer to $1,500. Mind you, that doesn't make $1,200 for the Air Head cheap.

I'll do virtually to avoid emptying a portable dunny.

It would be great to hear from an actual user.
AnswerID: 466767

Follow Up By: stoney123 - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 15:40

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 15:40
i just have a portable toilet seat. I can go into bush, dig a hole and have a read. If it is raining i can use it in the tent with plastic bags.

cost about $15

FollowupID: 740873

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 18:18

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 18:18
At fifteen bucks, that's a great solution for everyone - with the possible exception of the other guys in the tent.
FollowupID: 740880

Follow Up By: Rudds - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:58

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:58
Took a porta potty up the river once for the wife & girls, I must have done some-thing wrong, dry-reached bad when emptying it,, ha ha, not much fun,, never again.
I reckon "go bush & dig a hole", but don't agree with "going in the tent", that's desperate, stoney 123, you should buy one of those shower/toilet tents. Might save your marriage and your mates might invite you next time. :-)
FollowupID: 740900

Follow Up By: stoney123 - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:35

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:35
We have only used the "toilet in a tent" on one occassion. It was during a thunderstorm. The tent is empty all day even during storms as we have a huge tarp out front where we can sit by the fire and enjoy the lightning and watch the other campers entombed themselves in dome tents.
FollowupID: 740933

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 17:21

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 17:21
If you need to empty the liquids every two or three days, there is no gain over using a standard cassette toilet and emptying it every two or three days.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 466779

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 18:50

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 18:50
We use Nappisan in the caravan toilet, we don't get a bad odour.
I takes no more than 5 minutes to empty the tank and flush it out nice and clean.
Add the Nappisan.
Put the holding tank back in the van and wash your hands.
I suppose being a plumber it doesn't worry me.
At some C/Ps you see women emptying them out.
Geez Keith Berg don't be a softy lol lol.

Cheers
AnswerID: 466787

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:22

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:22
Daza, I'm not a softy. I'm a wuss.
FollowupID: 740895

Reply By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:10

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:10
Keith.
Are you sure that the Dometic vacuum toilets are off the market? At the very recent NZ Motor Home Show Dometic had a stand showing their there latest vacuum toilets. They have renamed them from VT to VacuFlush, so that may be a confusion.

I have their VT2500 model in my Kimberley Karavan and it works a real treat. No smells or chemicals what so ever. The VT2500 has only the one cassette option at 20 litres. The new model has a range of cassette options, plus it has a larger pan.

Having used in the past, Jimmy’s Thunder Box, Porta Pottie and composting type, the Dometic Vacuum type is way out in front, despite the cost.

Clive.
AnswerID: 466796

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:32

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:32
Clive, I had my heart (or other parts of my anatomy) set on the Dometic vac toilet. But the Kimberley website says that Dometic have stopped manufacturing them. The Caravans Plus website says they can't get stock. The Sanitation section of the Dometic website makes no mention of it. That's all I know.

That's why I started searching for an alternative and came across the composting variety, which seem at first blus to be too good to be true. Although I did notice an ad for them on this site.
FollowupID: 740896

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 13:20

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 13:20
Keith your right.Kimberley do say that on their web site.

It does seem that it’s just the VT2500 that’s been dumped. (pun intended). Checked the dometic.com site and they list vacuum toilets, 5006, 5009 & 5048. These are the ones they had on show here last month.

Clive.
FollowupID: 740962

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 14:19

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 14:19
Hi again Clive. I called Dometic and they said that the VT2500 had been discontinued in Australia and that there were upgraded models being launched overseas. However there were no plans afoot to launch the upgraded models into Australia.

The sales lady said that a lot of locals were up in arms about it and that the decision may be revisited, but not this year.

I could not find the models you mentioned on the Dometic website. Maybe you could post the link?
FollowupID: 740963

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 19:24

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 19:24
Keith. It seems a bit silly not releasing the new ones in Oz. Can’t imagine what’s behind that.

I’ll put in two links, one to Dometic International, not au. The other is to an Auckland supplier that I’ve used a few times over the years, as they are still advertising the VT2500. If your quick you may be able to get one sent over.

If the links don’t work here are the addresses.

www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Toilets/
note the upper case.

www.marvel.net.nz

Clive.

Dometic International

Marvel NZ
FollowupID: 740984

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 20:05

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 20:05
Thanks again Clive.

I notice the new Dometic vacuum loos with the bigger tanks are quite heavy, at about 38kg. I am at the early stages of construction and the interest in the loo comes from pre-planning where we can run the pipes.

I think I'll wait and see what transpires. It will be at least a year till I'm finished my build, so there's no hurry. At this stage, I am still fascinated by the composting unit.

You can see my build on myswag.org - along with a million others. It's under the "My camper trailer build" section by KeithB - "No Canvas pop-up camper". I'm still on the chassis and haven't started the body yet. It's more a journey than a destination.

Thanks for your help.
FollowupID: 740990

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 20:45

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 20:45
Reminds me of a similar project, a hard floor, flip over camper that I set out to build a few years ago. Got the chassis all built and running on its wheels and was starting on the body when I went to the Brisbane camping show (again) and saw the Kimberley Karavan on display.

Came back to NZ, converted the chassis to a workshop low loader trailer for ourselves and got myself a Karavan.

Best of luck with your project, hope you get a lot of fun from it, the build included.

Cheers Clive.
FollowupID: 740997

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:16

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:16
We have a thretford porta pottie 345.Cost $168.
At first I was not happy with the idea but with wifey's insistance we bought one.
Have been towing campers for many years and have had a jimmy's thunderbox.
The thunderbox still has its place for long term camps placed in an ensuite tent with a jar of lime nearby.
However when you find yourself in close company or in a caravan park and the amenities block is 200 mts away and it is raining and those orange lights leave nowhere to hide and its 2am I think the porta pottie is the duck -uts.
We took the advice of others from this forum and have only used nappisan. Smells as sweet as and is environmentally friendly.
If the the thought of a bucket pooey nappies soaking in the laundry puts you off then this just not for you.
Also there ain't no smell like a wheelie bin with fifty disposables inside. One wiff and your vomiting and I came from the era of pan toilets up at the back fence.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 466798

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:37

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 20:37
I know there has been a lot of talk on this Forum about Napisan in holding tanks. Napisan is a powerful bleach and germicide. They say you can't use bleach in a septic tank. So won't emptying a load of Napisan into a septic potentially cause problems? Ditto for long drop toilets. There are now a lot of long drop toilets in the bush that have been damaged by toilet chemicals and you can smell them a mile away.

I realise a lot of folks use Napisan, and maybe the small amount they put in is all eaten up by the time it hits the septic. Maybe a small amount of the stuff in a large commercial septic isn't a problem. I just don't know.

One caravan park we stay at has a big Bio-Cycle style of plant and they ban all toilet cleaners other than a citrus spray. The owner reckons any kind of bleach is a disaster. If that was the case and with the number of people using Napisan, you'd expect every caravan park septic in Australia to be on the fritz.
FollowupID: 740897

Follow Up By: Lex M - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 21:44

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 21:44
Chlorine based bleaches are a disaster.

Napisan produces peroxide which is short lived, hence the need to redose after a few days.
FollowupID: 740908

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 22:11

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 22:11
Thanks Lex.
Mystery solved. I thought Napisan was chlorine based. Now it makes sense.

It just leaves us with the vexing question of whether anyone knows anything about these composting dunnies in caravans.
FollowupID: 740912

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 22:57

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011 at 22:57
Napisan is friendly to septic tanks.
We frequently use it and have had septic tank disposal for over thirty year.
Also have daughters with babes in nappies that soak in a bucket then the bucket gets emptied in the septic toilet no problems.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 740915

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 06:40

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 06:40
All sounds too difficult for me folks.......I think I'll keep my long handled shovel and Jimmy Thunderbox :-). Seriously though I've often thought about getting a porta loo for the camper but just haven't been able to justify it to myself yet. Whenever we set up remotely for a few days we dig a short-drop (ie about a metre) dunny and put the Jimmy over it. Couple of handfuls of sand or dirt each use and seems to do the trick. When in designated camping areas there are usually toilet facilities provided. I can see why some folk like to have their own convenience but for me.....well just no one of those 'necessities' just yet!
AnswerID: 466824

Reply By: IdahOz - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 14:04

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 14:04
Where 'to go' when out in the bush is one of the trickiest issues in this type of camping. We all do it but no-one much wants to smell it or handle it any more than necessary. I am always interested in hearing how others manage. I like the idea of a shovel and dig as you go, but have tried to refine it a little. We have a variation on the Thunder Box that means we don't have to dig a hole under our seat ahead of time, digging a hole comes at the end.
We use a "thunder down under" it is basically a bucket with a toilet seat on it and very cheap to buy. We line it with a biodegradable plastic bag or two and take along some biodegradable kitty litter to absorb liquid and odours. We also have a pop up toilet tent to put it in if we are in an area with others around. We can throw a bit of litter on top after each use and that and closing the lid keeps the smells at bay. The bags can then be buried when full or after as many uses as seems agreeable.
AnswerID: 466840

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 20:14

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 20:14
Ten years ago I had some abdominal surgery and they forgot to iron everything before they put it back. So I need a loo very, very close by, particularly at night. Sprinting into the dark with shovel, torch and bomb aimer at 3.00 am just isn't an option. Ditto for a dunny block 50 metres away.
Hence the need for an onboard loo. I am sure there are plenty of others in the same boat.
Thanks, everyone, for your advice which has taught me a lot.
FollowupID: 740991

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 00:06

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 00:06
My disabled son is quite a large boy. None of the regular Toilet sets you buy would carry his weight.

So I built one out of 20mm square tube. Works just great, and as strong as the Harbor Bridge LOL.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 466876

Sponsored Links