Broken Chassis

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 05, 2011 at 23:02
ThreadID: 89394 Views:6300 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
There was a thread on here recently about Airbags and their use on a Leaf Sprung vehicle

Image Could Not Be Found

Not sure if this guy had them but this is what can happen.

Picture taken from The Book "Birdsville My Year in the Back of Beyond", by Evan McHugh.

Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 02:09

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 02:09
wow............... love the pic ...... i guess we all need to be very clear on one point, it is nothing to do with the "air-bags", it is what they are fitted to and what they are expected to do ...............
Put landcruiser tyres on a tractor and it wont work .....................
Put tractor tyres on a cruiser and it wont work ..........................
Dont blame the tyres eh ...:-)

At the end of the day it is a Hilux..... i think .... the new models can not take any more that a few K's of beer on the back, add a steel canopy, tray, slides, other crud and it is overloaded......
Want to carry weight ??? buy a nissan or cruiser before 2000 and you will be fine.. yep more fuel but get over it

Cheers
AnswerID: 466881

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:14

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:14
Agree. Many of the nissans telstra has used in the top end suffered from cracked chassis. Land Drovers were shocking for the same reason. The landies didnt last long as everyone complained about them. The current twin cab light utes ie, navara, hilux types all suffer from chassis flex. Manufacturers seem to think that by using thinner gauge steel and putting in more strengthening creases the problem will be solved. Sorry, it might be alright for the bitumen but not the off road
There is definately no doubt that the older model tojos, nissans had a tougher chassis.
cheers
FollowupID: 741018

Follow Up By: bordertrek - Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:30

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:30
Joe n Mel kids, it doesn't matter if you buy a cruiser or Patrol, if you put airbags in and overload it the chassis rails where the airbags contact on become a pivot point.
Too much weight behind it and it will bend there.
Saw a twin cab GU Patrol at Oodnadatta a couple of weeks ago which did exactly that. Leaf sprung rear, had air bags, massive loaded steel canopy and lots of overhang. Even the reinforcing gussets welded along the chassis rails bent out too.
FollowupID: 741766

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 07:40

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 07:40
Yes I saw that pic too whilst in Birdsville bakery. Don't know the history behind what caused the problem but I think they welded up the chassis and drove it back out.
AnswerID: 466885

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:55

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:55
Most problems can be overcome very easily if they only followed a few basic steps.... decrease overhang and place weight in the centre and not at the back.

The flex point of a chassis is in the middle of the wheel base and anything past the rear axle increases the loading.... it acts as a lever.

When we set up our service vans we do a fair bit of calculation to distribute weigh left to right and spread the weight over the front and rear axles.

Too many people think by fitting airbags you can increase the weight carrying capacity of the vehicle..... Airbags should only be used to aid the rear springs.
AnswerID: 466892

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:22

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:22
hi all
when you have a good look at the pic you can see that 2/3'd of the load and including the body itself on that hilux is behind the center of the rear axle plus the spare wheel
and there lies the main problem with most ute bodies the weight becomes a whipping action forward of the front rear spring hanger on the chassis rail and on very rough bounsie outback roads each time the load is bounced the weight is multiplied by shear force and hence the resulting bend and/or cracking
and on some bent utes there is 2 spare tyres and extra fuel tank and side water saddle tanks
and the list goes on
plus a towbar and a caravan and /or a camper trailer hanging off the rear as well so that the leverage is multiplyed even more times again and also the whipping weight leverage factor
somethings going give sooner or later
two many owners are expecting far too much of a very lite duty chassis design
as they say ignorance is bliss and the after market moguls have a lot to answer for
their products are mostly great but the vehicles are not designed to carry all that extra weight
so is it any wonder that the chassis's are bending and cracking just forward of the front rear spring hanger
its simply the old lever and heal technology
and it was in the past and still is a fact that the last staw will break the camels back
that my 2 bobs worths
cherrs barry
AnswerID: 466901

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 16:06

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 16:06
I have seen quite a few broken chassis just like the one in the picture. Most of them had a slide on camper, a huge tool box, 100lts water and everything else you dont need to carry. All were fitted with suspension out of a dump truck in an attempt to keep everything off the ground.

Poor bloody vehicle are overloaded to the hilt. Manufacturer denied warranty understandably

Cheers
Wayne B.
FollowupID: 741041

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 17:47

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 17:47
A Tipper !!! That's Cool !! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 466933

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 19:30

Thursday, Oct 06, 2011 at 19:30
That particular vehicle is an extra cab, it makes the rear overhang more pronounced.. I guess a single cab would fare better with more of the weight further forward.. It would be a shock driving along and you and your passenger looking down to the road!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 466951

Reply By: bordertrek - Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:31

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:31
But that Hilux looks like it's broke in the middle, not between the spring hangers.
AnswerID: 467614

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:03

Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:03
Had a bloke getting his nissan ute fixed at mechanics in town here. Chassis was cracked and almost broken in two. Tank, brake lines, electrical lines all smashed. He does not overload it but it is used for outback travel . Not a happy camper.
AnswerID: 467656

Sponsored Links